Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Approximate end of hurricane season? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/approximate-end-of-hurricane-season-547204/)

kcapuani Jul 27th, 2005 07:41 AM

Approximate end of hurricane season?

When is the end of hurricane season for Florida (realizing that there are anomalies)? Would I be safe to visit Naples around the second week of October?

BeachBoi Jul 27th, 2005 07:42 AM

Hurricane sason ..June 1 thru November 30

kcapuani Jul 27th, 2005 10:31 AM

I knew it ran through the end of Oct but didn't realize it lasted so long. I found some info on USA Today's website about hurricane probabilities etc. so I think I'll just go for the trip anyways...

KT Jul 27th, 2005 11:02 AM

June through November is the official hurricane season, during which the National Hurricane Center tracks hurricanes over an area including the Atlantic and the eastern Pacific, and goes to the outer limits, time-wise. Historically, the Florida "busy season" has been August and September. This year, Dennis hit early, and a rough season has been predicted. But who knows for sure when exactly the storms will hit?

SAnParis Jul 27th, 2005 11:11 AM

I've never had trouble in November. Most of the times I have been evacuated from the Beach have occurred in October.

bob_brown Jul 27th, 2005 11:20 AM

The person who can predict hurricanes accurately will die very rich.

andy Jul 27th, 2005 11:28 AM

kcapuani-

if you do in Naples in Nov, in most instances, it will be fine...

But again, no one can predict hurricanes. I have yet to see one in FL in Nov as we normally go down for Thanksgiving....

However, Oct can be iffy....

xkenx Jul 27th, 2005 12:41 PM

Peak Atlantic hurricane season is mid-
August to mid-October, with much lower numbers July and Nov. We've already seen 2 early season hurricanes. The odds are small for a given spot on a given week being affected, but if you are nervous about it, maybe waiting until November....

GoTravel Jul 27th, 2005 12:59 PM

We are no busier this year than we have been in years past. It is just there are more named storms and last fall's horrific hurricane season has caused the media to highlight more of these storms.

Go to the National Hurricane Centers website and click on history and you'll see several years in the past ten that we've had as many as seven storms in July.

I've been saying this for years on this site; remember that hurricane season is the PEAK times for hurricanes and tropical storms. Tropical storms appear before June and after November.

TripleSecDelay Jul 31st, 2005 12:39 AM

I was taught that it ends 2 weeks after we visit that particular territory.

Stephanie Jul 31st, 2005 03:46 AM

kc:

best time to visit Florida is November. Its down to low 80s during the day, and up to mid-60s at night with little or no rain. If your not going down to visit relatives I'd highly suggest this time. Regarding hurricanes, none when I was there in November. However since this was an unusual year (started very early) you never know.

GoTravel Aug 1st, 2005 06:27 AM

Stephanie, this hurricane season is technically no busier than years past.

robbiegirl Aug 1st, 2005 12:22 PM

Years ago I would have said yes but we have been pretty busy with hurricaines down here until the start or end of November.
I would give it a try though.

Fairhope Aug 2nd, 2005 09:52 AM

“Although we have already seen a record-setting seven tropical storms during June and July, much of the season’s activity is still to come,” Gerry Bell, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration meteorologist, told reporters.

GoTravel Aug 2nd, 2005 10:01 AM

Fairhope, this isn't the first year we've seen seven storms before August.

DownSouth Aug 2nd, 2005 12:22 PM

Well, after seeing the predicted high numbers this afternoon, I'm starting to clean out my freezer TONIGHT!

GoTravel Aug 2nd, 2005 12:32 PM

DownSouth, what predicted high numbers?

kcapuani Aug 2nd, 2005 12:42 PM

Despite my slight reservations, I've decided to throw caution to the wind and am going to Naples in two weeks! I'll be there from 8/17-8/23. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. The idea of swimming in the warm gulf outweighs any thoughts of extreme weather... Plus, it looks as though Naples has been sparred from a direct hit for the past 40 years or so.

obxgirl Aug 2nd, 2005 12:46 PM

GoT, I think DownSouth was referring to this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...o&refer=us