April travel with 12 and 11 year old boys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that this is my very first post, please bear with me....
My husband and I along with our two boys will have the opportunity to travel during spring break - April 4th through the 11th. We live in Philladelphia, PA.
Here is what I am looking for in a vacation anywhere in the US. For me, something different and unique -I have been to Wild Dunes SC, Hilton Head, Arizona, Chicago, Washington DC, Sanibel FL, OC,NJ; Upstate NY, - loved all of them. Looking for some place relatively warm with lots of areas of interest nearby.
Here are the family requests for this vacation:
11 year old wants a place to play basketball and soccer. 12 year old wants some freedom to hang out and walk into a small town or "community center", ride a bike or walk around with some automony. Basically to chill out and watch some cable tv. Very exciting I know, but I guess it's what a lot of 12 year olds want during a vacation
We tend to want to see historic sites and move around from a base location where we can settle and drive to various places of interest. Personally, I have interest in native american history as well as non-touristy areas.
Anyone have any ideas of a resort type of place that isn't cheesy but offers some of these features? Thanks a million for your suggestions.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM

If you like white water rafting I would suggest Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee and Northern Georgia. Close to where they all meet are many native American historical sites, and I think your boys would love the rafting experiences. There are also many hiking opportunities, waterfalls etc.

I don't know about basketball and community centers, but if you can find a condo, or timeshare place, I know there are Fairfield and RCI places around that area. They usually have common areas where teens can hang out.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM

Well, if you come to San Diego, they can play video games with my 11-12 year old son which is probably all they really want to do!....lol, just kidding.

My son who is that age, did enjoy our cruise on Navigator of the Seas out of FLL to Cozumel. He also enjoys San Francisco, especially exploring the historic ships of Fisherman's wharf and having THE world's best hot fudge sundae, according to him, at Ghirardelli's.

He is so enthused about cruising, we are looking at doing Alaska next.

Another thought is Boston...he loves Revolutionary war history so that would be a cool town to check out.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the quick replys and the great suggestions..keep them coming please, I'd love to hear all that is out there to consider. I do like the idea of renting a condo or timeshare where there may be some time of community center for the boys, but also lots to do in the surrounding areas. I don't know too much about Eastern Tennessee area or Northern Georgia areas, but certainly will look into it. We had considered San Diego, but unsure if it is a good place to go with the kids, or more of a place to visit as a couple. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm looking forward to doing lots of searches online for the areas suggested thus far.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:48 PM

I like the previous suggestions a lot. White water rafting is so much fun! San Diego is said to be a great destination for kids, it's on our very short list of places to visit soon.

I'll volunteer another suggestion. Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio seems to have many of the things your looking for, including warmer weather. I only know it from word of mouth, but it is a popular resort. It has a "teen club" with video games and billiards, etc. for ages 12-16 only.

http://hillcountry.hyatt.com/hyatt/h...sanhcredirect1
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

just checked out your suggestion for the Hyatt Hill Country Resort and it is exactly what I have been looking for. They have basketball, an onsite family tubing area and warm weather. This is a keeper. I'll let you know what we decide but think this is a really great option. Thx!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:57 AM

Key West & also Western NC. NC has one of the higher instances of native-Americans in the country.http://www.usnwc.org/ http://www.cherokee-nc.com/ http://nc-cherokee.com/ http://www.hanksville.org/sand/conta...North+Carolina
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

excellent suggestions. I think I'm going to start planning the trip to San Antonio. A couple other questions that someone may be able to answer for me. 1. Is ther a direct flight from Philadelphia area to San Antonio? 2. Is it better to book a flight now or wait to see if I can obtain cheaper air fare as it gets closer to when we are leaving (beginning of April). Everyone has been great - I love this forum. Better than chocolate!