Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Are Boston Taxis Expensive? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/are-boston-taxis-expensive-983499/)

chucktown_dobbs Jun 30th, 2013 01:42 PM

Are Boston Taxis Expensive?

My wife and I will be visiting Boston for the first time in September of this year.

We're staying at two downtown hotels: Hilton Faneuil Hall & InterContinental.

We will not have a car.

I'm starting to research restaurants and many that I'm interested in are 1-3 miles from our hotels.

How are the taxis in Boston? Are they plentiful? Are they expensive?

We do not use taxis much (at all), so I'm a bit "un-educated" on them. I just didn't know if this would be a valid option for us.

Thanks for your help!

Robbie

gail Jun 30th, 2013 02:10 PM

Your hotels are very centrally located and within walking distance of many restaurants - especially the North End (Italian) and some seafood along the Harbor. But if you want to take a taxi to someplace, I would figure in the $10-18 range for these trips - but that is a rough estimate. The MBTA is also an option.

taxifarefinder.com will let you get a closer estimate. The door/bellman at the hotel will be happy to get you a taxi; most upscale restaurants will be happy to get you a cab when you are done dining - or just flag one down on the street..

Since you say you are taxi-inexperienced, a few things to remember. You tip the driver approximately 15% - usually by rounding up to some amount (like the fare is $12.15 and you give him $15. In this situation it is OK to give him a $20 bill and let him know you want $5 change). You pay before getting out of the taxi. It is preferred to pay in cash, although some taxis now take credit cards.

You don't want a car in Boston. Walk, take the MBTA, or taxi. Have a nice trip.

chucktown_dobbs Jun 30th, 2013 02:13 PM

Great info, Gail.

Thanks so much for your advice and tips! Very helpful.

We look forward to exploring Boston.

Robbie

Lookin_Glass Jun 30th, 2013 02:44 PM

what restaurants are you thinking about. I'm guessing you can reach the closer ones by foot. Public trans and cab one way. I really like the intercontinental.

Ackislander Jul 1st, 2013 01:37 AM

I would love to know where you plan to eat since, as Gail and LG point out, much of Boston is easily accessible by T. I think the exception is the South End, places like Hamersley's Bistro, which can be reached more or less, but you have to know where you are going.

travelgourmet Jul 1st, 2013 06:46 AM

Are Boston taxis expensive? Probably, but no more than most cities, I'd say. It costs you $2.60 to sit down and $2.80 for each subsequent mile (split into 7ths). Then there is waiting time if traffic is an issue. So, for your rides, you are probably looking at the $7 to $15 range, plus tip.

Are the taxis plentiful? Reasonably, depending upon where you are. A street like Boylston is usually full of them. And the wait at your hotels should never be more than a minute or two. Some areas, though, will be a bit tougher, but your restaurant can call one if needed.

For dinner, I usually take a taxi to and from the restaurant. If it is close enough to walk, I'll walk, but taking the T to a restaurant that is 2 or 3 miles away isn't worth the hassle. The one-way T fare is $2.50 each, so $5 each way for the two of you. Seems silly to take the extra time and effort to take the T for what will be relatively minimal savings. This goes double if you have to switch lines.

A couple of other thoughts:

"Restaurant Row" in the South End (e.g. Hammersley's, B&G, etc) are within half a mile of Back Bay station, so relatively accessible to the T. Heck, they are about as close to a T station as the Intercontinental. The primary areas that are a bit tougher to reach via T would be much of Sowa and the Seaport District. The Silver Line serves both areas, but the Silver Line is basically a glorified bus.

Personally, I find the North End largely overrated. There are some decent places, but the overall vibe is dated and mediocre.

If you offer a list of restaurants you are considering, folks can weigh in with thoughts.

msteacher Jul 1st, 2013 08:59 AM

As others have indicated, you may be able to get around more cheaply and easily using the T, which is the public transportation system. In most downtown areas the T is a subway, and other areas an overground train. It is very easy to use and likely your most efficient mode of transport. If you have questions about how to use the T, just post here and I'm sure some Boston Fodorites will guide you through it. Even if you've never used a subway before, I'm sure you can do it. Have fun!

travelgourmet Jul 1st, 2013 09:15 AM

<i>you may be able to get around more cheaply and easily using the T</i>

More cheaply? Sure. More easily? Only for a limited number of destinations at limited times of the day.

