Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Arizona 7 day trip itinerary help requested (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/arizona-7-day-trip-itinerary-help-requested-461197/)

starfish1 Jul 20th, 2004 01:52 PM

Arizona 7 day trip itinerary help requested

Hi folks,

Wow! This is the third time I've tried to post so apologies if the originals show up sometime. Just decided it was time we saw this awesome part of the country so would love to hear from anyone who has been on what the highlights were for you (other than the Grand Canyon!) We're also open to any suggestions on itineraries that would include the "best" of Arizona for the time we have. Not sure where the best place would be to start the trip but we will probably be flying in to Phoenix and then renting a car. Or does Las Vegas work better - I guess I really need help so thanks in advance for any feedback!

mwessel Jul 20th, 2004 03:15 PM

Hi Starfish
We're doing a Las Vegas / Grand Canyon / Sedona vacation in about two weeks. I can't speak to all the best highlights since we haven't been there yet, but I can share with you some of the things we've got planned as well as some of the things I did years ago when visiting there.

Don't know where all you plan to go, but if you're down as far as Tuscon, a must see is the Saguaro National Forest. Being from Ohio, I felt like I was on another planet. A most impressive, unusual landscape. It was August when I was down there and the air was so hot I would have sworn I was standing in an oven.

Old Tuscon is touristy, although fun and interesting at the same time. You'll recognize some of the buildings from old westerns.

Last time I was in Arizona was about 20 years ago so I can't wait for our "big" family trip there in August.

We fly into Las Vegas (cheapest flights from home) and then plan to drive to Grand Canyon and spend a couple of days there. Reservations at Kachina Lodge with canyonside room.

From there we head to Sedona, stopping along the way at Wupatki national Monument (ancient pueblo) and Sunset Crater (a volcano). Once in Sedona we hope to do a jeep tour, as well as scenic drives around the area. Slide Rock State Park is a planned stop as well as checking out some of the noted vortexes for my daughter who aspires to be psychic or at least in tune with the universe. Also plan to check out Montezuma's Caste, The Chapel in the Rocks, Jerome and possibly Pulatki ruins with cave art while there.

Do a search on Antelope Canyon, someone posted a link for photos they took there and it is truly incredible! I wish we had that worked into our itinerary.

Lots of people who have been to Arizona and Grand Canyon can recommend great hikes and areas not to be missed.You'll find a treasure trove of advice, ideas and trip reports on this site if you search the different names of the places you have in mind. Have a great time planning your trip and once we get back from ours I'd be happy to share all the highlights.

starfish1 Jul 20th, 2004 03:31 PM

Hi mwessel,

Thank you so much for your trip details and I would love to hear how it went when you get back. Sounds amazing! I will be sure to do a search for further information. Just aren't quite sure where to start but you've given me some great stuff to get going on. We're also wondering if there are a couple of good places to use as 'home base' that we can just do day trips from (ie. Sedona and ?)instead of staying in many places. Anyway, lots to read and thanks again. Have a fabulous trip!

Postal Jul 20th, 2004 04:36 PM

Saguaro National Park is both east and west of Tucson; I prefer the (free) west side section.

Unless you're bringing kids who want to see shoot 'em up stuff, you may want to visit the town of Mescal, a movie set where movies like "The Quick and the Dead" were filmed and is now opened to the public a couple of days per week. MUCH better than Old Tucson, although both places are owned by the same company.

dfrostnh Jul 21st, 2004 03:36 AM

I recently spent a week in Phoenix but could only spend a couple of days sightseeing on a bus tour. I enjoyed Montezuma's Castle a lot and read every little sign on plants and trees which explained their use. This gave me a new understanding of desert plants. The bus made a stop before we got to Flagstaff where local people were selling jewelry. Prices were cheaper than gift shops and there were some who had very nice pieces. Unfortunately for me they took cash or check only. The tour didn't allow much time in Sedona but I lucked out when the bus stopped directly in front of the Pink Jeep office and I asked for the roughest ride that would get back by 3pm. It was a great little tour with a nice driver (Harold) who knew the names of all the plants and animals. Most of the road is driveable by stock vehicles but then we got to a section that required climbing up and over a rock ledge and then over a rocky trail leading to the canyon rim. Others on the ride were bothered by no-seeums and gnats when we were outside the jeep.
After a night in Flagstaff we got an early start for the Grand Canyon and were let off at Bright Angel to explore on our own. Naturally, we could have stayed longer. It was great to watch birds flying BELOW us. Our next stop was the IMAX theater which most said was a good way to end our visit. The movie was about the history of the canyon and was very interesting. On our way out of the park there was a long line of buses and cars (Memorial Day weekend) and I wondered why people hadn't come earlier to avoid the long wait. My friend said she enjoyed the boat ride on a lake. It looked pretty dull to me in the brochure but she said the scenery was wonderful.
In Phoenix, eat at Sam's Cafe!!!