Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Are there any healthy alternatives in N.O. for dining? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/are-there-any-healthy-alternatives-in-n-o-for-dining-1009808/)

samschack Mar 28th, 2014 06:57 AM

Are there any healthy alternatives in N.O. for dining?

We will be in New Orleans in a couple weeks for a 4 day conference my wife is attending and while we do plan to indulge ourselves with a couple dinners and lunches at some of the traditional places we would also like to find a few healthier options so that we can mitigate the damage somewhat. My wife eats mostly vegetarian although does eat some seafood, mostly shell fish but no meat, no pork, etc.
We are staying in the French Quarter but don't mind getting outside the immediate area for something worthwihile.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tomfuller Mar 28th, 2014 10:27 AM

How about a shrimp Po'Boy? I don't remember the name of the shop I had one but it was on Canal St.

samschack Mar 28th, 2014 11:19 AM

Shrimp Po'Boy sounds good although most I've come across are fried. Does this place fix them differently?

logandog Mar 28th, 2014 11:49 AM

A quick look at Galatoire's menu reveals a number of healthy choices including salads and broiled seafood options.

emd3 Mar 28th, 2014 11:58 AM

Most seafood restaurants have healthy broiled dishes also. Even Deanie's has a fresh catch of the day that you can have broiled or blackened and grilled. And boiled crawfish, raw oysters, salads with fresh crab on them, etc.

BigRuss Mar 28th, 2014 01:18 PM

<How about a shrimp Po'Boy?>

Seriously? Po'Boys' seafood contents are FRIED.

Ugh.

Look: you can easily avoid fried food at any decent resto in New Orleans. And I mean full-on resto - not a beignet hut . . .

Dayenu Mar 28th, 2014 02:07 PM

We were with a group, one dinner on our own - we went to Domenica just off Canal Street. The food was good, vegetarian options too, only the noise level was high - but if only two people, it wouldn't matter.

samschack Mar 28th, 2014 05:19 PM

Domenica sounds good. Anyone ever heard of an African restaurant called Bennachin? It gets good reviews but not what we would think of as traditional N.O. fare.

Rich Mar 28th, 2014 06:34 PM

The Gumbo Shop . . gumbo and red beans & rice! mmmmmmm

november_moon Mar 28th, 2014 08:52 PM

I had a really good shrimp remolaude salad on an avocado at Napolean House.

Shanghainese Apr 2nd, 2014 07:28 PM

I went to NOLA 2 weeks ago with the same view as yours, well, did it change! We ate dinner at Kingfish at 133 Chartres, I had cedar plank gulf fish finished with bread pudding, lovely food and place, they had a vegetarian dish too. Lunch at Commander's Palace has Eat Healthy NOLA dishes altho I had the turtle soup and Creole Cuban pork sandwich. Dinner has a mushroom pasta and other dishes, dress code for men are jacket and tie. Stanley at 547 St. Ann next to Jackson Square serves breakie plus salad/soup all day, French Market Café is another option where I had shrimp and crayfish etouffee. Oh, if you go to the outstanding WWII Museum, the John Besh restaurant have potato chips (and other foods) to die for.

samschack Apr 3rd, 2014 09:21 AM

Kingfish sounds great ! I checked the website and it looks like there are quite a few good alternatives for us.
I'll check out the other suggestions too---
Thanks for the tips !!!

travelottie Apr 3rd, 2014 04:31 PM

Recently back from NO. Green Goddess was recommended by our tour guide: http://www.greengoddessrestaurant.com/

eroz Apr 14th, 2014 08:07 AM

I laugh whenever I see this post. NO! No healthy food allowed in NOLA! Seriously, there has to be some healthy food to balance out the decadent or everyone would weigh 500lbs or be dead. Even PoBoy restaurants have debris (roast beef) non fried sandwiches though it is a lot of bread. Any decent restaurant will have some salad options and plenty of protein with meat and fish options. Enjoy but try to have some awesome crawfish etouffee! I like the one at BonTon Cafe.