Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Are you ready for some football? How far would you travel for a big game? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/are-you-ready-for-some-football-how-far-would-you-travel-for-a-big-game-637552/)

snowrooster Aug 8th, 2006 07:03 AM

Are you ready for some football? How far would you travel for a big game?

I should tell you all who don't know me well that I am the biggest football chick ever and I couldn't be more excited to cheer my Cincinnati Bengals on to victory at the SuperBowl this year.

That said, dh knows that I have a set rule that when the Bengals do again make to the SuperBowl, regardless of the cost or location I will buy us tickets & we will go. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it!! How about you? Who is your team and how far would you (or have you) traveled to cheer for them?

WHODEY!!!!!!

Peter_krynicki Aug 8th, 2006 07:13 AM

I always root for the Jets. This means that by the 3rd Sunday of the season they are out of the playoffs and I can stop wasting beautiful fall days.

I would go approx this far for the big game...

Me<------>Big G

Pjk

milemarker0 Aug 8th, 2006 07:19 AM

You're going to have to get your Bengals out of jail first....:)

GoTravel Aug 8th, 2006 07:26 AM

I'm all about college ball!

KathyK Aug 8th, 2006 07:26 AM

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, and a season ticket holder since 1980. I travelled to all 4 Super Bowls in the early 1990's which were in Tampa, Minneapolis, Pasadena and Atlanta. Sadly, there were no victories. I'll go again if they make it to the Super Bowl, but they don't look to be too close. But who knows, every year there is a surprise team that makes a run at it. Maybe this year it will be us.

Tess Aug 8th, 2006 07:28 AM

I am READY for football!! Nebraska Husker fans are crazy--we'll go anywhere in a huge pack to watch our team play. Am sure it stems from the fact that we don't have a professional team in the state so everyone is insane for the Huskers. Last year our family followed the team to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl--the people in SA said they'd never seen anything like it--the stadium was 80% red.

This year we have tickets to the USC-NE game and are hoping for a really great bowl game location, cuz we'll be there :-)

And of course...we have season tickets to the Husker home games...400 miles across the state.

snowrooster Aug 8th, 2006 07:38 AM

I went to Miami Univ in Ohio and spent the years after I graduated going to games w/dh & cheering on our greatest QB ever, Ben Roethelesberger. Now I curse his name after going to the Bengals playoff game last year when his dreaded Steelers (boo! hiss!) took out our QB and stole our SuperBowl!!!

brandie346 Aug 8th, 2006 07:49 AM

I'm a Saints fan, and there may be a trip down there in the future...

Now if you're talking REAL football... well, I've been all over the country to see the US Women's National Team... farthest was Portland, OR. Boy was that a crappy weekend... :)

SAnParis Aug 8th, 2006 08:14 AM

Should my beloved Browns ever make it to a Super Bowl, travel & cost would be no object. Actually it would, I don't need to be there, in person, I'd rather go to Europe.

SAnParis Aug 8th, 2006 08:15 AM

Your Bungles would likely have to beat my adopted team the Panthers, although I have serious reservations about them even winning their division...

JJ5 Aug 8th, 2006 08:21 AM

Any opportunity I can get, I will go to a Bears game. My youngest son and his friend share a season's ticket package. Despite weather and money (YIPES $$$- they just made it $100 a game to PARK for season ticket holders' lots. That's $100 a game, not a season.)costs, I'll get there at least once to a day game with a tailgate before.

We park near McCormick Place, tailgate there, and walk. My SIL is so excited about Friday night's pregame that he told me about it twice already.

We always have a Superbowl Party, as well.

We used to do the Orange (U.of I.) trip, but no longer do it. I always yell for U.of I., Northern IL and Southern IL (my children's schools), if given the chance. One year they played each other and I got to switch sides at half time.

We LOVE Football- American style.

Farthest I have traveled would be to Detroit from Chicago for a Bears game.

I would travel anywhere for a Superbowl if given tickets.

AuntAnnie Aug 8th, 2006 08:24 AM

I live in Mn.....would YOU cheer for the Vikings??!! They are overpaid, immoral super-egos.
College ball all the way. Go Gophers!!

Barbara Aug 8th, 2006 08:26 AM

I was a Charger fan. My son and I flew to Dallas a few years ago so that he could see Dallas play and we both could see the Chargers..who won. Great fun.

But now, after the crappy way the Chargers treated Drew Brees, we're Saints fans. No more Charger season tickets, but I don't know if we'll get to New Orleans for a game this year. And of course, there's the added attraction of Reggie Bush (from San Diego)! I still wouldn't want the Chargers to lose, but they'll get no more money from me.

Curt Aug 8th, 2006 08:27 AM

I would not even go as far as Peter...waste of time and money to me, but more power to those that like it.

snowrooster Aug 8th, 2006 08:35 AM

SanParis - I'm going to the Panthers v Bengals game here on 10/22. I think the Panthers are supposed to be good this year - at least a lot of sports writers seem to think so, but what do they know!!

I was a Saints fan first & Bengals fan second (despite living in Cincinnati for 20+ years) until a few years ago. The Saints played the Bengals here in Cincinnati & just need to win one of their last 3 games to make the playoffs. I went to the game if full Saints gear head to toe (including the gold & black hair ties on my braids) & expected them to win (this is when the Bengals had been the worst team in NFL for years). The Saints not only SUCKED (sorry) and lost that game, but lost the next two and missed the playoffs. At that time, I switched my allegiance and put the Bengals first & Saints second. I still root for the Saints, but I am Bengal to the core now (and I made this change pre-Marvin Lewis so it's not a bandwagon move!!).

College-wise I root for the Tenn Vols. I love talking football w/the locals when we go to dh's familiy's lake house in TN - those folks bleed orange!!!

SAnParis Aug 8th, 2006 08:44 AM

The Browns are in town here two weeks prior but that is of course our annual beach trip so I will miss them. I'll likely make it up to the lake (or Cincy) to see them at least once though. I have better connections in Cincy for Tix. Maybe I'll see you there.

snowrooster Aug 8th, 2006 08:52 AM

Tickets in Cincinnati are hard to come by - the season is sold out - no single game tickets being offered to the public. I got mine on ebay!!

My condolences to any Detroit Lions fans - it will be a rough year w/Kitna at the helm. Whenever a QB makes a big mistake, dh & I refer to it as a Kitna!

GoTravel Aug 8th, 2006 09:00 AM

JJ5 don't fret. Parking spots for South Carolina fans start at around $250,000. Yep, you spend a quarter a mil to park for six or seven home games a year.

PamT Aug 8th, 2006 09:08 AM

Huge Packers fan here!! GO PACK! :) :)
DH gets tickets at work each year and we go to 1 game. At almost $100 per ticket per game plus having to pay for a motel for two nights (hotels insist on two nights) it gets REALLY expensive. Although last year we went on Christmas Day and just stayed one night.
But to sit in Lambeau Field and watch a game is what makes football fun for me. Well ok the tailgating is fun too:) Pam

SAnParis Aug 8th, 2006 09:15 AM

So, both those Gamecocks' fans really have to ante up, huh ???!!! LOL.