Anza Borrego What are the Must See and Do's?

Feb 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Anza Borrego What are the Must See and Do's?

We have reservations in Borrego Springs, CA for early March so we can explore Anza Borrego State Park for 7 days during what is suppose to be the peak wildflower season and I can't wait!

We will have our 4 x 4 Jeep Liberty to go exploring and we like to go off road, but don't want to beat up the vehicle on roads that we shouldn't be on. We like easy to moderate, short hikes but can handle up to 3 miles (round trip). I love to take pictures, scenic drives and wildlife....but maybe not snakes so much! Also thinking about taking a day trip to Salton Sea.

Where is the best places to find wildflowers? What are your favorite places to visit? What shouldn't we miss while we are there? What dirt roads can the Jeep Liberty handle?

Last question, does anyone by chance have Verizon Wireless and know if you can get broadband via an aircard in Borrego Springs? The Verizon Map says there should be service, but looking for first hand information because while the maps are pretty good, they aren't always right.

Thanks in advance,

Utahtea
Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM

The place to get the most current flower information is at the Anza Borrego Vistors Center in town. It also will have lots of info for hikes, trail drives etc. I would start there. Palm canyon in the state park is well worth the hike. There has been a lot of rain this year so the water so be following and I did read a report that the water falls are going too. But don't expect huge falls. Don't miss Fonts Point, easy drive for your jeep and overlooks the borrego badlands. another interesting place are the mud caves. Google mudcaves and borrego and you should find out how to get there. there is about 20 minutes off road to reach them. the paved road to them is about 50 minutes from borrego.
There are pre historic animal sculputures all over townt that you should spend some time seeing. it's a privately funded project by a local resident.
If you run out of things to do in Borrego you could drive up to Julian, it's about 30 minutes up in the mountains and and old gold mining town.
I can't answer the verizon wireless aircard question but i do have friends with houses down there and they do send emails, but i do not know there provider.
Probably too early for snakes as it hasn't been super hot yet.
Feb 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks joeyi, Unfortunately I came down with a bad cold and we decided to cancel the trip Maybe next year.

Utahtea
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:13 AM

hope you get well soon. We're going down next weekend so hopefully the flowers will be going off then.
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

joeyi,

Please report back and tell me what I missed!

Utahtea
Mar 7th, 2010, 04:51 AM

It was another rainy weekend and we both got sick so we didn't go. now planning to go in the middle of march for 2 days and then on to joshua tree. will report back then.
i have heard from a friend who has a home there that the flowers are not yet in full bloom since it's been cool and wet. hoping by the time we go there will be some nice blooms.
Mar 7th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Here's a handy website to track wildflowers

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html
Mar 7th, 2010, 07:34 AM

You can take a side trip to Salvation Mountain where you can talk to Leonard, the man from the movie, Into the Wild.
Big Horn Sheep are a sight to see if you ever can find them.
It should be spectacular this year for the wildflowers.
Julian and Palm Springs area are close by for a lunch.
We used to go to a natural hot springs with lots of palm trees naturally built into the rugged mountains.
Have fun and report back!

www.salvationmountain.us

http://www.totalescape.com/active/le...acaliente.html
Mar 8th, 2010, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the link to Salvation Mountain. We were planning to go that way around the salton sea so I will have to remember to add that to our itinerary.

In borrego we are going to take a off road tour with http://californiaoverland.com/

We did a tour with them last year and they are a really great company to go with.