Rental car in Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2018, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be renting a car at LAX airport for about 2 weeks which gives us included/free Road side assistance

But again there is an option of getting Road side assistance at an extra price/cost

What is the difference between the 2

[img]webkit-fake-url://f90386a1-e99b-4913-9b20-64fa4da186e1/imagejpeg[/img]

Thanks
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your post isn't clear. Is the roadside assistance "included/free" or is it an option at "extra price/cost"?
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Old Nov 21st, 2018, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

It says it is included

but again it gives an option to tick Road side assistance

hope its clear now
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Last edited by asimm; Nov 21st, 2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 08:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Fox auto rental is well-known for its scams. Search the forums for horror stories about them.
I'd steer clear of Fox. And, I sure wouldn't count on them for roadside assistance.
Does your auto insurance provide roadside assistance? Or your credit card?
Try costco.com auto rentals.
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 02:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Does your auto insurance provide roadside assistance? Or your credit card?
Try costco.com auto rentals.
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 03:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As others are clarifying for you, FOX is not the agency people would recommend for you to use in Los Angeles for a rental car.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions and feddbavk

NO , I haven’t booked the car yet . Was trying to figure out a ball park estimate for the rental along with insurance

Also checked few direct rental car companies like thrift, Avis , hertz , dollar and Hertz came out the cheapest

Hertz price for LA pick & drop compared to L.A. pickup and SF drop off also remained the same , strange isn’t it
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

@janisj is right in pointing out that we are foreigners and our car insurance wouldn’t matter

But I have a WORLD credit card issued by our local bank , need to see what it offers. If it says it covers Insurance or road side assistance , then do I need to get it again in US
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 03:01 AM

If your credit card offers worldwide roadside assistance, you don’t need to get it again from the rental company.
I would click on the roadside assistance question mark to see what it says, so you can see the difference between the one included and the one you pay additional for. If the explanation is not sufficient, call them.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 08:56 PM

Asimm, sometimes if you have an airline frequent flyer membership or a Visa through your airline, you can use their link to reserve a car. You may find some savings by using the link.

Many years ago, Hertz and Avis were considered the top of the line for American car rentals. They may still be the leaders, but the other mainstream ones--Enterprise, Budget, followed by Dollar and Thrifty are right on their tails. You should do okay with any of those.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5alive
Asimm, sometimes if you have an airline frequent flyer membership or a Visa through your airline, you can use their link to reserve a car. You may find some savings by using the link.

Many years ago, Hertz and Avis were considered the top of the line for American car rentals. They may still be the leaders, but the other mainstream ones--Enterprise, Budget, followed by Dollar and Thrifty are right on their tails. You should do okay with any of those.
I checked few direct rental car companies like thrift, Avis , hertz , dollar etc and Hertz came out the cheapest

Hertz price for LA pick & drop compared to L.A. pickup and SF drop off also remained the same , strange isn’t it
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 11:28 AM

Try autoslash.com and carrental.com too
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 04:33 PM

So just to confirm that you understoodvwhat I was saying.

My suggestion is this:

You go into your frequent flyer account for your airlines and see if there is a link to a car rental. Sometimes that link can be a better price than going directly to the car rental's own price.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Yea thanks I understood it

the frequent flyer programme mostly gives a car renting option and with a 10-20% discount
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 09:50 AM

Wherever you rent a car, I would recommend that you take full insurance from a reliable insurer. In the event of a traffic incident, you didn't have to hire a lawyer for car insurance claims. Unfortunately, I got into this situation. It cost me more than the savings on insurance.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 08:04 AM

I'm only going to add three things to this discussion.

1. Cheaper doesn't always equate to better (or even cheaper). You get what you pay for. Please be very careful in looking at terms. Some companies charge extra if you cross state boundary lines. I can't tell you if Fox is one of those companies, but the not-national companies are the most likely culprits, and Fox is known for nickle-and-diming.
2. While virtually all car-rental companies offer roadside assistance, you still have to pay for any services rendered. Buying the roadside assistance policy means those costs are included ... say you lock yourself out of the car or have a flat tire. But always read the fine print to make sure you know what you're getting.
3. Most non-U.S. travelers are able to get a price quote that includes all required insurances. I'm surprised that you aren't getting a full package rate, but that alone might explain why Fox is cheaper than the larger national companies. There's a quirk in the U.S. California (and California alone) does not include liability coverage with car rentals, so you always have to buy that. If you have car insurance in the U.S., then your liability coverage transfers to any rental you're driving, but if you aren't from the U.S., then you always have to buy that coverage unless you have a larger travel umbrella policy that confers coverage.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 08:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Please DO NOT rent a car from Fox! You can probably get a car from a reputable company for the extra $7/day. Twice I rented from Fox. Both times, there was a bad problem with the tires which was dangerous.
The first time I got to Fox about noon and all of the economy cars were gone. They sent me out from Las Vegas in a ragtop Jeep. I was out on I-15 headed toward Primm and the steering felt a little funny. I made it to Barstow where I checked the tire pressures. One was at 22psi. The others were a little low 28-30psi. I was able to get some geocaches in the Mojave that i would not have found if I had an economy car.
The next time I rented from Fox was in SLC. Soon after I left the lot the TPMS light on the dash lit and I went back. One of the tires was inflated to 90psi. The guy let out air for about a minute to get it back to normal.
I checked the tire pressures all around several times on that trip.
The last time I rented at LAX, (Memorial Day), I rented from Enterprise. I didn't take the insurance. While I was in Costco, someone hit the car with a low flat cart damaging the driver side rocker panel. I paid my $500 deductable when I turned in the car. A couple months later I got a check from Enterprise because the repair cost less than $500.