Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Anyone Stayed at the Disney Grand Californian?

Anyone Stayed at the Disney Grand Californian?

Apr 4th, 2002, 10:57 AM
jan

Anyone Stayed at the Disney Grand Californian?

I see that room rates are quite high, and am wondering if the hotel and its rooms are special enough to make it worth the splurge...
thanks for your input,
jan

May 5th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Laura

Absolutely! We wanted to take our son to Disneyland, and just get away for a night. The hotel is really gorgeous -- it's a craftsman paradise. And the rooms are spacious and stylish and comfortable. We booked a room with concierge service, so we had access to a concierge lounge - offering bottled water, milk, sodas, snacks - all for free, all day and evening. At 8:30pm they offered a "bedtime story" for the little ones - where they were invited to come in their night clothes to hear stories while enjoying cookies and milk. That was adorable. Before that they offered a wine and cheese 'reception ' - where they set out a spread of fresh veggies and dip, cheeses and crackers, smoked salmon roll-ups, lemonade, sodas etc. This was great for all of us, coming back hungry from a few hours at the park -- which is literally just around the corner from the hotel (although you can't hear it). Food at the park is laughably expensive - so free snacks in a beautiful setting was fabulous. The lounge itself is lovely. The lobby is just out of this world beautiful -- it's 6 stories tall, and centers around a massive stone firenook. They have craftsman style/Stickley furniture - including scaled down, child size rocking chairs. My son loved that. There are 2 pools, both great - although when we were there the water slide was closed. The service was outstanding. And there are so many places to see within walking distance. Right outside the hotel is Disney Drive - where there are loads of stores - not all Disney - and restaurants, like the Rainforest Cafe.
I think it's absolutely worth the money. With an auto club discount our room was about $275. It's definately a splurge, but I think they make it worth while with all the perks.

Search this Thread