Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are air travelers today merely inconvenienced, or hassled?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:18 PM
Gary

So many of the nuts who want our whole air travel system to come to a near halt claim we are just being "merely inconvenienced" by all the lines and check points.

It is funny how that word "inconvenienced" is used over and over to down play the pain all this crazy security is putting us through.

What do you think, are we just being merely inconvenienced?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:24 PM
Bill

Yes. It's not even a big inconvenience, Gary. In fact, my airport transit time when I travel is about the same as it was before 9/11. More thorough bag checks but more security checkpoints to handle the searches, so it's a wash.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:28 PM
XXXXX

I would bet the loved ones and family members of those lost on September 11th wished travelers had been "merely inconvenienced" or "hassled" pre September 11th. No, I don't think the wait time is any different.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:40 PM
kat

Having traveled recently cross country w/stops at several airports, I didn't feel inconvenienced or hassled. Wait time was minimal going and coming. The only difference I noticed was the random security checks at boarding gates ( I was not chosen) and showing ID everywhere you go. Otherwise, travel was pretty easy and uneventful.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:06 PM
frequentflier

I don't feel hassled but I don't see how any of the "security" measures the airlines are touting now would have stopped a single psycho hijacker on 9/11. Also, they are going a bit far sometimes. I mean, I had a pack of matches (from my honeymoon resort) and security confiscated that, but not my six inch metal pen. I flew last month, and they tried to take away my sister's keychain - a plastic bungee cord with no metal parts at all. Huh? As I said, I don't mind the additional security, but I just wish it actually made air travel more secure.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:06 PM
Lillith

I consider it a minor inconvenience and have found the delays to be minimal.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:09 PM
Mark

Gary

If it is that "painful" for you why travel? Stay home.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:12 PM
Amber

Gary, I have to agree with Mark, it sounds like it is a major issue with you. Why travel if it bothers you so much?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:17 PM
xxx

For me....a simple and understandable inconvenience.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:19 PM
Cal

Actually, I think the fact that 90% of flights are now ON-TIME more than outweighs the extra security. I have only been late ONCE since 9-11 and I fly every week.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Dick

I think our Gary here is the same guy as the spineless worm Jack who posted the dumbest thread in the history of Fodor's titled the terrorists have won.

What say you dork?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:38 PM
Statia

I agree with most of the above posters. I have never felt "hassled" since 9/11, but maybe a "tad" inconvenienced at times. I still prefer a bit of inconvenience for my safety. I have also not noticed any REAL differene in travel times or inconveniences since 9/11.