Applause for soldiers at the Atlanta airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the airport today, having lunch at Paschal's in the atrium. I heard few claps and looked to see what was going on. There was a platoon of soldiers in camoflauge at the railing of the second floor of the atrium. I thought "how nice".

A few minutes later, there was a standing ovation as they came from the second floor and crossed the atrium to go to their gates. It was a wonderful moment.

I'm not a fan of this war, but I am a huge fan of our soldiers. Everyone in the atrium area stopped to show their appreciation. Everyone. Travelers in a rush, stopped, put luggage down and applauded. It was a great moment.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM

That's a wonderful story, starrsville. I, too, am so grateful to our soldiers. Last month I was having lunch at Pizza Uno's in Chicago and in walked two young soldiers (they looked like kids). The lady serving their pizza said, "thank you for serving our country". I was so moved that I treated them to lunch. God bless our young men and women.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM

If we cared about our soldiers, we'd take more resposibilty for where we send them

. . . and why.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Don't get it started, semperfid.

I think the applause was a wonderful, spontaneous show of support for their service. Thanks for sharing, starrsville.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Every country probably applauds its own soldiers: Germany during W.W.II, Russia during its Afghan war, the heroic defenders of Dienbienphu, etc. The question is how will history look at these armies on foreign soils?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM

What a nice post. It warms my heart when others appreciate and more importantly respect the men and women who serve and their families..

Did anyone see Larry King and his feature about Fisher Houses? Fisher familiy has developed many Fisher houses near military hospitals natinwide (Landstuhl Germany) for families of wounded serviceman or ill military cbildren..if you are looking for a chance to give back check out
www.fisherhouse.org
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:10 AM

I wish I thought they were applauding because they were coming HOME.

Yes, a wonderful story but I still wish it didn't have to be told in the first place.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:51 AM

I think Micheal has it right. The Nazi's applauded their soldiers too. Let me be perfectly clear...I am NOT saying our army is on the same level as the Nazi's but the point has to be acknowledge that if we are doing something wrong in Iraq it is the soldiers who are doing something wrong also. Personally I think this whole ribbon on our cars thing, the whole"support the troops" is more Bush/Cheny double speak to take the attention away from the failed and flawed policy. I feel sorry for our young people we have sent over there. They are pawns in a game. But there does come a point where wrong is wrong and a person has the ability to stand up and say it is wrong. You don't shelve that right or that duty just because you put the uniform on.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 03:19 AM

Even the generals look like kids from my perspective.
M
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I have seen this happen a few times, Starrsville, and it is very moving. Thank you for sharing.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:07 AM
JJ5

Not all people applaud their military. My first husband was spit on and worse within hours of getting off the plane in 1967. It killed him far more than the army or USA military directives ever did. I promised him never to forget what my generation did to so many of their own.

I appreciate all those who do as starrsville witnessed. Thank You.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:49 AM
P_M

JJ5, what happened to your husband and so many Vietnam vets was a disgrace. I would like to belive we have learned an important lesson since then. Whether we agree with this war or not, all soldiers deserve our respect and support.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

I thought about Vietnam soldiers yesterday. It was such a shame that the soldiers weren't celebrated for their service to their country.

I think it is important to many of us who do not agree with this administration's handling of Iraq that the soldiers following orders don't feel the same way as Vietnam vets. I think that's the unspoken (at least verbally) message behind the applause yesterday.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Same time, P M. Great minds....!!!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Applause is easy. Putting up a "We Support the Troops" sign on the front lawn is easy.
How about sitting down and writing letters to your congressmen, asking them to take better care of our soldiers and their families. They should not be returning home to lost jobs and lost houses. And they should not be sent back to that mess four and five times. All the applause in the world isn't going to make up for these shortcomings. Greatest nation in the world? Let's start proving it again.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:05 AM

A heart warming story when so many sad stories come out of the war. We may not agree with the war but these soldiers are there for us and we need to show appreciation for them. Thank You to all who serve our country.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM

>>>>>>
Every country probably applauds its own soldiers:
>>>>>>

no, here in britain, we do not. even at xmas time, there were no signs, no news stories about soldiers being away from home, and no other types of acknowledgements. even in military towns, you will see no, or very few signs in businesses, etc.

i'm making no judgements on what is right or wrong nor am i making any comment on the war. just to say that you should not assume that this scene would happen anywhere, as it is very unlikely that it would happen here.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Artman and Tracy: I couldn't disagree with you more (respectfully)-- >>But there does come a point where wrong is wrong and a person has the ability to stand up and say it is wrong. You don't shelve that right or that duty just because you put the uniform on.<<

That assumes the person in uniform believes he or she is doing something wrong. Because YOU believe that doesn't mean THEY believe it. We have an all-volunteer army. That means it's safe to assume the members believe in their mission. BTW, I disagree with the Iraq war, but still think you're wrong.

As for the Nazi comment, you confuse a political party with the military and show a lack of knowledge. Many, if not most, members of the German military were not members of the Nazi Party. Your comparison simply doesn't work.
Tracy: Your comments would lead one to believe that applauding soldiers AND writing letters of protest to your congressman are mutually exclusive and can't both be done. I don't care if applauding is easy; so is saying "thank you" and it still should be done.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I am not very political... so excuse my poor articulation.
All I can say is that my husband retired from the Army as did his father before him. My son is now in Afghanistan and can't wait to get home. He has also served 2 tours in Iraq, 1 in Korea. I think many of the soldiers are torn, too. Most join to serve and protect the freedom we all enjoy.
My son is highly trained, speaks several (highly desirable) languages and is very dedicated. He feels Iraq is a lost cause, like Vietnam. He wants out, after nearly 10 years and a very aggressive, successful career.
WE want him out.
We are very patriotic and our hearts go out to these soldiers.
We don't know how to fix all our problems... and we don't think anyone has a good plan to protect us from the crazies out there.
Not the Republicans, not the Democrats, no one.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:00 PM

This thread has become disgraceful! I think it is wonderful that the crowd in Atlanta applauded the soldiers. They are making an incredible sacrifice for us!
It doesn't matter how other countries look at us- it matters how we view ourselves. And if they don't like us, then they shouldn't come crying to us when they have a disaster and need money.
I am proud of my country and proud of our soldiers, including my brother who is serving his third tour with the Army.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -