Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone In Washington For The Reagan Farewell?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:43 PM
bonniebroad

Watching this procession with the riderless horse......... on it's way to the Capitol, and hearing the beautiful music from the marching bands is so moving. What a wonderful tribute to the late President! Hope we will hear from someone who is there in person.

Can you imagine .......... those who planned their vacation in Washington for this week are on hand for such an historic event. I would love to be there to pay my respects.

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too. We were just talking about that as we watched the events unfolding. It was quite a moving experience IMHO. Judy
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:51 PM

I agree. I watched the west coast farewell this morning while on the treadmill...sure is hard to run when you are so choked up.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:57 PM
emd

I just got home from Constitution Ave. I have an office on 12th St. and walked down to Constitution and 12th to see the procession. It was pretty hot, and crowded, a bigger turnout then I imagined there would be. Everyone was pretty quiet and respectful in the area I was in. Most people took the metro downtown to work today, including me, so I think alot of people who usually drive in and out and usually don't stay in the District in the evenings went over to pay their respect. I usually drive downtown on the 3-4 days a week or so that I go down there. But today since I took the metro (from a station far outside the district) I met several people and families who came in town due to the ceremonies and also people who happened to be here on vacation when this happened. But I also talked to a few familes who took their kids out of school today so they could get downtown to view the procession or line up to go through the rotunda. I have never seen a state funeral procession before in person- but like many I have the memory of Kennedy's procession. I am glad I went down for this one.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:59 PM
bonniebroad

What really stirred me tonight was the 21 jet fly-over with the missing-man maneuver. Such a magnificent tribute.......... and the music.... and when Nancy so lovingly caressed the flag on his casket at the end of the service tonight. Talk about raw emotion on display for all the world to see......

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:02 PM

emd, nice report. I would have taken the Metro in also. I am glad you saw it, you saw something quite special IMO. Judy
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM
bonniebroad

emd, I am so glad that you were able to experience this historic event in person. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!