Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anything like Virgin Gorda's Mahoe Bay in Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anything-like-virgin-gordas-mahoe-bay-in-hawaii-826219/)

RoamsAround Feb 12th, 2010 09:36 AM

Anything like Virgin Gorda's Mahoe Bay in Hawaii

I’m a regular contributor on the Caribbean forum and hope some of the Hawaiian experts on the US forum might be able to offer some suggestions.

We are a 20 member three generational family seeking a beach oriented vacation/get-together. The family consists of 2 active senior couples (a brother and sister and their spouses) in their mid-to-late 60’s, 5 adult couples in their late 30’s and early 40’s and 6 grandchildren ranging in age from 2 to 13. Both senior couples have traveled extensively around the world and everyone else has been to the Caribbean a few times either on a cruise or land based vacation as the “guests” of their respective parents/grandparents. Because they are busy earning a living and raising their families the 2nd generation adult couples and their children do not get to the opportunity to travel very often on their own. The “senior couples” would like to take the younger generations somewhere they wouldn’t be able to otherwise go or afford on their own.

We are looking for a beach oriented vacation and currently thinking of renting two villas on Virgin Gorda’s Mahoe Bay, however, one of the senior couples and 2 of the adult couples have vacationed there before about 12 years ago. While that destination seems ideal (i.e. nice calm water beach for the grandchildren, access to off-beach snorkeling, available sailing and water sports for the adults, hiking for all, local attractions to visit and the availability of two multi-bedroom villas within close proximity to each other we would prefer a destination none of the second and third generation have been to before.

So that brings up my question – does anyone know if there are any “rental villa communities” similar to Mahoe Bay on any of the Hawaiian islands (other than Oahu)? So far in my research I’ve located a number of condos and cluster housing rental units but we’d prefer something move private. We’d like everyone to be in close proximity to each other as the purpose of the get-together is so that the adult children and grandchildren can spend lots of quality time together as they don’t get to see each other very often.

We are hoping that the villas will have enough bedrooms so that each adult couple can have king-size beds and there are enough single beds for the grandchildren. We are “open” as far as the weekly rental is concerned and are currently looking at places in the range of $12,000 to $16,000 per villa per week.

wbpiii Feb 12th, 2010 10:07 AM

Roams, I do not know of any villas that match your needs but that does not mean that there aren't any.

I do have a suggestion that might work. Take a look at Kona Village Resort on the Island of Hawaii. There are approximately 130 Hales (individual bungalows) in a beautiful garden oasis. The resort is all inclusive so food, and many beach toys such as snorkel equipment, kayaks and boogie boards are included. There are a few family hales with multiple (parent child) sleeping arrangements. With a group your size, there is no doubt that you could get a special rate. The bay that fronts the resort is pristine and very private. Lots of snorkeling possibilities. The food is great.

When would you be going and how long?

Here's a link: http://www.konavillage.com/

If you have questions you can email me a wbpiii at hotmail dot com

RoamsAround Feb 12th, 2010 11:28 AM

Thanks, good idea.

Sorry, going in July 2011 and planning at least a week's stay, not including travel days. May possibly do 10 days.

iamq Feb 12th, 2010 06:08 PM

There really is nothing like Mahoe Bay in Hawaii. Hawaii's beaches, reefs, homes and communities are completely different.

A beach that is similar in some ways is Mauna Kea on the the Big Island. The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel front the beach, but there are luxury villas sprinkled all over the adjacent hillsides and golf courses (another thing you won't find on VG). Properties have access to the beach, but not like at Mahoe where you can walk a few feet or walk a few minutes.

I'd look at the beachfront homes in the town of Hanalei on the north shore of Kauai. No private pools like Mahoe.
kauaivacationrentals.com has several listings

Another option would be the Coconut Grove condos on the beach in Kapalua on Maui. Very high end, but similar to Mahoe as it is a very private community on a great beach with good snorkeling. They are condos and don't have a private pool. They are mostly three bedroom units.

Makena Surf condos on Maui would be another place to look. The beaches here are lovely and there is good to excellent snorkeling close to shore.

Something else to keep in mind is that unlike July in Virgin Gorda, July in Hawaii is high season and you will be paying top dollar to be beachfront on any island.

Hope this helps.

iamq Feb 12th, 2010 06:35 PM

I wanted to add that we stayed at Adagio Villa at Mahoe last June and loved it.

RoamsAround Feb 13th, 2010 03:25 AM

iamq - thanks for your comments. I wasn't finding anything quite like Mahoe and you confirmed my suspicions. I'll check out the places you suggested.

We do know July is High Season and understand the pricing structures.

It's difficult finding someplace that can accomodate our size group, offers some bit of privacy and has a place for the adults to gather in the evenings for conversation and games while the children/grandchildren are sleeping nearby.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far, I'm sure we'll be able to find something.

iamq Feb 13th, 2010 06:32 AM

This site might be of interest.

http://www.mokuhale.com/listings.html

mumpsimus Feb 17th, 2010 02:43 PM

Roams, i have to second wbpiii's suggestion (because I'm a devoted fan of Kona Village). To help you decide if it's the place for you, take a look at my website: www.davidskvr.net. With 266 pictures and five video clips, you'll get a very accurate picture of the village and what it offers. As Bill says, with a group that large you can get a pretty good price, and with all food, etc. included it might work very well for you.
David

louistraveler5 Feb 20th, 2010 07:12 PM

Here is a link for the island of Kauai: http://www.parrishkauai.com/

Most of the homes/villas are located on the south shore in Poipu. This would be a good location with kids since the waters are calm at Poipu Beach. Kauai is my favorite Hawaiian island! Good luck with your search!