Reload this Page >

Arizona Trip for Gay Travelers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Joe

My partner and I will bee making a trip next spring starting in Las Vegas and ending in Phoenix. We will be visiting Zion, Bryce Canyon, the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Does anybody have any recommendations for gay-frienly lodging or maybe just lodging that is more adult than family-oriented in any of thes places?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:09 PM
G

Didn't you just ask this same question last week?
About gay friendly hotels in Utah?
If you are seeking gay-dominated places in Utah and AZ they don't exist to the best of my knowledge.
If you're asking whether tourist area hotels in this part of the country discriminate, no. Touristy areas attract all manner of travellers and I doubt anyone there really notices who's sleeping with whom, or cares.
Now small town Iowa is a different story, but I'm not imagining any sudden upswing in tourism there before nuclear winter kicks in sometime in the next few generations.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Mike

G seems a little hostile, doesn't he? I too am a gay traveler. I have never been to this area of the country, but I am planning one to some of the Utah parks. Did you know that Fodor's puts out a Gay Travel Guide? I have found it to be very informative, though it doesn't have a lot of information about this area outside of the big cities like Phoenix, Tucson and Las Vegas. You will also find a travel book for gays put out by Access, as well as infomation for gay travelers in the Frommer's books.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:53 PM
remember

Remember the outrage a while back when someone asked for a non-gay hotel in Key West?? Let's not discriminate, OK??

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:16 PM
Joe

To remember, if that comment was meant for me, did I ask for a non-straight hotel? Are you and G related, you don't seem to know the difference between gay and gay-friendly?

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:23 PM
remember

.....and that sure does make me feel all empty inside.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Anthony

Joe:
As a gay couple, my partner and I trvel for leisure extensively (about 5 wks each yr; our last trips were 2 wks in Australia and Vegas for the Labor day wkend) and we make it a point NOT to choose gay-oriented lodging. We prefer to stay at a place that provides the best value for the moeny. That can be a 5 star resort or the local Fairfield Inn. Most of the stops you mention will only have motel-type lodgings;therefore, it won't really be an issue whether a place is particulalry gay-friendly or not. You will have more choice in Sedona and LV ( we just came back from a Labor Day wknd at Vegas - wish we had tkts for the Madonna concert!)
If you want recommendations for Vegas, just ask.
At check-in, you will invarably be offered 2 beds automatically; just ask for one instead.
We have never had problems traveling as a gay couple anywhere; Europe, Asia, Australia, or the US. In fact on the 2 crusies we have taken in the last 2 yrs, neither of them gay, we have danced as a couple in the disco, with no one batting an eye. On our 1st cruise, we had great dining companions, none of them gay.
Don't worry and have a great time enjoying the sights of sothwest.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Hetro

Just remember: people will not accept you until you stop referring to everything as 'gay' or 'gay friendly'. If you want us to accept you, you have to accept us and you don't that through segregation. If I wrote in referring to my "heterosexual" travel partner and asked about "hetero-friendly" lodging, you people would have a fit.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 04:04 PM
x

Getting just a little shrill there, Hetro? Some hotels are pet friendly, some are smoker friendly, etc., etc. etc. And there certainly are a lot of placess that are narrow-minded freindly.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:40 PM
nfb

And tell us, dear Hetro, when was the last time a hotel clerk looked askance at you and your heterosexual companion when you asked for a room with a double bed, not twin beds? Or held hands at poolside? Or danced together in the lounge?

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 06:01 PM
xxx

Hetro, if you don't get it you never will!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Hetro

If I don't get it now I never will?

That's the best news I've had all week!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 09:00 AM
whocares

I frankly don't care who sleeps with whom, or whether someone is gay, straight, or a little of both. But it's really insulting when someone infers that "you don't 'get' it."

The implication is that there's something profound going on that I'm missing. In fact, it's not profound at all, and most people don't care if they "get" it.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:15 AM
truth hurts

There's nothing profound, just a couple of sissies who couldn't make it with women so they had to do what they could.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:24 AM
xxx

I'm a straight white woman, "truth hurts". And no, if you can't understand why minority groups who are discriminated against by morons feel the need to be in a friendly environment, then YOU STILL DON'T GET IT and NEVER WILL. Generally, straight people aren't made fun of or beaten up for who they are and neither are white people. Most places we go are dominated by straight white folk. Try to imagine being on the other end and you MAY get it.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Adam

Come on people, this is a troll-baiter trying to get a rise out of you. Just let it go!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:47 AM
???

Why is everyone against Joe being a "happy" traveler?