Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arches Scenery vs. Bryce & Zion Scenery...how different?

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all the Fodorites :-" , I just about have our 2-week trip in Southern Utah planned.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to just concentrate on the areas between and around Zion NP and Torrey/Capitol Reef (including N. Rim, Lake Powell, Kolob Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Bryce, Grand Staircase-Escalante). Or should we try to add Moab/Arches NP to our trip, too?

Keeping in mind I'm traveling with an elderly (yet active) group...we will not be hiking...just "leg stretchers". Most of our trip will be driving through the beautiful scenery (including fall foliage) with stops along the way for photos and closer looks. (exception...scenic boat ride on Lake Powell one day)

Question #1: How different is the scenery in Arches NP than what we will be seeing listed above?

Question #2 (If we add Moab/Arches): Since we are coming the last two weeks in October to experience the fall foliage, do we want to start our trip in Moab/Arches and work our way down to Zion? Or, do we start in Zion and work our way up to Moab/Arches?

I know weather and fall colors are unpredictable, just looking for the "best guess" here.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Please scratch the word "elderly" in my post. I truly don't want to offend anyone. They are "seasoned" travelers.

Am I just digging myself in a bigger hole? :-<

To be frank...they are 73 to 81.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:14 AM

In my opinion if you can take three full days for Arches n.Park and surroundings you should do it. Even the scenery between Zion and Bryce canyon is completely different.Moab is the ideal base for this.PAul
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:56 AM

With a two week trip planned, I would definitely spend some time in Moab/Arches. The scenery is very diverse throughout your planned route, even between Zion and Bryce, as tovarich mentioned. But the Moab area is incredible - so much to see that doesn't require hiking.
Not sure about fall foliage - being from northern NY where the fall colors are brilliant, I don't think of the west as a place to go for fall color. However, the drive on Rte 12 over Boulder Mtn has been gorgeous in mid Sept with blazing yellow aspens. Even if there is no fall color, the scenery will knock your socks off! If you're interested, here is a link to pictures from our last trip:
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter Bowden\My Documents\My Pictures\Utah 04

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:20 AM

Hi sharondi. Good advice on Arches but doubt if jewelhawg has access to your hard drive to see your photos. Have you posted then on the web? If so, give the web link. Thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Sharondi...YES! Please post the weblink to your pictures...love to see them!

We specifically did a fall foliage trip 2.5 years ago to Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, Nantahala National Forest and the Great Smoky Mountains. WOW...it was incredible. That's the trip we realized it was getting tough to pack up and move often.

I never considered Southern Utah to be a fall foliage destination until I stumbled onto a photographers website with fall pictures of Southern Utah. www.wildnatureimages.com Oh...my...gosh! What a contrast in beauty! Hence, we decided to do Southern Utah in the fall...realizing not all areas will have fall colors.

Since you, tovarich and others vote for Moab area...it's in the itinerary now!

I just don't know whether to fly into Salt Lake City and start our trip in Moab and work our way down to Zion and fly out of LV to go home ~ or ~ vice-versa.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM

The scenery is different enough that if you can find the time, I think you should include Arches. There are some very scenic drives and short walks there that would be great for you.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Oh man! I make that stupid mistake all the time. Sorry everyone. Here is the link that will work:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah04
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 03:07 PM
bwg

How long is the drive from St. George to Arches? Arches to las Vegas? We are thinking of extewnding our trip and adding some time in Arches if the driving is feasible -thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM

I used to lead tours to that area. We actually started in Bozeman, and went to Yellowstone, but week 2 started in SLC, we drove to Moab. If I remember right, it was about a 4 hour drive. We stopped in Price UT for lunch, then continued on to the John Wesley Powell Museum, before getting to Moab. Arches is fantastic ... easy viewpoints from the road, and easy walks to others. Your group will do fine. We would do a Colorado River trip light show one evening ... From there, we drove to Kayenta, stopping in Blanding for a quick lunch. Overnight in Kayenta, and then toured Monument Valley in the morning with lunch. That afternoon, drive to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, stopping in Cameron for bathroom/shopping break. We did 2 nights at the Grand Canyon, then drove to Bryce. We stopped again at Cameron, then lunch at Lake Powell after a stop at Glen Canyon Dam. Afternoon stop was at the gift shop on the turn to Zion, sorry, can't remember the name at the moment. We'd get to Bryce around 5ish. We spent 2 nights there, then would go to Zion. We only spent 1 night there, but I would spend at least 2. There's some easy hikes, and the tram will take you on a nice tour, if people don't want to hike/walk. From Zion we'd go to Vegas, stopping in Mesquite for lunch.

Just some ideas for you to think over for your group. Many of the people I toured were in your age group, and everyone had a great time!

Have fun!

Denice
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 07:42 PM

The answer is very simple: if you have to see one place in this area you should see Arches. It is by far the most unique place in this area, if not in the entire US. You also have canyonds-land near by, with dead-horse point.