Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anyone have a favorite couple on the Amazing Race show? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anyone-have-a-favorite-couple-on-the-amazing-race-show-524662/)

AnnaR Apr 27th, 2005 06:43 AM

Anyone have a favorite couple on the Amazing Race show?

I've become a regular watcher mostly to look at the different counties and have gotten to rooting for the older couple.Did anyone see her, at 66!, climb that wall!!

iceeu2 Apr 27th, 2005 06:55 AM

AnnaR, I like Meredith & Gretchen also. Just don't see how they keep on plugging along, since they can't find their clues, etc...

I guess I am the only person on the planet that likes Rob & Amber. I think they are very even keel.

Tired of the whining southerners.

Barbara Apr 27th, 2005 07:05 AM

There's a long thread on the Europe board about the Amazing Race.

vespertine Apr 27th, 2005 07:16 AM

I like Rob & Amber also; he's got a great way with people and is always polite to the folks he meets. Amber is kinda just along for the ride, but they compliment one another well.

I don't like Ron & Kelly. She's annoying and he is a bore. The older couple are funny, but they need to get it together and think more clearly or they're gonna lose!

Barbara Apr 27th, 2005 07:33 AM

iceeu2, you're not the only person on the planet rooting for R&A. I am too, despite loathing them in Survivor. Most people here seem to really hate them. They are the best team without a doubt,smartest players and treat each other and the people they meet very well, though Rob's smart mouth got them into third place last night.

As far as the older couple is concerned, I dislike Gretchen very much, but give her huge credit for climbing last night.

stjohnbound Apr 27th, 2005 07:35 AM

This is a great show. Where else can you hear a beauty queen call her POW boyfriend a piece of trash redneck! I seriously doubt those two are still together. Rob and Ambuh are my favorites although the black couple are moving up my list fast.

BigJim Apr 27th, 2005 07:40 AM

Joyce and Uchena are my favorite. Hands down! It sucks that they didn't get a reward for finishing 1st TWICE now! Maybe I'd like Rob and Amber more if they actually RACED instead of asking every John, Dick, and Harry to help them out and actually ride along with them and show them where to go! Can't they do anything on their own??
The only reason Meredith and Gretchen are still in the race is that they've been LUCKY to have so many other DUMB teams racing against them!

stjohnbound Apr 27th, 2005 07:43 AM

I agree about Meredith and Gretchen just being lucky. Joyce and Uchenna also need to quit helping those two. I can't stand listening to Gretchen and her wining anymore!

stjohnbound Apr 27th, 2005 07:46 AM

Oops, that's "whining".

travelinwifey Apr 27th, 2005 07:51 AM

I think Romber will win but Uchenna and Joyce are our favorites. Also, CBS will be airing Romber's nuptuals soon after the finale of the Amazing Race - coincidence?

Barbara Apr 27th, 2005 07:53 AM

BigJim, R&A are the only couple that has actually raced every week. Finding a local to help them is a strategy that has been used many times in the Amazing Race in past seasons. Some of the other teams tis time have also used helpers, but R&A have been the most consistent in doing so. Not using everything at your disposal indicates poor gamesmanship to me.

DeborahB Apr 27th, 2005 08:07 AM

I want Uchenna and Joyce to win. They race well and they seem like good folks.

makai1 Apr 27th, 2005 08:37 AM

Love love love this show for the places traveled to... that being said on "a travel forum" :D ...

I liked (past tense) Rob & Amber until he started being cocky, calling other teams "stupid" and all the other derogatory comments that fly carelessly out of his mouth... very lacking in kindness doesn't give me much reason to root for him. Amber's just laughs at his foolish comments which makes her just as bad.

I enjoy and root for the teams that show each other (and others) respect. Play hard, play smart, give it your all... yes, Ramber team plays smart... but they are jerks to others in the process... I can't respect that.

makai1 Apr 27th, 2005 08:40 AM

oops, forgot to answer the question... Uchenna and Joyce... nice to see a married couple act the way they do... was he a gent to her while she decided to shave her head, or what?

snowrooster Apr 27th, 2005 08:43 AM

I really like Rob & Amber - I guess I feel like I almost know them better having watched them on Survivor. I like Uchenna & Joyce as well - I feel like she DESERVES to win just for shaving her head!! Kelly wins the award for the biggest bonehead comment about Ron being a POW just to avoid committment - I hope she now realizes what a stupid thing that was to say! I think all the remaining couples and decent folk and I wouldn't mind if any of them won.

GailLK Apr 27th, 2005 08:52 AM

I've been watching this show since the beginning and I think the destinations they did this season are kind of blah and drab! But the show would really come to life if Meredith and Gretchen win!!! What a burn that would be to Rob and Amber who are kind of always "into" themselves thinking they are the best team ever!
Let's give that $1 million prize money to the couple who really needs and deserves it. I kind of like Uchenna and Joyce since they seem to be having some fun. May the best team win!

ncgrrl Apr 27th, 2005 09:21 AM

I'd like Joyce and Uchenna to win. She deserves something for shaving her head. At least she has a good head. I'd look really bad with a shaved head.

Though having Gretchen and Meredith win would be a hoot and they would become AARP poster children for what you can do in your retirement years.

bluestructure Apr 27th, 2005 09:22 AM

The old couple was very determined to finished every leg. Yes, a few times they were lucky but I think they are doing great. Meredith broke a few bones in his foot during the elephant detour when it ran over him. He didn't say anything to anyone because he feared they would have been ejected from the race. It makes sense that Gretchen did that climb. Just a lil inside info I have. I also know who won the race when it ended on Dec 17 so I won't post it. haha I can't wait til season 8 when the teams consist of more than just 2 people. This is a great show to watch as is Survivor!

AnnaR Apr 27th, 2005 10:03 AM

Iceeu2, I know it cracks me up the way Meredith & Gretchen seem to stumble along and still stay in the race! What irony when Rob made that comment about there being an earlier flight, THEN they couldn't get on one.

Hummm, did someone say they know who won?? Never mind don't tell me.......

nerfbert Apr 27th, 2005 10:25 AM

I preferred the old couple from Amazing Race 6 who weren't so whiny. I loved it when in one episode, they got in someone else's car and started driving away without even realizing it!