Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Anyone have the scoop on the U.S. mint in Philly?

Anyone have the scoop on the U.S. mint in Philly?

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:14 AM
karen

Anyone have the scoop on the U.S. mint in Philly?

I was hoping to take my kids for a 3-4 trip to Philly from the DC area. As a kid, I remember the Franklin Institute (with the walk-through heart) and the U.S. mint as 2 fantastic places to visit. The U.S. mint website still indicates they are closed to the public since 9/11. Does anyone have any ideas about when they plan to start tours again? I really don't want to make the trip if we can't do that this summer!

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:35 AM
ttt

topping

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Suzy

Why not just telephone them directly and ask?

Jun 15th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Jane

Karen,

In addition to the 9/11 event, the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia is undergoing extensive renovation. Much of it has to do with the air quality and climate contol within the building. So, right now, the Mint is even closed to employees, who are reporting to work elsewhere. Why deprive your kids of seeing the 'Cradle of Liberty' just because one tourist site is unavailable???? The seaport area is great for kids--take them on the submarine and cuiser ship there and to the seaport museum and to the aquarium across the river, which you can reach by taking the ferry. Also on this side of the river is a battleship. Then, of course, the usual highlights of Idependence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House, etc. back in Philly. Take the kids on the tour to the top of city hall tower where they can be just a few feet beneath the huge statue of William Penn that overlooks the entire city. Lots and lots of fun stuff for the kids, so take them!

Jane

Search this Thread