Reload this Page >

Are you ready to watch CBS' "9/11" ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Maura

It's planned, I believe, for this Sunday evening.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:18 AM
ginny

How exactly does you question relate to a travel oriented board? Go away!!!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:19 AM
duh

Why don't you post this under CBS board? This does not belong here.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:22 AM
ur

Maura, go away with this heartless question. Didn't your Mom teach you any manners?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Waitaminute

Hold on everyone. This forum was impacted powerfully after the events of 9/11, if you recall. There were many postings, heartfelt almost all, about Forum friends here and around the world, concern for everyone's well-being, and much discussion about how we would not let terrorism affect us in travel and in other ways. To answer your question, Maura, I just don't know. I still feel horror when I see the newsfilm of the planes hitting the buildings, and the tragedy had far-reaching affects.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:43 AM
xxx

Who in their right mind would be ready??!! What a dumb question!!!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Cindy

I'm probably not ready to watch it - and I'll probably watch it anyway. I was glued to the TV in the days immediately following Sept. 11, despite the horror that I felt when I watched the footage. My daughter lives in NYC and I don't think I've ever felt so frightened in my whole life. I do remember that this forum was a source of information, comfort, and diversion during that time, so I think that the question is quite appropriately posted on this board.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Maura

Perhaps I should have titled my question differently. "Ready" is not the correct word apparently. I should have asked if one is able to watch it all unfold again.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:49 AM
MYTHOUGHTS

With talk around here about Boycotts, I would boycott CBS for using this for ratings & money-the families are against it, the films have been seen over and over again every day after the attacks and now they are putting it together to show us more! Like we need to see the bodies falling this time? The children of the parents that were killed need to have this on television? If it were for "history" it would be on PBS and in about 6 months , it is too soon, and there is no good reason for it but greed.
How about this-they take the money and donate it to the children? Did you know ---a couple have two children small children-she has breast cancer and he works in the World Trade Center.They were planning on how Daddy would take care of the children when Mama died, and he got killed on Sept 11th-then about a month ago,the mother died.The children are being taken care of by family-Those are stories that should be told, not the same videos over and over of those planes hitting those buildings.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:52 AM
yes

I agree this is a dumb question.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Kevin

If anybody had any illusions about the travel wannabees and the ones who travel, check out this thread. Why not be completely tactless, ask the survivors and the victims' families if they're ready.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:06 AM
x

There was an article on the CNN website yesterday called "Reporters View CBS '9-11' Documentary", if any of you are interested about what's actually in the show.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Carrie

I am sick of the American media period. They misinform, don't report facts but editorialize, then they take tragedies and try to profit. I think it is sick. No I won't be watching. I think if I did I will have sunk to an alltime low. Just my two cents...

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Doc History

It's interesting to note that some people think that it's morbib to watch the show 9/11, or that is mnerely some ploy for CBS to make tons of dough. Yet many of us watch the History Channel, which shows us various angles on all the wars the world has undertaken. Many of us spend lots of dough to go see the Hollywood-ized treatment of Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers, which, of course, are based on true stories and which show the violence in (what I would argue to be) over-the-top and unnecessary fashion. [It's interesting to note that despite what one person has stated in this post there are NO shots of people falling out of the buildings during "9/11" per the New York Times. There are no scenes of people dying.] As to CBSs' motives -- well, I don't REALLY know what they are. I can guess. I do know that out of 2 hours of the show there are only 7 1/2 minutes given over to the sponsor and from what I hear that 7 1/2 minutes won't be commercials but public service comments. [Sure, sure, the logo will be displayed so we'll know who's behind it. But you know what, someone has to pay to record history.] And this is history. Yes, it's painful. But it's history. We have to face it. And if you don't want to -- don't turn it on.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Ellen

If CBS were doing this for the money, they wouldn't have waited until a week after sweeps season ended, nor would they limit themselves to two breaks totalling less than 8 minutes. The footage will include work done by a professional documentary team that happened to be filming NYC firefighters in the area at the time of the first impact. Please don't be so cynical and jumping to conclusions without learning a bit about what you're ciritcizing.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:45 AM
CF

The article on this program that was in our paper stated that there would be no pictures of bodies, falling or otherwise and that it was being done in good taste, documenting the work of the fire department.

I agree, if CBS were doing this for money, they would have done it a long time ago.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Ginny

Actually I posted on 9/11, my friend made it out of the WTC. I mention this because I was posting about this in a panic on that day. I can appreciate what others are saying about it being too soon and how devistating for the kids. My friend however needs to see this stuff it helps her come to terms with the loss of 700 coworkers. I just took her to ground zero for the first time at her request, last weekend. I think it helped her to move on. I think it was too overwhelming at the time and she was not able to process what was happening.

I guess I wish we all knew a bit more about grief and recovery to know what is the answer here.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Ginny

Pss not the same ginny as posted earlier

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:09 AM
ny

OK---the work was done by the two french filmakers who were interviewing the firemen.they are the same two filmmakers whose films were shown every day and night afterwards..they have just put it together for cbs to show it now-
cbs makes money on ratings and sponsors..is this going to be shown without commercials? nooooooo they will make money.
there will be a fireman with a bloody face and they will show much more footage that was not shown before "out of respect", which only lasts for 6 months..time to make some money off of this thing!
just like there were plenty of people lining up to watch them dig out the bodies,which by the way,is still going on...there will be plenty of people watching this all over again.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:10 AM
my thoughts

"Please don't be so cynical and jumping to conclusions without learning a bit about what you're ciritcizing."

and Ellen, what makes you an expert,because you can read a magazine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -