Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Argonaut hotel in SF (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/argonaut-hotel-in-sf-460834/)

cleosometimes Jul 19th, 2004 07:01 AM

Argonaut hotel in SF

I'm planning a trip to SF and was thinking about staying at the Argonaut Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf. It sounds good from the reviews, but if anyone has stayed there and has any thoughts that would be great.

Also - what's better - bridge view ...or, alcatraz view? any particular rooms we should ask for?

thanks so much!

jsh0323 Aug 6th, 2004 05:41 AM

The Argonaut is a great hotel and a much needed addition to Fisherman's Wharf! The rooms are very well appointed with a nautical theme and they have a free wine tasting every night for guests. I had a room on the front of the hotel and I could see both Alcatraz and the bridge -- I think it just depends on how far down on the front you are. I think you can request the view rooms (and pay a bit more) but it's beautiful to see it all lit up at night. Enjoy your stay

djkbooks Aug 6th, 2004 08:04 AM

The view rooms do have a significantly higher rate and must be requested when booking. There are only a few rooms with views, as the building is only four stories high and the views toward the water from many rooms are blocked by other buildings.

If you do not book a view room, I would recommend stipulating that you not be assigned an interior room. Views from the windows of those rooms are of an interior concrete courtyard and windows of other rooms.

April Aug 6th, 2004 10:42 AM

On the bridge view side of the building is a street on a hill. My husband wondered if the noise from cars accelerating up that hill would be bothersome. We didn't stay in a room on that side to find out.

We much preferred the rooms with the Alcatraz view to the bridge view. The windows are not large but the Alcatraz view room seemed brighter and we loved being able to look out and see the ships. We were on the top floor, room 446 I believe. They will probably tell you though that they will not guarantee a particular view, just that you'll get one. In either case, I would try to get the top floor.

deborahk Aug 8th, 2004 10:06 AM

We just got back from staying at the Argonaut for four nights. One of our rooms was facing the cable car turn around with a glimpse of the bridge. This was suppose to be a bay view room-it barely was. The other room was suppose to be a park view room and it faced a very busy street and near the cable car turnaround. This was VERY noisy-even on the 4th floor. As far as the hotel itself-it is very nice. It is right on the edge of the tourist shops of Fisherman's Wharf-not quite as removed as I had hoped.

djkbooks Aug 8th, 2004 11:46 AM

I thought the Park was beautiful. It's not a huge park, but on the waterfront and nicely landscaped. It's also nice to keep an eye on the cable car lines and head over when it's shorter.

deborahk Aug 8th, 2004 01:15 PM

I agree that the park is beautiful and this would be a nice view. What you want to avoid is a room that looks out on the back street of the hotel-even on the 4th floor-it was noisy. All of the interior rooms face a small concrete courtyard and your hotel neighbors across the way.