Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Are people afraid of the subway in NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/are-people-afraid-of-the-subway-in-nyc-564745/)

Ben_e_fit Oct 15th, 2005 02:20 PM

Are people afraid of the subway in NYC?

Hi. Am going to NYC next month and am excited. I just thought I'd ask if the number of people travelling by underground tube (subway) has dropped since the recent terrorist alerts? I only ask because fewer people travel by tube in London now and I personally prefer to travel by bus since the London bombings. Is bus travel in NYC good? Thanks for your help.

Gekko Oct 15th, 2005 06:34 PM

Hoax or not, millions of people ride the subway every day. On the 1st day of the (hoax?) alert, I rode it twice, round-trip to Queens and to the East Village.

NYC's bus service is excellent, but it can be very slow compared to the subway, particularly cross-town. Visit the MTA website for maps and other info.

bill_boy Oct 15th, 2005 07:00 PM

Subway ridership has not gone down since the recent terrorist alert. Why: Because it's a way of life here in NYC. The same peolple who take them to and form work everyday still took them.

The bus system in NYC are as good as any in any world classs city. I like it for getting around Manhattan than the subways. Less claustrophobic, less humid, much cleaner and smells better than the subways.

nytraveler Oct 15th, 2005 07:19 PM

I'm sure there are a few (very few) people who may be hesitent to ride the subway - but I don;t know any of them. (NYC has been on orange alert continuously since 911 - we all just ignore it.)

Subway is the fastest and most convenient way to get around if you're going any distance. The bus service is great - and goes everywhere in Manhattan and many places in the outer boroughs - but is often VERY slow compared to the subway (often 5/15 miles per hour vs 50/60) especially in most of Manhattan.

GoTravel Oct 16th, 2005 08:58 AM

One thing to ad, if there is media on the possibility of a terrorist attack on the NYC Subway, the terrorists would be more hesitant to attack because riders and the authorities are looking for an attack.

Me? Personally I feel safer on the subway since this came out.

suzanne Oct 16th, 2005 10:59 AM

I haven't given the "terrorist alert" any thought and continue to ride the subway everyday. Ridership does not appear to be down, in fact, I'm seeing more small children on the subway than ever before.

Buses are painfully slow because of the traffic lights, they stop every 1/6 mile (roughly - the local ones), and it takes a very long time for people to load on because they all have to swipe their cards...and no one is in any particular rush. And sometimes the wait at the bus stop is interminable. I find walking to be faster a lot of the time!

However, visitors to the city may prefer buses because of the sightseeing aspect...you can see a lot more of the city above ground than below.

alya Oct 16th, 2005 07:59 PM

On our trips to NY we've never worried to use the subway although on one journey a group of musicians were playing and singing while the lady sitting next to me was crocheting.

I remember thinking how 'normal' it felt. :-)

bgans Oct 16th, 2005 08:12 PM

People who normally ride the subway still ride the subway. My husband takes it to work from the Upper West Side of Manhattan to Midtown every day. The day after the alert was made public, I rode the subway with my 17 month old daughter. Most of us are always aware of our surroundings and notice when things are "off".

As for the bus, I like using them, especially with my daughter, simply because it's easier (the bus stops in front of our apartment building and the nearest subway station is 4 blocks away). They can be slow, especially in Midtown and going across town, so factor in a little extra time when using them.

Have a great visit.

djkbooks Oct 16th, 2005 10:50 PM

We prefer the buses no matter where we travel. The stops are more conveniently located, and there's all that scenery all along the way (which you miss completely traveling underground).

We loved the double decker buses in London, particularly whenever seats in the front on the upper deck were available.

As for NYC, the you can print fabulous maps of the bus routes from the NYC transit website.

You do know that buses were bombed in London as well?

Ben_e_fit Oct 17th, 2005 03:29 AM

Thanks everyone writing back on this one. djkbooks, I do know that a bus was bombed on july 7 as well. Immediately after the bombings in London the press reported that people were going about their daily lives as normal but in the weeks following there was a dramatic decrease in tube users and in fact bus users. things are back to normal now in terms of people using public transport. I wouldn't rule out travelling by tube or subway all together in NYC, I just wanted to check whether people felt it was safe to, given that there was a recent threat.
Thanks again