Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with Poipu Arms or Kuhio Shores.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Sarah

I am looking for a rental for end of July or August. I usually go to the North Shore but this time I want to explore Kokee more extensively. Anyone have any suggestions if you can tell me about your rental, places to avoid or look into.

Thanks

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Julie

Sarah - we stayed at Kuhio Shores a few years ago in the winter. We got a great deal on vrbo.com for a one bedroom corner unit on the 3rd floor. The views were amazing. We saw turtles and whales from our lanai everyday. The complex is nothing special -- there is no pool. It is right next door to the Beach House restaurant and is truly oceanfront. Units are individually owned so they will vary in decor and condition, but we felt we really lucked out. The unit we rented has gone up in price, but I think you can still find some good prices for units at this complex.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Sarah

Thanks Julie if you can remember the unit you were in that would be helpful. If you get a minute check out at vbro.com.? If you are free anyway.

Thanks again.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Julie

Actually, I have it bookmarked (maybe we'll go back one day!) you can find it at http://www.vrbo.com/vrbo/8724.htm. The prices has gone up a lot since we were there, unfortunately (we paid $99 per night; it's $150 now). We will be in Kauai the first week of Feburary and are renting a cottage from Gloria's Vacation Rentals. It's a one-bedroom cottage, oceanfront, near Spouting Horn and the rent is only $135 per night which I think is a steal. Check it out on Gloria's website, gloriasvacationrentals.com. It's called Kukulia Kottage.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Sarah

will do keep us posted on Glorias say hello to the whales for me! Never am able to make it in winter!!

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Sarah

Julie are switching for price reasons or did you want to try something new?

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Julie

Sarah - a little of both. Also, there will be three of us going, and the floor plan at Kuhio Shores was not practical for that (you have to go through the bedroom to get to the only bathroom). Mostly, though, it is because the cottage just looks really cool! I'll post a report when we return.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Julie

I just noticed that Gloria's also rents a few units at Kuhio Shores and has one listed for only $110. Also, Kuhio Shores has its own website, www.kuhioshores.net, I think.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Sarah

Julie just looked at Glorias nice.
What are you near there? I might end up going alone this year so I need to think about the security of traditional complex but oh to see the stars at night in a wide open space like that condo suggests.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Sarah

anybody awake in Hawaii want to add some hints?

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Julie, would love to know how the Kukuila Cottage turned out.... will you please let us know? Thanks a bunch