Reload this Page >

Area to stay to see Boston to Cape Cod in a week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 10:02 AM
shirley

We are going to Ma the week of July 4th, looking into staying at The 1831 Zachariah Eddy House in Middleboro,MA, is less than 35 miles to area I would like to visit. Does anyone know anything about the town or B&B.
Thanks

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 12:33 PM
KenCT

As you probably have surmised, Middleboro, originally Middleborough, was named because it is halfway between Boston and the Cape. As I recall there's not much around except cranberry bogs and suburban sprawl. It's probably going to take you over an hour to get to either Boston or mid-Cape.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:08 PM
julie

It really depends on where you want to go on the Cape. If you want to see Boston, why not stay in Boston for a couple of days and then drive dow to the Cape (depending on where you want to go, anywhere from 1.5-3 hours). Or, you could take a boat to Provincetown on the Cape and stay there overnight. Or, if you want to stay in between, stay somewhere on Route 3, south of Boston. HOwever, beware! The week of July 4th anywhere near Boston or the Cape is going to be a mad house! Plus, the driving will be worse than usual (I don't know if you've heard of Boston's roads, but if you know anything about them, all I have to say is the Big Dig!). Good luck!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 05:54 PM
David

Middleborough is a residential town with a good amount of business. There's really nothing to see or do there, it's pretty far off the beaten path. I don't know anything about the Zacharial Eddy House, but unless you had your heart set on staying at that particular B&B for some reason, I think you'd be much better off looking for a different area to stay in. You don't want to be doing a lot of driving during that week. This is a bad state to drive in, the 4th week is gauranteed to have you spending most of you time sitting in traffic!!

That said, I'd suggest staying right in Boston, where you can experience all the great things here, most of which can be walked on a good day. Boston is a small city (square mileage wise) with endless sites to see and places to go without a car. You'll thank me for this advice once you get here, promise!

You should plan on heading to the Cape at off hours such as early morning or later at night cuz traffic backs up getting on Cape pretty fierce. Once on the Cape, you can find some outstanding B&B's all over the Cape. My personal recommendation is to head to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard and stay there for a time you'll never forget. There you'll find some of the best B&B's in the world. Both islands are truly beautiful places to visit/stay. No Cape visit is complete without taking in the Vineyard or Nantucket. You can take the ferry from Boston or Hyannis, but my little secret is to fly over, it's only $50 round trip from Hyannis vs. about $25 on the ferry. You'll be there in 15 minutes and you'll avoid the hassles of the crowds on the ferry.

Hope all this helps! Enjoy your visit!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Leslie

It's going to be practically impossible to get decent accommodations on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket for the 4th of July unless you booked yesterday. And, the prices are exhorbitant during that time period anyway. And, forget about getting your car on the ferry without a reservation. You'd have to give up your first born anyway. The traffic is horrendous unless you drive during the wee hours of the morning.

However, as an alternative, you might consider staying in Boston, especially for the free Boston Pops concert at the Esplanade. There will be one on the 3rd and the 4th, the 3rd being the less crowded. There certainly will be plenty of fireworks in Boston on both nights.

Regarding hotels, you most likely can get bargain rates bidding on Priceline for four star hotels in Boston on the holiday weekend (in the $60 range). Look for hotels in the Copley Square area, because from there you can actually walk to the Esplanade. Bring a blanket, and a picnic lunch.

Honestly, spend the 4th of July weekend in Boston, and the rest of it on the Cape, but the Cape is still going to be crowded, as you're vacationing during the most popular week of the summer. Have you considered going to Cape Ann instead or to Ogunquit, Maine? Those areas will still be crowded, but less so with teenagers.