Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Apartment Suggestions near Downtown Pittsburgh? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/apartment-suggestions-near-downtown-pittsburgh-167150/)

Betsy Mar 4th, 2002 08:37 AM

Apartment Suggestions near Downtown Pittsburgh?

I am currently living in Georgia. My friend and I are wanting to relocate to Pittsburgh. We have come across several apartments near or in downtown, but not sure about the area and such. If you know of any apartments that are nice and reasonably priced close, really close to downtown, please, I would love the suggestions.

anon Mar 4th, 2002 11:43 AM

what does this have to do with travel? yoou need to find a real estate agent.

x Mar 4th, 2002 04:15 PM

are you the ones who posted about the schoolhouse apts?.....how much are you willing to pay is the answer...there is Mt.Washington..an incline away from downtown...the North Hills,Greentree,Crafton...etc.--where will you be working/going to school and do you have a car?....that`s important.....

Betsy Mar 4th, 2002 05:19 PM

We will be working in Downtown. Right in the heart of downtown. My Dad's girlfriend posted the ad about the School House. I really like those apts, and they have CCTV and fenced in parking garage. I just am worried about what some people wrote about the crime and stuff?<BR><BR>As for the person who asked what this has to do with travel? I was just asking a question, excuse me...<BR><BR>Thank you to all of the people that have shared there knowledge of the area.

Jodi Jelovich Mar 4th, 2002 05:23 PM

Besty, Alot of people seem to be fond of the South Hills area because of the "T". It is a train type subway thing and makes several stops downtown. I would suggest areas like Dormont, Bethal Park. Anywhere in that general area is serviced by the "T".

Stephanie P. Mar 5th, 2002 12:46 AM

Betsy:<BR><BR>The School House has high ceilings and the gas bill would be high. I'd suggest Squirrel Hill (predominantly Jewish neighborhood - but safe), Regent Square, Shadyside or North Oakland. I you live in Shadyside, North Oakland or Squirrel Hill you would have around 5-6+ buses available to you to catch to downtown. These are residential areas but yet only a few miles to the city. South Hills is extremely overcrowded as are their subways. Take your time to find something permanent and reasonable, look around. You could also go to Bloomfield, a more Italian neighborhood, that is more affordable. I went apt. hunting there and could rent a whole house for $450+G&E. The place was big and centrally located.

Pittsburgher Mar 5th, 2002 05:10 AM

Downtown is iffy. Not really dangerous, but not safe either. Personally, I would never consider living there.<BR><BR>Squirrel Hill is hardly safe. Crime is high. Much of the Jewish middle class has moved out and it is quickly becoming at student ghetto for CMU. <BR><BR>Shadyside is not exactly safe, either and is expensive. Oakland is very dangerous. Don't even consider it.<BR><BR>South Hills is a horrible trek. The transit line is very, very slow and traffic is very bad into the city. If you are single, there is no social life at all down there.<BR><BR>In town, the South Side is probably best. Safe and convenient to downtown. It has some nightlife and atmosphere.<BR><BR>Also, be aware that if you live if the city, you will have to pay the outrageous city payroll tax. Pittsburgh has shrunk to almost nothing because people are fleeing town to avoid the tax. The best places to live are just outside the city limits in places like Edgewood or Brentwood. They are quite boring, though.

x Mar 5th, 2002 10:41 AM

South Side s very expensive...the South Hills will be a nightmare to drive into town from.closing the bridge out of town.the North hills is probably your best bet...unless you can afford the Mt.Washington/Granview ave. area... have you seen the Schoolhouse apts in person?....not much from the outside.and they do have parking fenced..it is a bad neighborhood...very rundown..have seen it many times...mostly brownstone type rundown houses around....Forest Hills is a trek in am traffic....even on the bus...always an accident in the Squirell Hill tunnels....traffic is probably the best to come in from the North...no real action downtown...roll the streets up at 5....lots of other place for entertainment in the burbs...and Station Sq. and South side...SS has been over run be college kids and jacked up prices for no value..Cranberry Twp. might be an option:about 20 minutes travel time...I still think the North Hills are good..and close...I know there are new apts in Perrysville..but I know you`ll be like my 2 kids and do what you want....just be careful and safe...where are the other apts you have in mind...maybe we can say if safe or not....

Stephanie P. Mar 5th, 2002 11:24 AM

Pittsburgher:<BR><BR>I lived in Squirrel Hill for 6 years (1996-2001) and there are plenty of Jewish people still left. The CMU students are not dangerous. I have never been attacked while living in this neighborhood. I now live west of the city (since 12/15/01). South Side is OK, not so clean though and it is run down and overpriced for what you get. I'd also try Edgewood which might be out of City of Pittsburgh wage tax zone.

Pittsburgher Mar 9th, 2002 05:28 AM

Don't believe that Squirrel isn't a crime area. I lived there one year. My car was stolen and my next door neighbor's house was burgled - while she was home! It's not Oakland or anything, but it's iffy.<BR><BR>The crack about the CMU students was stupid. Crime is up because it's drifting in from Homewood, Oakland and East Liberty.<BR><BR><BR>