<i>It is very easy to use and likely your most efficient mode of transport.</i>

Again, easy to use? Sure, within reason. Most efficient? That depends upon how you measure it. Thought of from the perspective of "what gets me to my destination in the quickest way possible, with the least effort on my part", then a taxi will often be more "efficient" and will almost always be more efficient for trips originating at your hotel.

The T is most "efficient" for relatively long distance trips during rush hour.

cw Jul 1st, 2013 07:10 PM

What restaurants are you considering? For instance, a taxi to Island Creek Oyster Bar would be stuck in traffic on a Red Sox game night. Often the T can be faster and more convenient.

The downtown Hilton is probably a 5 to 10 minute walk from Faneuil Hall.

travelgourmet Jul 2nd, 2013 03:03 AM

<I>For instance, a taxi to Island Creek Oyster Bar would be stuck in traffic on a Red Sox game night. Often the T can be faster and more convenient. </I>

Once you factor in waiting for the train, the walk from both ends, the fact you might have to wait for a train with any room, and the stop and go nature of the Green Line, most (probably all) of the speed difference is negated. I've done both in the past week from Arlington to Fenway and the taxi is more efficient, IMO.

Not to mention that the green line on game nights (or outbound during rush hour) is the seventh circle of hell. Particularly unpleasant.

Unless you are coming from Quincy at rush hour or traffic is bad even for Boston, a taxi will almost always be faster than the T. The exception would be a straight shot on the Red Line (or Orange if you get lucky), where your start and end points are very close to the stations.

Ackislander Jul 2nd, 2013 03:22 PM

The OP hasn't been back, so we don't know whether he wants to eat at Kelley's Roast Beef in Revere Beach (T), East Coast Grill in Inman Square (taxi), or XV Beacon (walk).

If he doesn't care, let's not get exercised about it ourselves.

chucktown_dobbs Jul 3rd, 2013 02:12 AM

Thank you for all of your replies!

I have been crazy busy the last few days, so I haven't been able to respond appropriately to your comments/questions.

I plan to get back Fodors this evening when I have more time.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Robbie

gail Jul 3rd, 2013 03:39 AM

Chuck - to add one more thing to our taxi micro-managing, I admit to in several cities going to a restaurant within easy walking distance to my hotel, drinking a bit too much wine and feeling quite stuffed - and taking a cab for a relatively short ride back to my hotel. You can always make an excuse to yourself that it is late and dark and you are taking the taxi for safety (although Boston areas you are likely to be in are quite safe). If you use a taxi for such a short rise, tip a bit more in percentage - I never tip less than $2, even if it is a very short ride.

And you don't need to respond to each of us - but thanks for letting us know you are still out there.

chucktown_dobbs Jul 3rd, 2013 12:21 PM

Alright.

I've finally got some time to get back to the thread I started!

Sorry for the delay and thanks again for your patience.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I'm just starting to do some restaurant research. A couple of the restaurants that initially appealed to me were: Drink (for cocktails), Franklin Cafe (sounds intriguing), Eastern Standard, & Bin 26 Enoteca. Any thoughts on these choices (fyi, my wife is gluten-free)?

I've also looked at restaurants closer to our hotels, but the ones I've listed are somewhat outliers. Google Maps shows that they're 1.5 to 3 miles away from the hotel. That's when I considered the taxi idea.

Nothing is set in stone - like I said I'm, just starting to dig around and get a feel for the city.

Public transit may be an option (if we choose to go to these restaurants), but it still seems like we'd have to walk a little ways to get to the restaurant. Not knowing the areas (safety-wise), I didn't know if a taxi would be a better option.

We're very comfortable and confident about learning to use the public transportation in a city (as we've done many times before), so that's not an issue.

Thanks for all of your tips, info and advice.

Robbie

travelgourmet Jul 3rd, 2013 12:59 PM

Okay...

Drink is actually walking distance to the IC. Less than half a mile over the channel. The area is a bit quiet at night, but the neighborhood is fine and safe. It is roughly a mile from the Hilton, so walking or cab.

Franklin Cafe is a good place. Casual. Above average food. I would take a taxi from where you are. It is a walk from the T. Neighborhood is safe, as long as you walk North from there. Going more than a block or two South from there is questionable - I'd still say safe, but there are a lot of homeless folks around due to proximity to the main shelter for the city being in the area.

Eastern Standard is very, very good bistro food. Very good cocktails as well. This is one of those areas we were disagreeing on. It isn't that far from the Kenmore stop, but the Green Line sucks. Small, slow, crowded trains. Just unpleasant. A taxi will almost certainly be faster and only a few dollars more. Safe neighborhood. Right by Fenway Park and there is a lot of nightlife around, too.

Bin 26... I mean, it is nice enough if you are in the neighborhood. If you wanted to see Beacon Hill at night, then sure, I guess. Frankly, if I wanted that sort of thing, I'd go to Coppa (across from Franklin Cafe) 10 times before I would go to Bin 26. I'd again say taxi, unless you wanted to walk roughly a mile. Safe neighborhood.

If I could recommend one restaurant in Boston, I'd consider going to Clio and sitting at the bar. Great restaurant (sitting at a table is more formal) and the bar menu has some cool stuff (you can also order from the main menu). I think the cocktails are the best in town. All sorts of cool things to try. Honestly, it is probably my favorite restaurant in Boston.

FWIW, not sure why you are splitting your nights between the hotels (points maybe?), but I'd rate the IC above the Hilton in pretty much ever respect.

travelgourmet Jul 3rd, 2013 01:13 PM

FWIW, just to offer some perspective about my seeming opposition to using public transit. I live in Boston. Not in the suburbs. My house is maybe 1 mile from the IC. And I am a couple of blocks from two different T stops. When going out to dinner or drinks, my wife and I almost always take a taxi (or Uber or Lyft) or walk. It genuinely is much easier. It isn't that the T is terrible, but with two people and for trips less than 3 miles, a taxi is faster and simply doesn't cost that much more anyway.

<i>We're very comfortable and confident about learning to use the public transportation in a city (as we've done many times before), so that's not an issue.</i>

The T is easy to use. The only things to bear in mind:

1) The Blue Line goes nowhere you will want to go (unless you insist upon taking it to or from the airport - I wouldn't). Ignore it.
2) In off hours, the Orange Line can be relatively infrequent, so you may have to wait for up to 10 minutes. Also, the only really useful parts for a tourist will be between North Station and Back Bay (maybe Mass Ave).
3) The Red Line is the "nicest" of the lines, is frequent, and is fast. I would waive my objections to using the T if I were heading to spots in Cambridge that are near the T stop, such as if you wanted to visit Harvard.
4) The Green Line is slow and crowded. Very frequent, though, at least until you end up out on one of the fingers.
5) Inbound always means the train is heading toward one of these 4 stations: Park Street, State, Downtown Crossing and Government Center. Outbound means you are heading away from them.

chucktown_dobbs Jul 3rd, 2013 01:55 PM

Wow. Great, detailed and useful info, TG!

Thanks for your thoughts on those restaurants (and the surrounding areas) and for the recommendations. Great info on the T.

Yes, the split nights at the hotels are due to points. Trying to keep this visit somewhat inexpensive (ff points to get there, hotel points, no rental car, etc). I figure the main cost will be food (and maybe taxis?). And we really enjoy food!

Thanks.

Robbie

travelgourmet Jul 3rd, 2013 02:03 PM

<i>Yes, the split nights at the hotels are due to points.</i>

Makes sense.

FWIW, there is another Hilton in the Back Bay. It is older, so might not be as nice, but it might be a cool option to split the nights between two different neighborhoods.

gail Jul 3rd, 2013 02:15 PM

As usual travelgourmet has good and current info about Boston - but missed one detail on why to take a taxi over the MBTA - the air conditioning is always broken on the train I take.

travelgourmet Jul 3rd, 2013 02:16 PM

<i>And we really enjoy food!</i>

Then I'd consider the following restaurants (in addition to the above):

Myers + Chang (SoWa)
Catalyst (Cambridge)
Hungry Mother (Cambridge)
Puritan and Company (Cambridge)
Blue Dragon (Seaport)
Bondir (Cambridge)
The Butcher Shop (South End)
B&G Oysters (South End)
Hammersley's Bistro (South End)