Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are we crazy to plan a romantic getaway based out of the North Shore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:14 PM
OCLocal

We are planning a romantic vacation by housesitting a friend's apt on the North Shore. This is our dream vacation we could never take if not for the free digs. Everyone keeps turning their noses up, saying how other islands are the place to be, and that the North Shore and its island lacks romance, ambience. We are Hawaii neophytes. We like hiking, snorkeling, watching surf contests, eating sushi, learning about nature, animals, sailing, and scenic drives. Casual BUDGET travelers (no fancy hotels,/restaurants). Don't like discos/bars. Might also plan 1-3 day island hop to another locale (tour or hotel). Suggestions?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Houdini

Where are you talking about?!!? North Shore is pretty generic!

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:39 PM
mms

The "north shore" generally means the Northern end of Oahu. We are visiting there in June. The area sounds beautiful and much, much less crowded than Honolulu, yet you will be close enough to visit all the Oahu sites. Personnally, the north shore and free accomodations sounds like a wonderful combination - Have a great time!

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 04:22 PM
xxx

Free lodging and the most beautiful sunsets on the North Shore - sounds pretty romantic to me. And isn't the person you're with what's romantic - not necessarily the location? Have a great time!

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:04 PM
J

I love the North Shore. Whenever I visit Hawaii, I try to make at least one trip up there. It has a really great feel to it and lots of ambiance, although I myself wouldn't necessarily call it romantic. The beaches are some of the best on Oahu, the town of Haleiwa is really laid-back and funky, and you might be able to see some great waves and surfing depending on what time of year you go. You can satisfy most of your likes - hiking, snorkeling, eating sushi, surf contests (in the winter), nature, animals, and scenic drives. You may have to drive out of the North Shore to get some of those (i.e. sushi), but it's only 45 minutes to 1 hr to Honolulu during the off hours. Romance is subjective. Some people might think the North Shore is really romantic with its relatively uncrowded beaches (except on weekends). I think Waimea Beach on the North Shore is a really beautiful and romantic beach. Also, of course, whether your stay is romantic depends on you and your companion. Generally speaking, however, I don't think the North Shore is typically romantic. You could get that with a visit to another island though, perhaps Kauai or Mauai, and stay in a really romantic hotel/resort. My dream vacation, though, is to be able to hang out on the North Shore for days on end. My advice is -- take the free place, have a great time there, and then take a short "romantic" trip to another island.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:08 PM
J

Oops, I meant Maui.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:17 PM
OCLocal

Dear J and others,

Thank you so much for the encouraging advice! I knew in my heart that we could have a great time, but all I heard was this chorus of so-called Hawaii "expert" acquaintances begging to differ. Yet some websites about Oahu listed some cool beaches and sightseeing ideas. I guess I just needed reassurance from real folks like you all.

Couldn't agree more with everyone's main message: its the companion who makes the trip romantic, not the specific locale.

Now I am VERY much looking forward to a romantic 3 weeks of sunsets, snorkeling and more...

If anyone out there has specific itinerary suggestions, that'd be great. Favorite beaches? But I think my main objective for this posting feels satisfied - I've heard different opinions than those around me that confirm my hope that this will be a great trip. Thank you so much.

OC Local

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 09:07 PM
J

Favorite beaches on Oahu - Waimea Bay and Sunset Beach on the North Shore (try to go to Waimea on the weekdays -- it gets really crowded on weekends), Hanauma Bay (really crowded all the time, but beautiful and good snorkeling), and Diamond Head (on Diamond Head Road). The walk down to Diamond Head Beach is spectacular, but the beach itself isn't as wonderful as others. Lots of locals go there to surf or windsurf when the waves and/or wind are up. Also, the beaches around Mokuleia aren't as crowded as other beaches on the North Shore, although I prefer the Sunset/Waimea area. You may have a different opinion. There are beaches all around the island -- I don't know the names of all of them -- which are pretty. You could just get in a car and drive around the perimeter of the island (although you should probably skip the west (leeward) side of the island for this drive since you can't go up the leeward side and on to the North Shore without backtracking). It takes about 2-3 hours (I used to do this when I lived on the island and got island fever). You'll see the island in one fell swoop and get a sense of its different areas (city, country, rich areas, poor areas, mountains, ocean, shopping malls, Waikiki, etc.) and find beaches along the way. Try to avoid rush hour if you decide to do this. Perhaps do it on a Sunday.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Lynn

Definitely go to Hanauma Bay on Oahu's southeastern shore for snorkeling. This is yet another place that some people will turn up their noses at, because it gets crowded. I agree that it gets crowded, but if you get up EARLY and get yourselves down there, it's well worth it. The reason it's so popular is that the number and variety of fish there are incredible. I first learned to snorkel there, and I think part of what helped me overcome any fears I may have had was that I was just dying to see all of those beautiful creatures! If you like snorkeling, you'll love the place, I guarantee it. Also, we stayed on the north shore while we were on Oahu; the place is really beautiful and we much preferred it over the "city life" scene of Honolulu. Enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Bill

Don't worry, OCLocal: Let the naysayers turn their noses up, because the island is absolutely GORGEOUS -- guaranteed!! Please post a trip report upon your return!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Lolly

Oh my goodness I would stay anywhere on Oahu if it was free! There is so much to do on Oahu and it's all within driving about 1 hour! 3 weeks I am jelous! Be sure to go to the International Market(very touristy) see Don Ho and visit Kailua beach, oh it's the best! Sit by the big tree. Just the warm air the smell of flowers.....mmmmmmm now thats romantic.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 01:52 AM
Linda

OCLocal: We've also planned our 1st trip to Hawaii for north shore Oahu, this Aug. We picked it for a better chance of affordable airfare(Honolulu), the beauty, and the lack of "city crowds"; also Oahu looks to have lots and lots to do and see w/out driving for hours. Please, please, please post a trip report when you get back.....