Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Arizona in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/arizona-in-july-762956/)

Lisaandfamily Jan 22nd, 2009 11:14 AM

Arizona in July

We are considering a vacation to Arizona this July (with kids) to visit Scottsdale area, Sedona and Grand Canyon. My husband and I did a similar trip 18 years ago and remember it being hot in Scottsdale but more reasonable as we moved north. Can anyone give me info on travleing to these places in July (weather) and must sees?

sf7307 Jan 22nd, 2009 11:25 AM

July in Scottsdale -- average daily high temperature range is from a low of 103 to a high of 104 degrees F. Not fun unless you're in the shade at the pool.

Sedona's range: 96-97 degrees F. Hiking?

Grand Canyon: 77 degrees.

So, if you can get to the Grand Canyon without passing through Scottsdale or Sedona, sounds good, otherwise, sounds too hot to me (and this is from someone who traveled to Egypt in August last year, where the average temps ranged from the high 90s to 108 -- if it's the only time you can go, as it was for us and Egypt, then grin and bear it!)

Lisaandfamily Jan 22nd, 2009 11:34 AM

ok thanks - Have you been there before. We were in Ephesus last July and survived the heat there - but it was tough!

NewbE Jan 22nd, 2009 12:00 PM

I myself would not choose to spend much time in Scottsdale at that time of year, but it is very doable. First of all, it's a dry heat, which makes it far more tolerable than, say, 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity; and temps do drop at night. And loads of people visit the GC and Sedona in the summer, so don't let fear of heat dampen your spirits! Wear sunscreen and enjoy.
(Btw, a rule of thumb for how to gauge temps in AZ is to use elevation: lower areas will always be hotter than higher.)

NewbE Jan 22nd, 2009 12:01 PM

Meant to add that I lived south of Tucson for a couple of years and took many visitors (family and friends) up to Phoenix, Sedona and the GC...

sf7307 Jan 22nd, 2009 12:19 PM

I was in the Grand Canyon many years ago so I can't comment on that.

We go to Scottsdale at least once a year, and yes, we have been there (and Palm Springs, which has a very similar climate) as late as June. I would choose to avoid it if I could. I definitely would not plan to do any sightseeing. While dry heat is better than heat with humidity, it's still HOT. I think planning to do outdoor activities that have you in the direct sun is crazy. Again, if you can stay out of the direct sun, it's very very doable (that's the difference between dry and humid heat -- if it's humid, you can't escape it, if it's dry, you can to some extent).

I have been to Sedona but in April. It's gorgeous, but what is there to do other than hike and look at the red rocks? So, would I go in summer- no, again, because I wouldn't want to be hiking in those temperatures. Sedona is tailor-made for a spring or fall trip!

ksucat Jan 22nd, 2009 04:02 PM

we always go to Phoenix/Scottsdale in July..5 star hotels for $100+ and we have fun in the pool and then head up to Sedona for 3 days and usually stay at a nice resort and eat, drink and hike..it is cooler but still hot but I love it.
Haven't done the Grand Canyon..that is too much heat and hiking combined that wouldn't work for us.

Check Expedia for Royal Palms, Fairmont Princess, Phoenician..they were $119 a night..normally, $500+ a night!

Lisaandfamily Jan 22nd, 2009 05:31 PM

Thanks - good info. We are not planning on any big hikes - more just sightseeing with our 15 year old and 10 year old. We just want to show them what the southwest is like - Grand Canyon, etc. Have to do it during the summer months due to kids vacations. Do you have a favorite place in Sedona? We are the resort types. Anyone have any info on things not to miss on a trip like this?

elnap29 Jan 22nd, 2009 05:37 PM

We have gone to Sedona in July and August and really enjoyed it. With kids, you want to let them enjoy swimming as much as possible, while you can put up your feet and ejoy the great scenery while they swim!

Check out Slide Rock State Park! The kids would really love that. Also a jeep tour would be fun.

Luv2TravelRU Jan 22nd, 2009 06:35 PM

Lisa - Scottsdale will be hotter than blazes in July - Sedona not too much better - I would go to Flagstaff - less expensive rates - much cooler weather - lots of great pubs and restaurants and stay there - Sedona is about an hour away with a great view for driving - and then one day go to Lake Powell on a boat tour on the Lake - will be cooler with breezes - although still hot as well - you are going to the desert so desert ye shall receive - I don't think the monsoon will be there at that time of year - if so then you will also get humidity.

USNR Jan 23rd, 2009 03:11 AM

The southwest (Arizona) monsoon extends from about Memorial Day through mid-September. July is in the very middle of this rainy season.

Bill_H Jan 23rd, 2009 07:16 AM

<b>The southwest (Arizona) monsoon extends from about Memorial Day through mid-September.</b>

&quot;Monsoon&quot; in Arizona begins with with 3 consecutive days or more of dew points averaging 55°F or higher, regardless of whether it rains or not.

This typically begins in early July.

<b>July is in the very middle of this rainy season.</b>

The average rainfall in Phoenix for June, July, August and September <b>combined</b> is less than 3 inches anually. About what you find in one good summer storm in Florida.

The humidity and high temperatures are uncomfortable, and you can run into nasty afternoon duststorms though.

OO Jan 23rd, 2009 08:04 AM

I spent a couple of weeks in Phoenix in July helping our DD move, and would never voluntarily go there again in the summer...and this is from someone who lived in Tampa for 9 years and currently lives in San Antonio! Dry heat or no, 103 and up is unbearable for any daytime activities other than the pool.

USNR Jan 23rd, 2009 09:13 AM

Bill H: you will have to excuse my comments. I've only lived in AZ for 26 years.

skigirl Jan 23rd, 2009 11:47 AM

We did this trip three years ago and it was fine. Just so you know we live in upstate NY so we are NOT fond of high heat.
We flew in and out of Phoenix, where it is indeed hot. But we rented a car and drove to Sedona, where it was much better. We did a Pink Jeep tour and absolutely loved it, and also did some morning hiking which was really ok. Just take water with you. Because it is so dry, the evenings and nights are much cooler than the days. Then we drove up to the Grand Canyon for two days, did some hiking and lots of sightseeing and again, the heat really wasn't an issue. As a matter of fact, we got up early to see the sun rise over the canyon (NOT to be missed - one of my all time favorite experiences) and needed hot showers when we got back to the room to warm up. Now as you hike into the Canyon, it does warm up quickly, the farther down you go. We left the Canyon by the eastern route, through the Cameron Trading Post. Do not miss the Navajo tacos. Our next two nights were spent in Chinle to see Canyon de Chelly, again one of our favorites of the trip. Seeing the Navajo cave dwellings in the canyon with a Navaho guide was just awesome. Coming back towards Phoenix we drove through the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, and finally spent 2 nights in Scottsdale before flying home. As I said, it truly is HOT there - but the good part is that you can stay at 5 star resorts for a really reasonable price at that time. We were at the Phoenician which is quite an experience. We did manage to walk around some Scottsdale shops for awhile in the morning (you just go inside when you need to cool off), and of course when you're at the resort go to the pool. I would definitely repeat this trip in the summer - for us it was the only time to go as well. Enjoy!