Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Are the tours with guides really necessary in Charleston? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/are-the-tours-with-guides-really-necessary-in-charleston-322367/)

KandKmom May 30th, 2003 02:32 PM

Are the tours with guides really necessary in Charleston?

We will be spending two days in Charleston in a few weeks and I am trying to decide whether to call to make reservations to have a guided tour for our family. Is it possible to see most of the historic area and get the feel of the city on your own without spending the money to have a guided tour? Would the carriage rides be sufficient? We have two children, 12 and 8, and I am concerned about (1) whether the tours are more geared to adults and (2) their length. We will get the the city at about 10 or 11 am on a Friday and need to leave the next day at about 2-3 pm. Any other "must sees" that would be appropriate for kids? How long would the aquarium take to visit? Would including it be a mistake if it prevented us from seeing all of the other sites? Sorry for so many questions! Thanks for your help!

iceeu2 May 30th, 2003 03:01 PM

I don't know if they are necessary, but I can tell you this, one of the very best tours I have ever been on was in Charleston. The lady was born and raised in Charleston and loved her city which made the tour just wonderful!!

jame May 30th, 2003 06:28 PM

We took a wonderful walking tour of Charleston with Charleston Strolls. They have tours every day and will also arrange specialty or private tours. Their website is www.charlestonstrolls.com.

Catherine May 30th, 2003 06:48 PM

Since you have such a brief time in Charleston, take the tour which you have already booked. You will receive so much interesting information.

Warning, however,

This brief visit will definitely create a need in you to visit for a longer time. This truly is a fascinating place and a couple of days is never enough. My husband and I have been coming here for 20 years (I can't believe it's been that long) and we still find things to astound us. It's romantic (no matter your age) and the restaurants are excellent.

Indulge yourself and come back, without the children. You will NOT regret it.

IOPCarol May 30th, 2003 07:31 PM

Since your time in town in so short, I would definitely stick with the guided tour. We get lots of company and I will usually accompany all of them - have been on about 6 guided tours and each of them are unique! I learn something new every single time.

The aquarium takes about 2 hours, if you really read the children's educational guides or ask some of the tour guides for their input. I absolutely LOVE the aquarium!

Wishing you the best on your visit to Charleston. If you get a chance, take a drive out to one of the beaches (Isle of Palms or Folly). Extra doses of fun.