Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Appropiate clothing for November New York trip!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 10:45 AM
Irma

Please I really need your help!!!...I'll be visiting NYC on Nov 3rd and it looks like it's gonna be very cold at that time, and I am a hot-weather lover and I have NO IDEA of what should I wear in this trip. What does FORMAL mean for New Yorkers???...What should I wear for a Broadway show???...PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!!

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 10:50 AM
Annie

Hi Irma:
What are you going to that formal???
Broadway....I like to get a bit dressed up. Nice suit or dress. Layers, layers and more layers...Early Novemeber can be 60's or 30's here! T-necks, sweaters, gloves, waterproof coat, umbrella...I'll think of more

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 11:26 AM
lisa

Virtually anything goes for attending a Broadway show. You will see people there in everything from jeans and T-shirts on up. Most people dress nicely but definitely not formally for a Broadway show. The seats tend to be close so wear something comfortable. I tend to wear something like black slacks with a long-sleeved black knit sweater.

In terms of staying warm, definitely think layering. If it's cold, silk and wool retain heat better than cotton, especially when wet, so I prefer silk and wool layers. Around this time of year, for walking around the city I will often wear jeans or slacks with a black T-shirt with a black wool jacket or black silk sweater over it, and a scarf to wear at my neck if it's windy (not too heavy), then a three-quarter length coat or jacket, and leather gloves if it's really cold. For footwear, low-heeled black shoes or boots that are comfortable for walking. You usually don't need a hat in November but you never know. Definitely bring an umbrella.

Formal generally means black tie unless white tie is specified which is almost never. Very few functions these days are really formal anymore. The classic little black dress still works for most occasions (in other words, anytime he's wearing a suit), but if it's truly formal (in other words, anytime he's in a tuxedo) you really need a long one. This is rarely the case though.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 11:29 AM
Hello

Irma, NYC can be somewhat unpredictable weather-wise. Lately we've been having some very nice, sunny Autumn days with cooler nights but not cold yet. However, it can turn damp, which can make you feel miserably cold especially if you plan to do a lot of walking around town. Bring a warm raincoat and clothing you can layer. Most people don't get VERY dressed up for theatre. Depends on what you want to do afterward or beforehand. "Casual chic" would be a safe bet. You can wear nice pants and a dressy blouse or sweater. As far as formal goes, it depends on where you're going. Is it a cocktail party or a black-tie event? Few people actually wear evening gowns anymore, I guess, unless it's some charity ball or something. A black cocktail dress or an evening suit is always safe. Wear it with some dressy shoes.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 12:06 PM
GOL

Re: dress for Broadway, wear whatever you want. There is no dress code (except opening night).

~ 12 months ago this topic came up just before we went to see Civil War. I actually tracked what people were wearing that night (during intermission. I noted the first 20 or so people I saw). Most women had on a dress, believe it or not. Only 1 man with a suit; I would equate the overall look to corporate dress down days; There were people in jeans.

I don't think regulars ever dress up for Broadway any more, unless there is a dinner or other event that requires it.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 12:25 PM
Caitlin

Actually, the people who seem to "dress down" the most at the theater are the tourists. Locals tend to dress nicely, if not especially formally. It also depends where you are--at Lincoln Center, even foe the Broadway-type shows, people dress up more.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 01:18 PM
GOL

Caitlin,
I'll respectfully agree and disagree with your message. I agree that a Lincoln Center venue will see better dressers. I disagree with the other part, though.

