Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone have ideas of an edible gift to take to Oahu from NYC.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting a friend on the North Shore so she does not have easy access to the gourmet shops of Honolulu. Still, I was thinking of bringing food hard to find on the island. Anyone have any ideas? I have one day to pack this stuff and I need to be able to find it in Manhattan.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Any kind of processed ethnic treat that isn't well-represented on the islands: Hispanic, Jewish, Italian, etc. Think back to the last time you went shoping or dining out with this fridne: What does she like? Be careful, though, Hawaii has very strict rules about importing fresh fruits and veggies.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:43 PM

Not sure how it will hold up temperature-wise, but how about champagne truffles from Teuscher?

Also, before landing in Hawaii, I had to fill out a form declaring certain types of food (agricultural products?). I can't exactly remember what, perhaps someone else might know. You should keep this in mind when purchasing your food gifts.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Annoymous that is exactly what I was thinking.

I walked by a Swedish store this afternoon and picked up Gooseberry Jam, Pancakes, Eldeflower Saft (drink), rosehips soup, chocolate, traditional dill sauce for fish.

I also have Parmaseana Reggiano 2 huge hunks. I know you guys probably have this in the islands but this is aged, imported blah blah blah. I am guessing yours is far more costly?

Sounds like a lot but I need more. Imported Pasta?

I was also thinking of cooking Indian, can I find Indian curry pastes etc?

Thanks Shebs that sounds good too. I am worried about melting but I could put it on dry ice. What do you think of Baklava? I can find Middle Easter (pistachios instead of walnuts). Do you see Baklava often on Oahu, the walnut kind?

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:04 PM
GoTravel

Bagels from Ess-a-bagel and black and white cookies.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

go travel won't bagels dry up in a plane? I was thinking about. Black and white are they good? I have only heard they kind of basic, yellow cake with a sugar based frosting? I was thinking Canolies or some rum cream pastries from Vinneros. Just worried about the transport of them. Ugh! anyone else?
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

sorry go travel that sounds RUDE. Just questioning, do you really like those cookies and do you think the bagels will stay soft with air-travel.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:33 PM

I agree with you about the chocolate melting... I had the same concerns. I just got back from Hawaii a week and a half ago and carried chocolate macadamias in my carry-on (no dry ice) and though it was over 90 degrees when I landed in LGA, it was fine. Still, no guarantees.

I'm actually from NYC so I can't say if Baklava is common in Oahu, but I'd have the same concerns with the sugar coating on the Baklava getting strange as the chocolate melting.

As for curry pastes, I had a few restaurant meals in Hawaii with curry in the dishes so I'm assuming it's available. I went to a Safeway supermarket in Maui and it seemed to be better stocked than the Food Emporium or Gristedes in my neighborhood. I also wouldn't be surprised if that Safeway had everything that I could find at Grace's Marketplace or Citerella.

Finally, I'd make sure that Parmasean- Reggiano was allowed on the island before going through the trouble.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:40 PM

I bought a bunch of burritos, froze them and carried them in a small cooler (Igloo) to Oahu for a very grateful friend.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

thanks enjoylife did you buy them in NYC if so where. That does sound good. I already have the igloo.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks shebs I am going to call on the cheese right now.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:15 PM

Sarah,

How about a box of those yummy black and white cookies. I've heard so much about them but am not sure what would be the best bakery in the City to get them. Would you or anyone else happen to know about where I can find them?

Another idea would be some Italian biscotti. They are great with coffee.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:16 PM

Robertson, try Zabars on the Upper West Side.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Thanks Shebs.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Go downtown to Katz's and get the most delicious salami.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

salami that's sounds great and it will go with the Parmesan. How do you pick a salami? I will probably just go to Agata and Valintina or Eli's and pick something imported.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:12 PM

My cousin bought me a wide variety of cheeses from New York once. We do have cheeses here in Hawaii but not in the selection that you have in New York. If it were ME, I would enjoy cheeses.

My Indian friend sometimes cooks for us, but only when his mom brings (or mails) spices from home. Otherwise he can't cook an authentic meal....or he improvises, which isn't the same. The selection of Indian spices here is not too good.

We have burritos, pasta, baklava (no one makes them better than my aunt Anita!), and cookies. Did you ask your friends if they wanted anything in particular?
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:01 AM

agree w/ melissa on cheeses (not a big selection here, altho parmigiana reggiano avlbl even at safeway) and pasta and baklava (we have, yes, w/ walnuts).

if someone asked ME this question i wd say: black and white cookies (ever since seinfeld, been dying to try one), some nice hard salami and some bialys. found them at one place on maui but think new york stuff must be better.

also, while we have a wide variety of asian restaurants (and groceries), plus italian, french, mexican, greek, we have next to no eastern european, caribbean or african cuisine. even if u froze some borscht or goulash it wd be exotic. we don't even have cuban sandwiches, fried plantains or red beans and rice. (maybe it's time to go to new york!)
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:53 AM

This might be easier -- H&H will ship bagels anywhere in the world. Just call and they ship by the dozens. You can arrange them to arrive right after you do!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Wow I went to sleep and woke up and look at all of these answers!!!
Excuse me while I read.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -