Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone have ideas for a hotel near Disneyland for a summer vacation? So far, I'm striking out.

Anyone have ideas for a hotel near Disneyland for a summer vacation? So far, I'm striking out.

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:09 AM
Cindy

I've checked the Embassy Suites and Marriott Residence inn for our July trip. The prices are $169 and $189 respectively. Calling the hotel directly didn't help. We wanted a suite, but now we'll take a nice hotel instead. Does anyone have any recent insight on how I can get a good hotel near Disneyland?

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:29 AM
kam

You might try Peacock Suites at (714) 535-8255. Never been inside but it looks OK from the outside and is an all suite hotel. There's also a Comfort Suites, Radisson Suites,and many others all of which offer Disneyland packages. Check out a AAA tour book or the Mobil guide. There's a book called "Disneyland and Beyond" that you might try to find. It gives suggestions for family trips to Disneyland, Universal studios, San Diego daytrips and Orange Co. day trips. Good luck.

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:04 AM
John

I just looked at Expedia and found a bunch of places in mid-July that offer suites. Another option, though, is to stay someplace besides Anaheim, which apart from all the theme parks is a pretty miserable place to stay IMO. Check out Huntington or Newport Beach, which I bet you'd find more pleasant than Anaheim in July.

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:30 AM
betty

We have had great luck getting great discounts on 5 miles or less hotels for disney by calling the Kissimee/St.Cloud Chamber of Commerce and asking for their chamber discount book of coupons (you have to pick it up or allow time for them to send it, one year the embassy suites was only $69).

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:52 AM
kam

When I answered the post, I thought Cindy was talking about California. Now Betty is talking about Florida, which I think is Disney World, not land. Anyway, my response has to do with Disneyland in Anaheim, CA.

Old May 1st, 2001, 01:48 PM
Cindy

Thanks, all. I was talking about California.

If we chose Newport Beach or Huntington, what would the morning commute to Disneyland be like if we'd like to get there at 7:30 a.m. or so?

Thanks again.

Old May 1st, 2001, 03:18 PM
John

The park opens at 8 AM; from HB or NB at rush hour it would probably take around 30 min. using surface streets, mainly Harbor Blvd., on which Disneyland is located.

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:26 PM
kam

Newport or Huntington would be a much prettier place to stay than Anaheim. I do think John is optimistic with 30 minutes---I've been in terrible traffic in Costa Mesa, but maybe it's gotten better (?) in the last few years? John, to get to Anaheim from Newport don't you have to go through Costa Mesa? The only thing Anaheim offers is Disneyland whereas the other suggestions are So. Ca beach towns and nice on their own.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:01 PM
Cindy

I'm still working on this, but I have more questions. First, are there other cities that are close enough to Disneyland so that we won't be stuck in traffic? Hotel reservation agents have suggested Fullerton and Santa Ana. Second, are there particular streets near Disneyland that are too seedy to bother with? I'm thinking about Harbor Blvd and Anaheim Avenue.

Thanks.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:15 PM
hans

It's been a couple of years but we (2 adults 2 teen boys) stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel on Harbor Blvd. in Anaheim. Not a suite but a larger (and clean) hotel room with two large doubles (I think), good, frequent, and free access to the park, on the bus line for trips to Universal Studios and the airport, 2 pools, laundry facilities, walking distance to fast food and family restaurants (Denny's, etc). I don't remember the prices but I do recall thinking they were very competitive at the time.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:24 PM
John

Hi again, Cindy,
It may be a little more than 30 min. from the beach to Disneyland, of course it depends on exactly where one starts. From Newport Beach one would indeed transit Costa Mesa for part of the drive, from most parts of Huntington Beach you wouldn't. If I say "under 45 min." I'm pretty confident.
My view on the area right around Disneyland is that it's not very attractive, it can be rather hot and smoggy compared to the beach areas, and it's so geared to tourists (including conventioneers and baseball and other sports events attendees) that it becomes very anonymous. I don't think it's particularly seedy, although there are bound to be some seedy buildings and side streets, but it's just many of the surface streets around the park are strip commercial wildernesses, and most of the residential areas are typical So. Calif. "walled cities" (high concrete block walls surrounding subdivisions) the effect of which is to make it a place you want to get through rather than get to. Just my opinion.

Santa Ana and Fullerton are interesting places in their own right - both relatively older settlements with some historic buildings still in evidence, lively social life (Santa Ana is very multicultural with a rich Latino heritage), lots to recommend. However, both, like Anaheim, are inland and in July you may find them smoggy and warm compared to the cooler and breezy beach areas.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 03:53 PM
kam

Good advice from John. I would stay at the beach in July. Fullerton is an old area similar to Pasadena and near where the Nixon Library is I believe, if that's of any interest. But, it can be hot and smoggy in summer. I think when we describe Anaheim as "seedy" we're thinking boring, Orange Co. sprawl--concrete walls and nondescript buildings, lots of mini malls, rather than rundown and dangerous.Go to www.newportbeach-cvb.com to look for hotels in Newport. Huntington is www.hbvisit.com. I have to apologize to John though because the Newport Beach tourist site says it's only 20 minutes from Disney. I must be a slow driver! From Newport you can get a boat over to Catalina for a daytrip and the Festival of the Arts is on in Laguna Beach in July. Even though I think the beach is better, I did find the BW Park Place Inn and Suites across Harbour Blvd. from the main gate of Disney. Think it's in your price range....go to www.bestwestern.com/parkplaceinn Let us know what you decide.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:59 PM
xxx

If you're choosing between Fullerton and Santa Ana, definitely opt for Fullerton. While Fullerton is a college community and has a quaint downtown area, Santa Ana is quite hispanic in nature and wouldn't really be a great place for a family to stay.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:30 AM
hans

It depends on whether you are going with kids and how old they are. I agree that staying someplace away from the park (Fullerton, etc.) can be much nicer. But (and it's a big but) if you are there with kids, especially little kids, driving to and fromt he park will get very old. The excitement to them of being right next door is a big deal. You can also easily leave during the heat of the day, enjoy the pool or a nap, and come back later in the evening when it's cooler and everyones more rested. No extra drive, no extra parking. Disneyland at night is also a different experience.