Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are there hotels in Washington DC that are in a location like The Rennaissance Time Square in NYC?

Search

Are there hotels in Washington DC that are in a location like The Rennaissance Time Square in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We loved the location of the Rennaissance, Time Square in NYC. It was in the middle of Manhattan and worked well for us. Are there any hotels that would be in the middle of the sights in DC?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:46 AM

There are so many hotels in DC that are convenient to everything. Attractions are spread all over so you need to narrow it down a bit?
Price range?
What will you be visiting?
Any specific property amenities you are looking for?
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 03:34 PM

I've read this post four times and I still don't get it. You loved Times Square and you're looking for a hotel in DC that is an area that is LIKE Times Square? It doesn't exist. If you are simply looking for a hotel that is convenient to sites, I don't get the mention of Times Square.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Gwen86

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt last summer and thought it was a great location.

I think Patrick is being grouchy.

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:20 PM

Renaissance Mayflower
The Willard Hotel (Intercontinental).
The JW Marriott
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Hay-Adams, St. Regis, Hilton-Capitol
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:16 PM
LN

I'm in and out of Washington daily and hopefully I understand what you're asking.

If I were picking a hotel for its convenience (as a Times Sq hotel is to NYC) then I would probably pick one of three areas.

1st - convenience to the national mall
JWMarriott hotel - downtown across from the Old Post Office and next to the National Theatre. You're right next to Pennsylvania Ave and to the left there's the Capitol and to the right there's the White House and the Washington Monument.

2nd The Hyatt on Capitol Hill - again walking distance to everything around the hill - Capitol, Supreme Court, Union station, Natl gallery of Art.

Third - the Sheraton at Dupont Circle - convenient to metro - good restaurants -lot of activity

Whatever you choose - have a great visit..
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM

These would be the top three based on what you've given us so far (all are listed here on Fodors - under destinations) in order:
The Willard
J.W. Marriott
Hotel Washington

(WADR, the Mayflower is a few blocks north of Farragut Sq - not exactly in the center of the main tourist sights!!)
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Mayflower is like the NYC hotel: in the middle of the city, close to attractions, and is a Renaissance.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:34 PM

There is no Times Square theater district so nothing like that, exactly. I think the Mayflower is very central also, and a nice hotel. NOTHING is within walking distance of all sights. I don't think the Hyatt near Capitol Hill is very central, although it is close mainly to the Capitol building and Union station, but I wouldn't think that would form the center of interest for anyone. They don't call it Metro Central for nothing, and I think the Marriott near there and whatever other hotels are around there are pretty central.

I think the term middle of the sights is the problem versus middle of the city. I don't think most people can afford the Willard, anyway, not to mention the Hays Adams.

The new Sofitel is pretty central, also, and no one has mentioned that, at Lafayette Square. I also think the hotels around the McPherson Sq metro are very central (there's a Crowne Plaza and Hilton Garden Inn, I think).

I live in Washington, and have to admit I've never heard of a Sheraton at Dupont Circle, so it must be pretty low profile if it exists. The only Sheraton I know of downtown is the Four Points at K and 12th, but that isn't near Dupont Circle. That's fairly central and okay, but I would rather stay at the Mayflower, that's for sure.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Hi,

The hotels most similar to the Renaissance and closest to the monuments and Smithsonian museums would be the JW Marriott or the Willard. You would not be disappointed at either of these places if you can get a good rate at either of them. The National Theater is next door to them. Fords Theater is several blocks away. Kennedy Center Theaters are across the river (taxi or Metro w/walk at other end). The area around the hotels is not very lively at night unless there is a festival of some sort.

The best thing about being near the monuments and Smithsonian is being able to return to your hotel when you want to. Very convenient when your feet feel as if they are about to drop off from walking.

In the evening you will probably want to go to dinner in Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Near the MCI center or other restaurants scattered around downtown. Take taxis (Georgetown) or Metro to these. Taxis are on the zone system in DC ask your doorman about the correct fare to where you are going.

If you want to do the reverse and stay by the active night life, I'd stay at the Ritz Carlton in Georgetown if you can get a good rate.

The Mayflower is sort of between the Museums and Dupont Circle in the business district. I've been there recently and it has been improved.

I wouldn't recommend the Hilton Capitol. Think Capitol Hill hotels are out of the loop too. Think the Sheraton is in the Embassy District, not far to Dupont Circle restaurants if you want some night life again. Wouldn't recommend the Hotel Washington if you like the Renaissance, rundown in comparison. Also wouldn't recommend Hilton Garden Inn. Don't know about the Crowne Plaza.

My favorite spot in Washington in good weather is Georgetown riverfront restaurants, if you are interested in nightlife. Have fun! Wish there was a simple answer.

Kaklena
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Christina, totally forgot about the Sofitel. A VERY nice place and very close to the White House. I don't notice many Americans there, however. Perhaps they are geared toward the business traveller?
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Not many Americans? Business traveler?
A huge percentage of the business travelers in DC ARE American, you know.
Sofitel name recognition is probably more accurate.
Sofitel properties are more common outside of the US, many US tourists do not know the brand. That's probably why there are more foreign visiters at that property.