ARIZONA; In honor of our family

Old Mar 30th, 2021, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARIZONA; In honor of our family

We will be staying in Arizona honoring family members who are no longer with us, and, exploring Bisbee; Douglas; Middlemarch; Glenbar; Graham; Matthews; Safford; Pinal, Gila and Pearce. We have six full days, leaving on the seventh day.

We are too far from the Grand Canyon! Can you suggest must sees, or epic experiences at or near any of the above places? Dune buggy rides, rafting, caverns, bbq's, outdoor concerts are some of the things that interest us.

Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 04:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
In February 2020 just before Covid, I took a trip on Amtrak on the Sunset Limited from Los Angeles to Tucson (overnight). Enterprise picked me up at the train station. I went to a meeting of geocachers in Yuma. After the meeting on Monday 2/10, I walked across the border into Los Algodones Mexico and found some caches in town. I drove back to Tucson and Enterprise was good enough to drop me back at the train station. I was back home on 2/13 in Oregon. The Sunset Limited also stops in El Paso if you wanted to go that far east.
In November 2019 I took my wife to Arizona. We flew on Allegiant into the Phoenix/Mesa airport. We drove north to Flagstaff and made day trips from there to the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Winslow among others.
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 07:33 AM

There's Kartchner Caverns and Chiracahua National Monument is well worth a visit since you're so close.
Old Mar 31st, 2021, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Patty, those are great options thank you!

Tom, driving to Flagstaff will put us too for out of the area. If we have time we might drive to El Paso - itís 4.5 hours from Bisbee or I may save it for another trip. I am looking into your other suggestions- thank you.

i hoping there is something EPIC we can do in the areas listed on original post.

Another amazing thing would be panning for gold, finding/digging for precious gems or going to natural hot springs.

Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 04:49 PM

We did a golf cart tour of Bieber while there for a long weekend a couple of years ago. It was fun to hear all history from the driver.

Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 04:49 PM

That is supposed to be Bisbee.
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 06:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
After leaving Bisbee in 2012, I returned to visit a friend in late 2018. I wrote a blog about it which doesn't have a lot to do with your visit, except at the end I listed a number of things to do in Cochise County which may be of use to you:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/nowhere-arizona
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

patandhank a golfcart ride is intriguing, especially if it includes historical info, thank you, I will look into that

MmePerdu your pictorial of Bisbee was beautiful, peaceful and perfect. Thank you.

Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by donnae_b View Post
MmePerdu your pictorial of Bisbee was beautiful, peaceful and perfect. Thank you.
Go to the Bisbee link for Bisbee, photos are at my friend's place in peaceful McNeal about 15 minutes away.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Mme, are there any natural hot springs or nice river areas where we can hang out and get in the water?
Do you know of any dune buggy companies that give rides in the desert? We arrive on a Saturday, are there any local or Native American events we can partake in? Is there a place we can see a concert?
Thank you.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 08:13 AM

I'm not going to be much help given your interests. No to hot springs or river swimming. I've been away too long to know about currently planned events. Have you looked at the links I provided in the blog above? Those pretty much cover what's there + google "events in cochise county az" for websites with the latest.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Mme, I will look at the link again and I thank you for sharing it with me. Sincerely, Donnae
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 09:20 AM

Tombstone is not too far and it's worth spending an afternoon. In Bisbee you can tour the Queens mine and that's pretty interesting. A bit further north into Tucson you can hike Saguaro (or just drive the loop) national park, have one of the many beautiful hikes in Sabino Canyon, or try driving up Mt Lemmon and riding the chair lift at the top.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

TheTravelingLocals excellent ideas, thank you!