Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are there restrooms in Yellowstone NP/Gran Teton

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this seem a silly question, but we are spending 3 nights near YNP and 2 nights near GT and will be doing hiking/sightseeing activity in both parks. I have read tons of forum and gotten great advice. I haven't seen anything on restroom facilities in both parks. Are there any, just visitor centers, or on trails too? not talking about pit toilets/portal potties, but real bathrooms. Much appreciated!!!
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 07:59 AM

My wife, niece, and meself sepnt a few days around each and we never run into bathroom issues. I cannot say specifically that there are certain types or are in all locations, but there were enough. I'd say there were more in Yellowstone than Grand Teton.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 07:59 AM

Oooops, sorry for the typos.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 08:24 AM

In Yellowstone,they are in all the high traffic visitor locations and in many low visitor locations like picnic areas or parking lots for viewing areas.

We've been many times and never had a problem finding a restroom. Yes, some are pit toilets but they put something in them so they don't smell. They are not portapotties--they are in small buildings.

I was surprised I couldn't find a map with restrooms on it. I did find a map of picnic areas and a it shows which ones have restrooms. Most do.
http://www.yellowstone.co/picnic.htm

In Tetons, if you are on the main highway through the area (not the park road), there aren't many places at all, much less restrooms. IMO, you do get the best views of the Tetons from there and it doesn't cost a thing!

If you are on the national park road, there are the usual lodges, visitor centers, campgrounds, parking lots with restrooms, etc all along the way.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 09:10 AM

You won't find restrooms on any trails, not in any national park. Some times there are pit toilets near backcountry campsites, but actual restrooms...no.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 09:16 AM
J62

2nd tree to the left...
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:48 AM

> on trails too?
> but real bathrooms

I've hiked in scores of national parks, and have never found one single flush toilet on any trail. Indeed, whenever I leave the paved roads in national parks, I consider pit toilets a bit of a luxury.

You'll find flush toilets in almost all visitor centers and MANY picnic grounds. At major trail heads, you MIGHT find a well-designed non-flush toilet hut -- but don't count on it.

Most of the time when I'm in a NP, I just walk on a trail until I'm pretty sure nobody on the road can see me.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 12:11 PM

Yellowstone will have more bathrooms than most national parks because it has so many different concession areas....campgrounds, stores, gas stations, restaurants and lodges. So there is no shortage of real bathrooms in the developed areas of the park.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:46 AM

Most people see Yellowstone by driving along the "figure 8" Park roadway, stopping at various marked points to take short walks or hikes. If that is your style, there are plenty of bathrooms (I have the smallest bladder in the world and was never uncomfortable). Along these roadways there are several Visitors Centers with real bathrooms. At some of the marked stopping areas there are real bathrooms. Grand Teton roadways are much shorter, and there are a few marked sites that have small buildings with real toilets.

We spent 10 days driving and stopping thru both Parks - never had bathroom shortage problems.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I know it seems silly, but want to have an idea of what to expect when we go for hikes, etc. This is very very helpful!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:21 AM

My DH and I were in GT and Yellowstone this past September. At some of the marked points, such as thermal features, there are pit toilets, and at a couple we found actual real bathrooms, but of the camping/metal variety, not an actual lovely bathroom as in some of the Visitors' Centers. Like Gail, we never had a problem finding a bathroom. It's kind of like, when you see a bathroom, use it whether you have to go or not. ;-)

However -- I don't know if it will still be the case when you are there, but because of the sequester, many of those restrooms were NOT cleaned on a regular basis. The park service did not have enough personnel to do that. I would strongly suggest to bring your own hand sanitizer and maybe a pack of paper hand towels for when you have to use one of those pit toilets.

I would also suggest bringing a roll of toilet paper and some paper bags for when you have to answer the Call of Nature ... in Nature.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:32 AM
J62

You bring up a good point hikrchick. In some places the responsible thing to do is to not leave any trace of solid waste, human or paper, carry everything out with you. To that end plastic bags seem to work better than paper. I don't know the wilderness protocol in Yellowstone... Lots of bears there, so perhaps ask them...
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Expect to find Vault, Pit, and Flush Toilets in Yellowstone.

Here is a list of 52 picnic site with restrooms. It doesn't say what type of facility it is.
http://www.yellowstone.co/picnic.htm

FWIW, We usually picnic our noon meal. Much easier and is great in our national parks.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Don't try to "hold it" When you see one, go ahead and "empty" 'cause you never know when the next one will be!!

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Some great advices here and will heed. Don't think I'll ask the bears. Lol ... Thanks everyone!