Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Arizona in the summer (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/arizona-in-the-summer-1680775/)

Judyblue May 24th, 2020 12:55 PM

Arizona in the summer

This is our first summer in Scottsdale due to COVID. We’d like to find a nice getaway for a week this summer, possibly in an Airbnb that is dog friendly. Would love suggestions where to go that’s within 3+ hour drive and has walkable paths, cooler temps and decent restaurants to order in. Planning to keep the social distancing this summer.

patandhank May 24th, 2020 01:55 PM

Welcome to Arizona Judyblue! Flagstaff will be cooler as would the White Mountains. I suspect more order in availability in Flagstaff.

Judyblue May 24th, 2020 02:20 PM

Thank you. We are considering Prescott. Thoughts?

MmePerdu May 24th, 2020 02:57 PM

Bisbee, southeast of Tucson in the Mule Mountains, has all those things, about a 3 hour drive. It will depend, of course, on your taste in towns. You can get an idea by doing a search, lots of Bisbee information online. Definitely more of an off-beat destination than either Flag or Prescott, with a variety of day trip possibilities.

Gretchen May 25th, 2020 03:38 AM

Personally I wouldn't trust an AirBnB for sanitizing. If I was set on doing this I'd consider an RV, particularly in an area with national parks, etc.

tomfuller May 25th, 2020 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 17109416)
Personally I wouldn't trust an AirBnB for sanitizing. If I was set on doing this I'd consider an RV, particularly in an area with national parks, etc.

Rent a small motor home with AC and head for the Flagstaff/Sedona area. Less than an hour out of Flagstaff is the Arizona Snowbowl which is at an even higher elevation.
Having the motor home is a lot more flexible than being stuck in one AirBnB.

Jean May 26th, 2020 10:54 AM

Sanitizing a motor home yourself would take less time, but I wouldn't trust an RV rental company any more than I'd trust an AirBnB. Your choice, depending on your risk tolerance.

Judyblue May 26th, 2020 12:26 PM

Thank you all for the replies so far. I think we will feel comfortable using Airbnb with a Superhost—they can’t afford bad press. We are definitely not RV people. Still open to hear about other locations that would be cooler and fairly close by. Thanks again!

odie1 May 26th, 2020 04:50 PM

White Mountains will give you nature, dog friendly, and MUCH cooler temperatures. Ordering in will be more limited, especially depending on whic=h town you choose. My top choice would be Greer but only three restaurants and one private caterer to choose from. Hard to beat the serenity of this area.

MmePerdu May 26th, 2020 08:00 PM

Bisbee tends to be about 10° cooler than Tucson & 20° cooler than Phoenix/Scottsdale.

HappyTrvlr May 27th, 2020 04:54 PM

Judy, many life long Tucson as have summer homes in the White Mountains, Show Low, Pinetop, Lakeside, etc. The air there reminds me of the Colorado Rockies, cool and crisp.
Some have places in Sedona and many spend summers in San Diego. Any of these places will offer escapes from the heat. And these are residents of Tucson which can be up to ten degrees cooler than Phoenix and Scottsdale due to the higher altitude. I can give you the contact info for an excellent rental agency for San Diego if you wish.

Judyblue May 27th, 2020 05:10 PM

Thanks and you’re right! We are looking at places with more upscale options to order in safely and have walkable towns. We have family in San a Diego, but it’s be harder to social distance! So far, Prescott is looking pretty good.

tomfuller May 28th, 2020 07:01 AM

Predicted high today in Phoenix is 109* It is not even summer yet.

anikamiller8419 May 28th, 2020 09:00 AM

Prescott sounds like a good choice for you. It is full of adventure and historic landmarks. You will have the change to practice social distancing and explore the beauty of nature, while relaxing. There're plenty of activities such as kayaking, fishing, hiking, mountain biking. That's if you're more the adventurous type, otherwise, historical sites will do just fine. Stay safe and healthy!

Judyblue May 28th, 2020 09:06 AM

Thanks! Same to all of you!