Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are we Crazy Cape May Lewes Ferry & Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

Old Oct 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of going CT to Savannah via Garden State Parkway to Cape May then Ferry to Lewes Delaware enroute to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Virginia Beach and then perhaps the Outer Banks to Savannah. IWe would do the drive in 3 days with 2 overnites. Is this realistic? Will we have to actually see anything? Looking for suggestions on where to take our 2 overnites and charming B&B's in those locations. I know nothing about any of these areas. We've done 95 and we've done the western route, but never the Eastern Shore. Also great restaurants lunch and dinner.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM

It has been several years since we drove down the 'Shore, but it was a boring ride. We did go to Chincoteague and that was a lot of fun. We went over the Thanksgiving week and things were getting ready to close for the winter. When are you going? It's a neat little place and the Natl. park is a neat ride. We found plenty to do in two days.

Take a look at driving to Annapolis and to Virginia via 301 or 95 as well. Also some of the 'Shore towns, Easton and Chestertown have lots of charm.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Going the last week of October. I thought the ferry and bridge/tunnel sounded like a good adventure. Was it all boring?
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM

We've taken that route and stayed just outside the NP in Chincoteague. Got up early in the morning and did a loop through the park, saw ponies, deer, lots of birds, a nice place to stop, but not elegant B&B. The ride south to Savannah from there will be very slow if you stick to the coast but you could do the outer banks for a while or take 17 to Wilmington and Myrtle beach or Charleston, more likely to find the charming B&B in Charleston. I would guess you'll head to i 95 for a while but at least you will be south of DC if you do take that route. Another possible route would be to take i 84 to i 81 and then south of Roanoke pick up i 77 south to i 26 in Columbia, SC. 26 goes right to Savannah. This will be a few more miles, but no hassle with the gridlock from CT to DC and you might find some nice leaf peeping in the south. You also could jump off 81 for a while and go down the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway, slower, but very pretty.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:59 AM

No offense, TDudette, but it is a BEAUTIFUL trip between Lewes and the bridge-tunnel, which is, in itself, very interesting. Lovely rural scenery, with water not far down side roads to your left.

I have driven US 17 from Washington, NC, to Savannah, via New Bern, Wilmington, Pawley's Island, Georgetown, Charleston, and Beaufort. The only part I disliked was Myrtle Beach, but you most bypass it. I haven't linked it up with the Outer Banks, but there is a NC state ferry from the Outer Banks to Swan Quarter, east of Washington, NC, which would allow you to do so.

You could spend two weeks just making the trip if you stopped at all the interesting places along the way -- ports, beaches, plantations galore, antiques, food.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM

Highly recommend that route! Though, you haven't mentioned when you're going.

Depending on where you're starting from in Connecticut, you should be able to get to Cape May before sunset. The ride on the Lewes Ferry is terrific when the weather is nice. Reservations aren't usually required, and you can phone ahead from your car to check on room for your anticipated departure time.

Our favorite place to stay in Cape May is the Carroll Villa Hotel. The bountiful breakfasts at the Mad Batter (within) on the porch (with a glimpse of the ocean) are the best anywhere! Maryland crab cakes for breakfast (authentic and outstanding)!

We've also really enjoyed the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel in Rehoboth, along with the lovely Victoria restaurant within.

If you enjoy French cuisine, the Buttery in Lewes is amazing.

In Savannah, our favorite place to stay is the Staybridge Inn, which is relatively new, well located, with full kitchen in the rooms. If you're a fan of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", "The Book" tour is fantastic.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

That is more encouraging. Ackislander it was your suggestion on an earlier thread that got me onto this route. We are planning on going the last week in October. I'll check out the NC ferry today. But maybe it makes more sense this trip to do Cape May/Ferry/Lewes/Ride along the coast/Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and then cut away from the coast for a fast ride the rest of the way to Savannah. Our thoughts were to allow 3 days and 2 nights to reach Savannah. Is this realistic?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM

No offense taken! It has been a few years but we just kept saying, "Are we there yet?" Are we talking about Rte 13???

Agree about avoiding Myrtle Beach if poss.

Please report back and let us know how it was.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

So far we've decided to explore Cape May and have lunch there, take the ferry and spend the first night in Lewes. Then we will do the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel which intrigues us(for better or worse) and I will give a report on our return. Then someone has suggested the next night in Edenton, Washington or Bath. Any thoughts on that? Still have not made a decision on how to drive from there to Savannah.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Haha! Rte 13 is kind of boring, I agree. Still, a more leisurely route than 95 for sure, and pleasant enough scenery.

Not too far north of the Bridge Tunnel is the little town of Eastville. Couple stoplights, on is at Willow Oak Road. Turn right there, go maybe 50 yds, and on your right in someone's front yard is an absolutely gigantic oak tree. Must be hundreds of years old. Well worth a few minutes off 13 to take a look, snap a couple pictures. Amazing tree.

http://www.fw.vt.edu/4h/bigtree/bigt...PrimaryKey=604

The historic courthouse just down the road and to the right has the oldest continuous court records in the country-dating back to 1631. Might want to make a brief stop there as well.