Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone know why "Dance of the Vampire" keeps changing it's Opening Night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:38 AM
George

Dance of the Vampires has had several different opening nights (I believe the most recent is scheduled for December 9th). Anyone know what all is behind these date changes? I'm wondering if it will be cancelled for opening once again? Anyone know the buzz on this?

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 08:52 AM
xxx

Here's an idea, why don't you call theater and ask?

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:00 AM
s

Previews allow for fine tuning the show. The official opening of a show is usually pushed back when it is felt the show still requires fine tuning.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Howard

Adding to the normal preview problems, first there were mechanical difficulties with the set. Then, the director's mother was critically ill and he flew to her bedside.
Now you're up to date!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:52 PM
xxx

The opening night may have changed, but it's already running in previews.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:22 PM
George

Of course I called the theater, please give me a little credit...unfortunately, they seemed a bit in the dark as well and could only tell me that it is scheduled to open December 9. Apparently, the opening production is at 6pm and the 8pm has been cancelled. I've already bought my tickets for 1/1/03 for $95. each (3rd row) and am looking forward to it. I've heard rave reviews..not sure why the delay.(?) I thought perhaps there was something going on behind the scenes. ..preview or not, I'm looking forward to it. Perhpaps, this will be another production like "CATS"...some hated it and left at intermission, others raved about it. Considering how many years CATS was on Broadwy, the latter prevailed. Thanks Howard for your info. You always seem to be more up to date than many. I appreciate your input.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Richard

George, you're probably right on the money. We saw this performance (my wife wishes she'd married Michael Crawford instead of me - I believe). Anyway, we both really enjoyed the show and would highly recommend it. With this said though, it might not be the type that would appeal to everyone. The special effects and the voices of the entire cast were more than worth the price of our tickets. Believe me, we went for Michael Crawford but found the entire cast to be magnificent. I'd highly recommend it! Perhaps, other's may find it too off the wall for their taste and might prefer "Thoroughly Modern Millie" (to me this was cute and OK but certainly nothing special like Dance of the Vampires).

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Mike

My wife and I saw it Saturday. It was very good, not great, but very good. Michael Crawford is wonderful, and the resto fthe cast is q

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Mike

(cont) and the rest of the cast is very good as well. It is a different kind of musical.. other than one song (the only song apparently not written specifically for this muscial), there was nothing I came out humming. Nevertheless i will buy the soundtrack.

Speaking to someone sitting next to us who had seen the show multiple times in previews, the changes they have been making are rather subtle, and it should open in early December as now scheduled

Bottom line: If you are a Michael Crwaford fan, it is worth seeing!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Mike

To those who have seen the preview-Is this appropriate for a 12 yr. old to see? Thanks to all those who can help.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Mike

Depends on your 12 year old - I would characterize Vampires as sexual as AIDA, if that helps. There is quite a bit of sexual innuendo - some blatant, some more subtle, and some jokes and characters involving homosexuality. Some of the dancers' outfits were quite sexual in nature