Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Arizona Highlights?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/arizona-highlights-14786/)

Polly Jun 4th, 1997 07:00 PM

Arizona Highlights??

My husband and I are planning a whirlwind tour of Arizona; everything we can squeeze in except the western side of the state...Beeline Highway between Phoenix & Sedona, Sedona, Preston, Jerome, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Pertified Forest, Route 60 from Holbrook to Phoenix, Tucson, Tombstone, Nogales, and finally Phoenix. Please recommend a "don't miss" along the way. I am okay with most of this from my readings, but can't zero in on things of interest in Phoenix/Tucson. We enjoy scenic drives and picnics along the way, but we are not hikers. Also historical sites (my husband is a western movie buff) and shopping, but I'm not into southwestern paraphenalia. I am looking for the museum that houses Ansel Adams photography and we will be visiting Taliesen West. Any other recommendations. (We are set with lodging...that is not an issue). Thanks.
PS What about the Apache Trail??

michele Jun 7th, 1997 02:38 PM

just got back from a wonderful vacation, we mostly stayed in southern utah, a few miles north of page, arizona is a town in utah called kanab. it's a wonderful little town w/ great locals. for your husband, the western movie buff, there's a must-see FRONTIER TOWN, it has parts of movie sets in excellent condition layed out like an old western town. you can rent oldtime western outfits, have your picture taken, listen to cowboy music and have a beer. we had a great time (i originally was skeptical about dressing up but found roleplaying downright liberating). Also, if you can stay at gouldings while at monument valley it will enhance your time there. any questions, email me!

Polly Jun 7th, 1997 09:29 PM

Frontiertown, where?

Cindy Ziegler Jun 8th, 1997 12:05 AM

In Tucson, try stopping by the Sonoran Desert Museum, off of Speedway Rd. It's near Old Tuscon (which your husband would like if he's in to old west. Near Payson, there's Tonto
Natural Bridge, off Highway 87. I live in Mesa, and whenever we have guests, those are two of our favorite places to take them. As for Apache Trail, there's lots to see, starting
with Goldfield, a restored mining town, Lost Dutchman Park in the Superstition Mtns.,up to Canyon Lake, Tortilla Flats, and if you date continue up the trail, Fish Creek Hill is a
test of yor nerves. Most of Apache Trail is narrow roads and lots of curves and steep climbs, but past Tortilla Flats, it can be pretty scary! But, if you continue, there's Apache Lake and
finally Lake Roosevelt. Hope thishelpt, and if you see Red Mountain on your travels, think of me. That's what I look at out my kitchen window. We love it here!

michele Jun 9th, 1997 04:09 PM

Frontiertown is located in Kanab, Utah, which is about an hour (?) from page, arizona

Jon Jul 8th, 1997 10:57 AM

Good luck staying at Goulding's; we tried and all those tour buses booked it solid. We stayed in Blanding, UT, 70 mi. north, but the scenery and sunsets en route were worth it. Goulding's has a good restaurant for breakfast or lunch and a neat trading post with memorabilia of the movies that were filmed there. Navajo National Monument is nice, take a cruise on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge. Find good bargains on jewelry just outside Monument Valley park entrance.