Apartment rents in Los Angeles area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Son hopes to get job in Los Angeles after completing animation degree. While I realize LA is huge geographic area with rents with an equally large range, can someone give me a general idea how much a basic small apartment (such as studio) in at least marginally safe area might be.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You are correct in your question, that Los Angeles is huge, and the answer depends entirely on your neighborhood. I'd toss out ~$1000 as a ballpark figure. "maginally safe" has a whole lot of leeway.

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
lvk

In addition to a safe area, the other major factor to consider is commuting time.

I may be wrong, but I'm assuming that most animation jobs are probably at the studios or with video game developers, most of which are concentrated in or near the San Fernando Valley, and the Westside. (I know EA is in Playa Vista and Activision is in Santa Monica)

You can do a few guest searches in these areas on www.westsiderentals.com to get a general idea.

The safety factor can vary within a few blocks. His best bet would be to get a monthly rate at an extended stay place, then explore the various neighborhoods before locking into a lease.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM

I agree with the post above....safe neighborhoods are sprinkled in between not-so-safe ones. As for an average rental range it can be anywhere from 1000-1700/mo for a studio anywhere in the LA area. The factors for such a large range are LOCATION, size and location

Hillary
www.edufire.com
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I realize my question is larely unanswerable without knowing more specifically a location. Numbers given were within ballpark that I expected - we are used to amounts that high being from Boston area.

As far as marginally safe - he has spent last 4 years in really, really dangerous area of Savannah (think gangs on street corners and audible gunshots with terrifying frequency) so at least he has some street smarts.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM

I'd agree that the location of the job should determine the location of the apartment.

Just this week, I drove past the Sony Studios and it's in Culver City, which is slightly south of the other major studios in Santa Monica. Culver City is pretty safe and the rents there are a bit lower than in Santa Monica. I'd guesstimate about $1,200 for a nice, basic studio.

But he could find a job down in Anaheim or up in the San Fernando Valley. The commute is horrendous and the amount of money he saves with a cheaper apartment somewhere far could easily be swallowed up in gas money commuting.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM

Get the job first. There will be a marginally safe area nearby no matter where he lands.

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
yk

I'd say the rent in LA isn't that much different than in Boston; perhaps a tad lower.

My brother was just apt hunting a few weeks ago. I think he is paying $1600 for a small 1BR. What he found was between $1400-$1900 for a decent sized large studio or small 1BR.

This is in the Wilshire area between downtown LA and UCLA.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree. Wait and see where he will be working. No sense driving from one side of LA to the other! Since he's brand new to the city, might as well live close to work.

Rent by the week or month at first and look around once he starts working.