Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are your elderly relatives able to print out their own boarding passes?

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My inlaws are coming to visit tomorrow-flying Southwest. We told them to print their boarding passes 24 hours in advance. I bet my husband has spent several HOURS on the phone explaining the process to them and reassuring them that they can do it.

I wonder what new and different thing will come up when I'm their age that I will be afraid of!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Do they have a fax machine? Some airlines can fax BPs to you.

Otherwise, just check-in for them, and then they can just get the BP at the airport. Important thing is to check-in, especially for Southwest.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:19 PM

My Parents are the same...in their 70's and have travelled but they have always had those tickets in hand from an agency.

They are traveling from Tampa to B'ham over Mothers day week. I could get them round trip web only e- tickets for $402.00 with the senior discount. They were so nervous about flying that way, that they said "it's okay, we will just drive." It is an 1 1/2 hour flight and a 10+ hour drive. I worry about them driving that long and with the price of gas now they are saving very little (if any)driving.

I don't know what the airlines could do to make it easier...they are just afraid of all the security/packing rules etc. and flying without tickets.

I can sympathize.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:27 PM

I don't have any elderly relatives, but I have many younger friends that can't do this... The easiest option for someone who doesn't travel much is sometimes to check in at the airport......
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM

My mother is 85, and she uses the Internet to book tickets and print boarding passes.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Unless they're online checking in with Southwest 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds ahead of their flight time, they may as well just check in at the airport.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:44 PM

By the way, if they don't actually have a printer, they can check in (for Southwest) online and not print at home - just print it when you check your bags at the airport. That way, you still get your "A" position or whatnot in line.

My friend claims she checked in for her recent Southwest flight over the phone, something I didn't know you could do.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:47 PM

We are in our 70's and are a long way from being elderly.....Really!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:48 PM

djkbooks: Unless they're online checking in with Southwest 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds ahead of their flight time, they may as well just check in at the airport.

Not really. You still get a better spot by checking in early. Even if you check in 12 hours before instead of up to 24, that could mean the difference between the "B" and the "C" group. I checked in recently a few hours after the 24 hours and (maybe 2-3 hours later) and still got in the high A group.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Well, I guess people flying out of MHT are more savvy. If I forget or don't get online 24 hours ahead, I'm in group C.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Southwest now subdivides people in groups of 5. So, it definitely helps to check-in ASAP, even if you're not right at the 24-hour mark.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Actually this is something I have been raising an isssue about for some time.

I have said over and over again, at some point there will be a big lawsuit under ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) (airlines fall under seperate FAA disability guidelines) when a truly disabled person is told to use internet access for a variety of things.

Last week I was told by my health ins co to access the list of approved MDs by Internet.

Iam all infavor of saving costs but preventing access by using the Internet is out of line...
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
OO

djkbooks, we've just come back from Tampa, and both going and returning, forgot to check in the 24 hrs in advance. Going it was about 19 hrs in advance and got A 56 and 57. Returning we didn't check in until 7 hours before and were A57 and 58. We were staying on our boat while we were there and our harbor master was nice enough to get our boarding passes for us online when we did remember. Nolefan, have your parents go down to the Gulfport Marina and ask the harbormaster for instructions....we taught him how yesterday!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Not sure why asking someone to use the internet would be restricting access??

Just because they haven't figured out how to use it doesn't mean they CAN'T use it. The internet has some great advantages for disabled people...for ones who don't speak, who can't hear, who can't get out and go to a brick and mortar location,etc. There is voice recognition software for people who can't type, and nearly every library in America has free internet access.

Granted, many people- and both disabled and not at all disabled- haven't a clue what you do with a computer, but there are phone options in almost all cases. In the example regarding the list of doctors, if you had said "I am unable to use a computer", I'm sure the phone person would have read you the list.

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"We are in our 70's and are a long way from being elderly.....Really!"

Algalli, I remember watching the news with my dad (who was 61 at the time) and a report came on about "an elderly person" killed in a hit and run accident. The person killed was 60. Well, my dad stands up out of his chair, and in mock (I think) anger yells, "Elderly, who the hell are they calling elderly." Of course, my mom and I were just cracking up with laughter.

Now, as I approach 56, I remember his other sage words about getting older, "It beats the alternative!"

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:09 PM

No way. My mom hates anything techie. Sometimes she'll call me and say, "I called earlier, but I got that answering machine thingy so I hung up." She also doesn't know the difference between e-mails and faxes. Once when I was out, I called her and asked her to tape something for me on her VCR, and she told me Dad wasn't home, so she couldn't set it. We also got her a cell phone, but she's never used it. I've found that it helps to write things down step by step and give that to her, but she would rather just avoid the whole thing I think. I've begged her to get e-mail but no dice.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM

I finally talked my mom 75 year old through booking tickets on aa.com. I don't know why I just didn't do it for her, but she wanted to do it herself,or so she claimed. She did it in about 15 attempts, ...so frustrating.

But the worst one was when she called me asking me how to attach a document to an email. I was driving in horrible traffic. "Do you know where you save your Word docs?" "See that little symbol on the top that sort of looks like a paper clip?...."
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM

My MIL turns 80 next month . . she regularly prints her boarding passes when she travels.

On Continental it takes one click
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:31 PM

And, you certainly can check in to Southwest and the print boarding passes at the airport. My DH and DS have done this twice recently, I've checked them in and they got boarding passes at the airport, even though they were carrying on, no problem.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Missypie, your husband can check them in on-line without printing the passes, and when they go to the airport, they will get help there to print them.

My father is 81. No, he can't print a boarding pass. One of the reasons: HE DOES NOT OWN A COMPUTER!!

When I tell him to buy one, he asks: and what will I do with it? One more thing to dust?

Maybe he's right, who knows. At least he has a VCR (the VHS type)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -