Anyone stayed at Kapaa Sands in Kauai?

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Anyone stayed at Kapaa Sands in Kauai?

Has anyone stayed at the Kapaa Sands in Kaui? Opinions please. Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:46 PM
DB

><
No, but there are a couple good reviews at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ai_Hawaii.html

http://www.kapaasands.com/
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DB. I am still looking for a little more detail about the hotel itself. Is it clean? How are the grounds? Any restaurants nearby?
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:27 PM

I've stayed there several times, most recently in 2002. As you can tell from the fact that I'm a repeater, I like it. Advantages: it's right across the street from a number of good restaurants popular with the locals, and a short walk to Coconut Place if you need a tourist trap fix. It's a condo, so you have a kitchen, etc. if you want to do your own cooking, and you'll find a mix there of residents and visitors. It's right on a picturesque little beach (be sure to get an oceanFRONT, not oceanview, unit). The staff is friendly and helpful. Kapaa is centrally located, so a relatively easy drive to both the north and south shores. The units are clean. The price is reasonable. The disadvantages: the units are starting to show some age. the bathrooms are small (at least in the efficiencies). no A/C (although I never found that to matter). The beach is nice, but not usually swimmable (bad currents). Tho' in the winter, there's some decent surfing there. The pool is smallish. Some people don't like Kapaa--it gets congested at rush hour (hey, it's where a lot of residents live) and it doesn't have the luxury of the Princeville or Poipu resorts. It's rainier than Poipu, but nowhere near as rainy as Princeville (but the rains tend to be short in duration). On balance, I find it worthwhile, but it will all depend on what you are looking for in a place to stay.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM

We stayed near Kapaa last winter (at the Wailua Bayview), and found the area to be simply too congested. Traffic bad at certain times of day, just didn't leave much of that feel you aim for while on vacation. However, you are close to many things and easily can go to the north end or south end of Kauai conveniently. The section of road last year between Kapaa and Lihue during rush hour was really bad, though.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:43 PM

I think the above 2 posters said it all. If you want value and a condo, Kapaa Sands is a good value. The down side of anything in Kapaa is that you give up some peace and quiet and, I believe, that tropical Hawaiian feel, for close accessibility to shops and restaurants. If that is ok with you, and you don't mind fighting the traffic back-ups at certain times of the day, you may be happy there.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks crys. I just made my reservation for an oceanfront studio with a murphy bed at Kapaa Sands. Didn't like the idea of twin beds put together. Sounded uncomforatable although the management said they've never had a complaint. Lack of A/C should not be a problem with the ocean so close to our front door. We stay at a similar type of condo on Maui. We prefer the low key condo life to the big hotel luxury vacation (besides, it's cheaper!). Thanks again for all of your input.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:17 PM
iceeu2

kat, i would think the 2 twins put together (make a king) would be more comfortable than a murphy bed...but, each to his own.
As far as Kapaa, we liked the location a great deal.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:03 PM

I've stayed in studios with the murphy bed, and with the "queen" made up of 2 twins. I found the murphy bed more comfortable, oddly enough, and it was nice to be able to fold it up and have a full living room until ready for bed. And, yes, if you prefer this kind of setting, you'll love it (I, for one, like to pretend I actually live in kauai, and a condo helps build the fantasy).
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

crys: Thanks for letting me know about the Murphy bed.

Funny, we have the same fantasy while in Maui! Some people say "how can you stand to cook on your vacation?" but when you are standing at a bbq at sunset right on the water--it is totally relaxing and enjoyable!