Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anyone stay at Olivia by Duval in Key West? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anyone-stay-at-olivia-by-duval-in-key-west-193308/)

Judi Apr 7th, 2002 07:06 AM

Anyone stay at Olivia by Duval in Key West?

I tried the Jasmine House but it was booked and the owner suggested Olivia by Duval apparently her aunt owns it. Anyone stay there? How is the location?

dkjl Apr 7th, 2002 08:08 AM

If a relative is pushing it and no one has heard of it, do something else. There are too many great recommendations on this board for great places to stay to choose something you have never heard of.

d Apr 7th, 2002 10:32 AM

Checked out the website and it looks fine!<BR><BR>http://oldtownsuites.com/oliviabyduval/

Owen O'Neill Apr 8th, 2002 05:44 AM

If my guesthouse was full and my relative owned one I'd certainbly recommend it - the fact that she was upfron about the connection is a positive thing. Also, Olivia by Duval has been there for many years and I've never read any negative comments in this forum about it (I visit here regulalry and read all the KW postings that I spot). I stayed at Jasmine House and asked for a snorkel trip recommendation. The proprietor Linda recommended Restless Native but also made it a point to tell us upfront that the owners were personal friends of hers. It was not cheap but was a great experience and well worth the price (very small groups). Since then I have stayed at Jasmine House again and also used the snorkel service again. I'd do a bit more research but wouldn't rule it out until you know a bit more.

xxx Apr 8th, 2002 06:34 AM

We really like The Conch House. It is very nice and reasonable. It is still close to everything without being in the middle of it. We also looked at La Pensione which is very close to The Conch House and thought it also looked nice.

lh Apr 10th, 2002 11:29 AM

Have you obtained any more information about Olivia?

Judi Apr 10th, 2002 12:03 PM

I checked with them and they have a cottage available with kitchen facilities for $129 a night. Not a bad price. I am leery of staying there because I haven't gotten any recommendations plus I am not sure of the location. We are traveling with our young daughter and have found a lot of b&b's in KW don't let children in. <BR><BR>Owen-If you are there is this location ok? Is it close to Bahamma Village? TIA

susan Apr 10th, 2002 12:12 PM

I don't know anything about this place either, but I just checked it on a map and it's on the opposite side of Duval from Bahama Village, so location shouldn't be a problem.

grglnswsh Apr 10th, 2002 12:16 PM

I know of the place but have never heard anything about it. The location is fine. Yes there are many B&Bs that dont accept kids but look at Island City House on William Street under keywest.com. They are a very popular choice for families who dont want to stay in a large hotel/motel.

George Apr 10th, 2002 12:23 PM

If memory serves (and that's occasionally a doubtful proposition,) we stayed there 4 or 5 years ago. My sister was traveling with my wife and me, and we had a nice, sprawling, 2BR unit. The lady who owned it also owns (or owned) another motel in town. <BR><BR>I believe it's right next to the art gallery that always has the decorated car outside. And to get to your room, you go back alongside the house (at least we did to get to ours.)

no spam Apr 10th, 2002 12:29 PM

Ambrosia 1 and 2 also accept children.

BC Apr 10th, 2002 12:30 PM

I don't particularly like kids (sorry, parents!) but did find the Island City House to be both kid-friendly as well as adult-friendly. Not a lot of noise, nice pool area, no clothing-optional area, etc.

Owen O'Neill Apr 10th, 2002 12:48 PM

In reality any guesthouse directly on Duval is closer to Bahama Village (Caribbean House is the only guesthouse I'm aware of that is directly in Bahama Village and it's diagonally across the street from Blue Heaven - still a decent location for most of us but I prefer to stay on other side of Duval). Bahama Village is an area that starts directly behind Duval, a short block or so down. It wouldn't be a great place for a single person to wander alone in late at night perhaps but otherwise is not an issue of concern. Olivia by Duval is about one very short block north of Duval - the side of their facility actually faces Centre Street. Looking at the map I now realize that the pool I had access to when I at Jasmine House was the pool at Olivia. It's a great location - very convenient to Duval but towards the other end from where the bars and the noisier night time crowds are. I would call direct and ask about whether it's a good place to bring kids - I'm suspect they'll be very candid. The owner is the aunt of linda at Jasmine. Knowing Linda I'd guess that her aunt is also child-friendly it doesn't hurt to check. I did stay at Eden House once - great pool area, hammocks and outdoor jacuzzi but not as intimate a setting a good 10-15 minute walk from Duval (10 when I walked fast and I'm a fast walker). If youhave access to the AOL forums I believe there's an active Key West Forum there - perhaps someone there may have first hand knowledge. As far as locatio goes it's fine - safe and convenient.

x Apr 10th, 2002 12:48 PM

While you are looking consider staying somewhere where other families and children are also staying. It will make it much more enjoyable for your daughter.

Judi Apr 10th, 2002 06:02 PM

Actually x, my daugter is a very quiet child. We have traveled all over the world with her since she was a baby and she does quite well without kids.<BR><BR>Thanks Owen and the rest of you for your help.

Jess Apr 11th, 2002 05:23 AM

Another vote for The Island House. Great place.