I do see what appears to be tourists all dressed up inside and in front of theatres. I believe they are tourists because I see them taking pictures in front of the theatres. Almost all are dressed up. This doesn't mean that all tourists dress up, but it has been my assumption. [My prejudged guess is that a NYC visitor thinks to themselves that a seeing a Broadway show is a big deal; supported by images from TV, awards shows, etc. Dressing up for a Broadway is a thing to do. I know when family/friends come to visit and they want to see a show, they always WANT to dress up.] Personally, if time becomes available and we decide to get TKTS or rush tickets, we don't think about what we wear to the theatre, whatever we have on. Also, several other posters on this subject (travel usenet NGs) have personally stated they don't dress up any longer. I based my "locals" comment on my experience, my assumptions and the one previous NG discussion. Please let me know your experience.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 01:47 PM
Irma

WOW GUYS, YOU ARE SO NICE!!!...THIS INFO. IS GOING TO BE SO HELPFUL!!!...IN LATIN AMERICA, FORMAL IS NOT EXACTLY BLACK TIE, THAT'S WHY I WAS SO CONFUSSED!...THANKS A LOT!!!...IF YOU CAN THINK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE THAT CAN BE HELPFUL, I'M ALL EARS!
THANKS AGAIN!...I CAN SEE YOU HAVE VERY NICE TASTE, AND THAT WAS EXACLTY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!
C'YA!

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 03:35 PM
Susan

Irma,
If you wear black in NY you will fit
right in -- and not feel under- or over-dressed.
Layers are a good idea. Keep in mind, though, that a sunny November afternoon can be quite mild. Also, if it's really cold out, say in the evening, the heat indoors can really be pumping. The subway, too, is sometimes hot. So make your bottom layer (like a t-shirt) something you wouldn't mind the world seeing, in case you find yourself needing to strip down! I have vowed never to wear a turtleneck (as a bottom layer) in NY again.
One more thing -- for windy evening walks, bring something with which to cover your ears. I have a stretchy chenille headband-thing that doesn't mess up my hair and fits easily into my purse. Wouldn't be caught without it!
Hope you have a great time.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:10 AM
IRMA

OK!, I got the idea, LAYERS are a "MUST", but now, let me ask you something else: what about the colors?...I like bright colors, I look like the typical Spanish, white skin and black hair, so birght colors such as red, fucsia, acqua, etc., looks good on me, but I've heard that NYC is for DARK COLORS such as gray and black, maybe if I wear my favorite colors I might feel "out of place"?...PLEASE; BE HONEST!!!
Irma

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:20 AM
em

NY is very relaxed from a fashion standpoint. Of course you can wear colors! People here have colored hair, chin rings, tatoos. Everything goes!
The only places people dress up are for meals in very expensive restaurants. Now some stores might give you better service if you look like you have many millions but otherwise do not worry.
i think black was emphasized because in general clever travellers who wish to minimize wardrobes know that black is innocuous & the most sophisticated color. NY is a place to have fun & be yourself. We are not a small town or snob ala Paris which I love anyway.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:51 AM
Irma

Yes!, I know what do you mean about Paris, and that's why I need as much information about clothing as possible; Parisians (is this the right spelling?) are so snobs!!!, you must definitely know what to wear and what not to wear, AMAZING, isn't it?! THANKS!

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 05:58 AM
NEWYORKER

I do think New Yorkers emphize black in their wardrobe. Since you come across as a hip, contemporary individual , I make the assuption that you will be wanting to hang out in hip, contemporary places. And the unofficial dress code in these types of places includes alot of black, and other neutral colors. My suggestion to you would be to wear your "favorite colors" as an accent, but dont overdo it, or yes, you will look out of place.

I also tend to disagree with the previous post concerning the "relaxed" fashion sense of New Yorkers. Sure on the street anything goes. But I have found that New Yorkers do dress more smartly when going to a restaurant or club than people do in the rest of the country. While this doesnt mean a suit and tie or formal dress, it does mean sharp, urban, contemporary clothing.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Irms

So, I can wear whatever I want?...I mean, we do wear nice clothing, contemporary but elegant, which is important to me since I'm a model, but I was worried because of the cold of the city, as you know in some places if you are not like the average, then you are OUT!...for clubs, can I wear skirts and shirts?..or should I wear pants, long sleeves, etc, it sounds so boring to me!!!