Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone take the Key West Ferry from Fort Myers. Stay at Courtney Place in Key West?????? Help

Search

Anyone take the Key West Ferry from Fort Myers. Stay at Courtney Place in Key West?????? Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about taking the Ferry from Fort Myers to Key West and staying at Courtney Place In Key West. Looks nice from what I can see. Will be with 3 people in their 70's so don't want to stay at a place with a lot of hoopla!
Any suggestions would be great--Thanks
Sandy
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Are ;you wondering about the ferry or the Courtney? I've heard the ferry is a bit rough and tumble but it will get you there just the same.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Warning.

The ferry will not run when the seas are rough. This happened to me & ended up having to rent a car and make the Lonngggg drive.

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM

I have taken the Fort Myers to Key West ferry twice now and have had no problems. It was a very nice trip. I would suggest taking a motion sickness medicine whether you think you need it or not. Just in case.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:46 AM

I took the ferry round-trip last Memorial Day Weekend, and it was great. Smooth sailing.

Tip: Get there early if you want a seat indoors in the air-conditioned areas. The ferry gets crowded fast, and people end up sitting outside in the heat & wind.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM

When we took the ferry back from KW, there seemed to be a number of folks who were still in the party mood on the way home. (They were pretty darn drunk!) We didn't relish being on the road with them so we waited in the parking lot for a while before we headed home. Other than that, it was a great trip. Wildly fast after having sailed down there at 4-6 kts!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM

I have never taken the Ferry but I have stayed at Courtney' Place. It does not have much hoopla. It was very quiet. The pool did not get much sun during the day. It was very small and shaded.We were allowed to use the pool at The Reach Resort. But it was a long walk and very crowded.
I may stay at Courney's again but it would not be my first choice.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Neopolitan

Worse than the possibility of planning to take the ferry, then ending up having the trip down cancelled due to weather or rough seas, is the possibility that they will take you there and then cancel your trip back. Since you're staying overnight, it may not be an issue, because you would know on your departure morning if the ferry was coming down and if you'd be able to go back on it that day. Otherwise you'd need to rent a car to return or fly back.