How's the weather in Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Apologies in advance for the rambling that follows.)

We're leaving for Maui in exactly 10 days - next Friday...work has been overwhelming...we're selling BF's condo and have a bidding war on our hands...no time to do any pre-vacation errands this weekend b/c we'll be in all day classes for our open water scuba certification...but you wanna know what's keeping me up at night?

What am I going to pack for Maui?

I know, it's ridiculous. But there are few things that are more stressful to me than packing for a trip. Am I bringing too much? Am I forgetting any necessities? How can I possibly limit myself to only three pairs of shoes!

Not to mention, I've heard weather can be somewhat unpredictable in Feb., so does that mean I have to bring rain gear?

Here2day...pls. help. Swimsuits are a given, shorts, t-shirts, summer dresses, jeans?, sweaters?, jackets?

Oh well, I guess it's a good problem to have.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM

If you are doing Haleakula in the early mornig you might want warm clothes. If not, my experience is shorts and bathing suits. Our jeans and jackets were pretty much left in the suit cases.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:12 PM

Well, I got excited one night last week because I was going over to Wailuku and it had been kind of cool, rainy and I thought it would be a great oppotunity to wear my boots. I was miserable all night long and will from here on in save the boots for trips off-island. I have them packed for the mainland for tomorrow.

I get "cold" at night and wear long sleeves or carry a wrap. I almost always wear dresses, skirts--never long pants unless I'll be way upcountry or if we are going down to the beach at night. Leave your shoes at home. I must own 20 pairs of slippahs--that's all I wear anymore. Shop for some here. Obvious exception would be if you plan on doing any hiking--then bring some appropriate shoes.

I'd say you can bring everything you need in a carry-on--swimwear, a few pairs of shorts, some tops. Buy a pareo when you get here. If you are making the most of your time here on Maui, you'll be wearing a swimsuit and that pareo most of the time. I'd also buy a cute little dress here. Aloha wear is everywhere and ranges from pretty darn cheap to outrageously expensive. Same goes for an aloha shirt for BF. He'll need trunks and a pair of dress shorts for special dinners. Slippahs for him too.

Forget about the rain. It might rain--it's been a rather damp winter so far this year. But it's rarely heavy rain, like days and weeks of El Niño-style downpours (although we did have that last January--but that is unusual). Remember--no rain, no rainbows. And if it's raining where you are, try the other side of the island!

Be glad you're not here this week. A weather system moved in last night, brought with it overnight rain and some lightening. Today was patchy sprinkles and kind of gray and overcast. Not at all good for the beach. The clouds and wet weather should stick with us for about a week, so they say. Hopefully by the time you get here the cloudy days will have moved on.

Now get some rest!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Once again thanks Here2day for the always sage advice. I won't plan on bringing any pants (and definitely no boots) except the jeans I'll be wearing on the plane from bitter Chicago. I'm sure we will be picking up some aloha-wear while we're there. And good news--BF sealed the deal on the condo on an offer for well over asking price. More reason for us to celebrate in Maui!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed to bring drier weather with me to the island....
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:09 AM

here today: Slippahs= Flip flops (thongs)?? The cheap rubber ones from Wal Mart..., er uh, I mean Longs or the beaded "dress" $30-50 ones from the nicer dept. stores? ( You know I like inexpensive but will spring for nicer if it is the "thing to do"). Comfort, no blisters with all the walking is a must for me!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM

Land's End has really comfortable flipflops for about $10, I think. They come in lots of colors!