Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anything Tulsa.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anything-tulsa-548354/)

millsy5 Aug 1st, 2005 09:02 AM

Anything Tulsa....

Hi. My firstborn is going to Univ. of Tulsa as a freshman in two weeks. Any good advice as to lodging, dining out, sights to see, shopping,etc. for the next four years?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Jocelyn_P Aug 1st, 2005 09:31 AM

Hi millsy,

I moved to Tulsa about a year and a half ago from San Diego and I absolutely love it here!

I'm assuming you're asking these questions for yourself as opposed to your son. Obviously the answers would be quite different~

What is your price range for lodging? Some of the higher end places are the Ambassador Hotel and McBirney Mansion, a B&B in historic midtown.

There are some decent museums here. The Gilcrease (Western/Native American) and the Philbrook (European art) are the most popular. The gardens outside Philbrook are spectacular, as is the adjacent Woodward Park.

Shopping? Utica Square. It's a village-like shopping center with lots of high-end shops, including a Saks. I think the website is www.uticasquare.com

I'm still compiling my list of favorite restaurants. I really like Stonehorse Cafe in Utica Square, although some of their entrees can be a little salty for my taste. I've seen actress/model Amber Valletta there.

Wild Fork, also in Utica Square, is good, too.

For Italian, I like Ciao and Biga, both in the trendy Brookside neighborhood. There's a good selection of restaurants in Brookside, from sushi to tapas to steak. Harrison Ford's son just opened a new restaurant there. I also like Garlic Rose in Brookside.

There are lots of upscale steakhouses in town, including Fleming's, Mahogany's, Monte's, and Polo Grill. Go to Elmer's for barbeque.

There's a cool little wine bar on 18th and Boston called something like Vintage 1780.

I hope you and your son enjoy Tulsa!

millsy5 Aug 2nd, 2005 07:51 AM

Thanks so much for all the great info. It is actually my daughter who is attending Tulsa and she will love the shopping it sounds like!!!! I can't wait to visit all the neat places you shared. Thanks again, Millsy5

Jocelyn_P Aug 2nd, 2005 08:46 AM

Oops, I don't know how I read "son" in your message. You *girls* will have a great time.

missypie Aug 2nd, 2005 09:05 AM

I've been wanting to stay in the Frank Lloyd Wright Building in Bartlesville that has been turned into a hotel, but we're never in that neck of the woods.

MzPossum Aug 2nd, 2005 10:54 AM

She will love Tulsa. Queenies (I hope it's still there) in Utica Square is a great breakfast/ lunch spot. For more middle of the road dining, there is Hideaway Pizza in the Cherry St. area--best pizza in the state! Cherry ST. is, if I remember correctly, 15th street and has lot of antique shops and little boutiques. Braums for excellent ice cream and hamburgers. The Brook in Brookside--Brookside itself has lots of shops and restaurants. Java Daves for coffee shops. Abuelos Mexican restaurant--lots of new shopping areas in the south side of town off highway 169. The southern suburb of Jenks has lots of antique shops. And I think Bartlesville still has the Mozart Festival in June.