Arizona - Help planning!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide whether I should take my family of 4 (husband, boys ages 5 & 7) to AZ for Fall Break (4 days) or for Spring Break in 2019 (9 days).

Thinking of: Fly in to Phoenix on November 1 (from east coast) and fly out on November 5. Would like to see Sedona, Grand Canyon & Possibly Page.

or should we wait until spring break to fit in Bryce/Zion?

What is realistic?
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When is your spring break? They vary a lot. November is a beautiful time to visit much of Arizona.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 01:01 PM

Four days is not enough time for the amount of activities you can find in the region. .. take more time and add Flagstaff, Jerome, Meteor crater, Williams, Sunset crater, Scottsdale, Slide rock, some water parks, some Cowboy stuff, and the Canyon...
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Bryce will probably still be cold and snowy over Spring Break, unless yours is especially late next year.

For November, I would stick to Sedona and Grand Canyon with the amount of time you have. Or head south to Tucson and save the Grand Canyon, etc for Spring Break when you have more time to visit everything in the area.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 06:10 PM

You could probably fit in Sedona, GC and Page in your fall timeframe but why would you want to? If there are any flight delays, bad weather, traffic jams, construction, etc., your trip could be ruined. Phoenix is a large airport, often crowded, from landing, getting a car and reaching the north city limits could take you a couple hours or more..

Why not take take spring break and include all except you might need to skip Bryce, depending on weather but even if you do there is still Painted Desert, petrified Forest, Meteor Crator, Montezumas Castle, Oak Creek Canyon and many sights in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area that might be of interest to you and your boys. My favorite time of the year is March and April in Arizona
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 05:37 AM

I would wait for the longer trip and include Zion, looking into doing a loop trip from Las Vegas.

BTW the South Rim is already pretty nippy overnight in November. But if Grand Canyon is your main interest, I would be okay with doing just that for the short break, you can fill the 4 days.

PS not a fan of Sedona. It's main claim to fame is it's near Phoenix, I think. I might just head straight to Flagstaff or Williams if you are arriving mid day and don't think you can get to the GC before sundown.

Last edited by mlgb; Aug 13th, 2018 at 05:42 AM.