Anyone stay at the Westin Maui lately?

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:45 AM
Mark

Anyone stay at the Westin Maui lately?

I'll be going to Maui this Summer with my wife and 11 year old. I'm booked to stay at the Four Seasons, but as a Starwood member, I just learned of a points/cash deal at the Westin-$60 + points per night. Needless to say, points aside, its a savings of minimum $300 per night. Would you do it? For half the stay maybe (I'm staying 6 nights)? Is the location of the Westin good? Is the FS that more posh as to justify the extra cash (I'm not rich). Thanks for any thoughts.
Mark

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:01 AM
larry

I haven't been to the Westin, but have stayed at the FS. The FS is a terrific place and very posh. FS Wailea has a great beach area and the food and service can't be topped. That being said, I would stay at the Westin. The FS has very small pool areas and when I stayed there last month, there was not enough space in the main pool for all of the kids. Your daughter will be much happier with the Westin's fantasy pool. If you still want to stay in Wailea, the Grand Wailea and the Kea Lani (in the same price category as the FS), with their multilevel fantasy pools, are better choices for families with kids.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:51 AM
dave

hmmmm.. $300 per day could by a lot of very good mai tai's and quite a dinner splurge. Do the Westin, and drive to the Four Seasons to soak in the ambiance and then drive back to Kaanapali and live it up on the saved cash!

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:37 AM
Jerry

Mark, I think the FS is for people who can afford the $$ and people there on special trips (honeymoon, anniv, retirement, etc).
Personally I think if you have to scrimp and pinch to be there you will NOT feel like it's worth it.
I speak partly from experience. Early in my career when I couldn't afford those places I occasionally pushed my credit card and went anyway. I was constantly assessing whether I was "getting my money's worth" while there and only felt guilty afterward.
Now that cost isn't an issue and I can simply go and enjoy it without the inventorying, I actually find it's more pleasurable.
I'd stay at the Westin, feel like you're getting your money's worth, and spend the extra $$ you've saved on meals and activities.

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:45 PM
e

Your 11 yr old will like the Westin better.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:05 AM
Tom

Mark, I think both YOU and your daughter will like the Kea Lani or Grand Wailea much better in Wailea, despite the cost! In this economy I'm sure you can strike up some kind of good deal for the least expensive garden view room! Quite frankly, I wouldn't spend even $100 per night for the Westin as the rooms are quite small and VERY disappointing!!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:19 AM
e

The Westin cannot be beat for that price. And believe me, it will be fine.We're staying there ourselves in June, and this is our third time.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:43 PM
John

The Westin has gone so far down hill as far as service goes. You wait and wait and wait for everything. You wait a long time for housekeeping to do your room, you wait a long time for your food and you wait a long time for service at the pool. The problem is that Starwood has cut back on personnel. They have closed most of the restaurants. They have two open now when they used to have four. That disaster they call Tropica is not that great. When we were there they had a two for one special but if they didn't have that the prices would have been way too high for what you get. You could go to Spats at the Hyatt for the prces they charge without the two for one. If you want a cocktail you must either sit at Ono's which attracts a young crowd or you must go to Tropica where the music is blaring. There is nowhere to just sit and just be. It's always very noisy and VERY crowded. If you don't lay claim to your pool lounger by 7:00 am you most likely will not get one. You must fight with management to make sure that housekeeping has your room clean before 4:00 PM. I feel so frenzied at the Westin. We are going to Wailea when we re-visit in the fall. We used to love the Westin, but our recent experiences there have not been good ones. If you don't mind the craziness and if not having any peace and quiet don't bother you, then it's the place for you.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
x

John when did you go there? This does not sound very good.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:07 PM
HarryR

Satyed at the Westin in January and found it to be fine. Very nice pool are and the room was great. Think you would find it would be a good choice.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
John

The last time I was there was December. I truly would not knock the place if any of what I said was not true. We even went down to the Sheraton and up to the Kapalua bay hotel for the day some days just to get some peace and quiet. It used to be a lot calmer there but now they have these specials going on for ridiculously low prices to draw in people for their timeshare sales that are going on. For something like $500 for a five night stay they draw people in and stick them in the terrace view rooms so the place is always jam packed. Those of us who pay a lot more for the better rooms have to suffer in service for the people who come in droves for these special offers. They try to pressure you into their timeshare presentation which is very agressive and insultingly like a used car salesman using any pitch he can to get you to buy. The staff is nice but they are just so shorthanded. There is only so much they can do. Hope this helps.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:10 PM
Tom

Just came back from the Westin in April and had a great time! $60. a night is a bargin!!! I paid $225. a night and was very satisfied! The Westin has great pools, tropical atmosphere with birds and flamingos, walking distance to Whalers Village with shopping and restaurants. I stayed at the Four Seasons last year and enjoyed that very much also, but for the price savings I would jump at the Westin and would not look back! Make sure they give you a room with a nice view, and if you are are not satisfied speak up! With the money you save you can put it towards another trip to Maui next year!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:57 PM
Frank

We stayed at the Westin in late Sept '00 and in Aug '01. We loved it both times and are planning to go again. The rooms are ok, I've been in a lot nicer, but to us, they were more than adequate for our needs, which are to sleep and shower. I thought the staff was great, the pool fantastic, and the location on Kaanapali beach is to die for. I can't comment on the restaurants bacause we just had breakfast, which was very good, and hit the sushi bar in the evening. We ate elsewhere, by choice, each evening.
Frank

Old May 4th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Lynda

What a deal - can't beat that price - and with all to do in Whaler's Village you will not lack for fun! Have a Mai Tai for me in the bar - I used to work there! And do drive the Island - eat at Mama's Fish House - and Cheeseburgers in Paradise! And have another Mai Tai for me! Aloha!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 09:19 AM
ll

We stayed at the Wetin on our honeymoon (may '01) and Loved it! However, we had a room in the Beach Tower where the rooms are 30-40% larger than the ones in the ocean tower. Make sure you request this- we saw both rooms and there is a HUGE difference. The Smaller tower rooms do not even have closets (just armoires) and the bath/sink area is very small and there is no where to put your things. We found out that is used to be 2 separate hotels in each tower and Westin bought both. Both have all the different room categoris, too. We found the service to be great - we only ate some breakfasts and lunched (ono's) at the hotel. The Whaler's Village is right next door and there are lots of restaurants for lunch/casual dinner there. We went out for nice dinners as we like to explore and leave the hotel at night. The Pool area is the Best I have ever seen (we live in FLA) Definitely stat at the Westin for that savings AND I'm sure you and your 11 yr. old will love it!