Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with the Belmont/Southport area of Chicago?

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very "localized" question! Our daughter wants to go to Uncle Fun this Sunday. They close at 5:00 on Sundays. We'd also like to stay in the area for dinner as there are seveal places nearby that we enjoy (Schuba's, Beat Kitchen, The Schoolyard and a couple of others). But 5:00 is too early for us. Can anyone recommend anything else to do in the area, say between 5:00 and 7:00 on a Sunday?

Bookstores (used or new), record stores, quirky little shops, an interesting block of homes, a nice park, somewhere that might have music, an interesting cemetery...I'm looking for any and all suggestions.

Thank you!

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Probably should have mentioned that our "kids" are 20 and 16. So we're not looking for "little kid" kind of stuff.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Go to the neighborhood around Clark and Belmont. You'll find a bunch of quirky shops/bookstores, etc.. It was one of my favorite places to go explore as a teenager.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lizziea. We enjoy that area very much! The shops are great around there. Not only the quirky ones but the used bookstores too! That's definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for, but am hoping for something a little closer to Southport. Thanks for reminding me of that area though as it may wind up being our best bet.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Going to Uncle Fun! A wonderful place to rummage around looking for goodies.

Well, since it's hit-or-miss with the rain this Sunday, you could always head up Southport and go to the Music Box Theatre. A showing of The Proposition starts at 4:45 pm.

And, if you haven't ever been there, try Tango Sur for dinner. Make sure to have the flan.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM

CAPH52, I thought I'd better post a P.S. on this suggestion. The Proposition has a lot of violence, similar to Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch".

However, I just thought of another suggestion: if you still wanted to go to the movies, at the Landmark Century Cinema, they are having "A Prairie Home Companion" at 4:50 pm and "An Inconvenient Truth" at 4:40 pm, the documentary about global warming.

Talk about some dissimilar movies! Maybe your husband and son will want the first and you and your daughter the second or third!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, exciledprincess! My husband never misses listening to Prarie Home Companion on Saturdays. Our kids call it his "old man show"! He's already told me that Ebert gave the movie 4 stars! Our daughter said she'd like to see it too. Since we've never been to a movie at the Music Box, that just might be the answer to our dilemma.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Just realized you said "Prarie Home Companion" is at the Landmark Century Cinema. Still a great suggestion though!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:59 AM

CAPH52, glad the suggestion was of merit! Although it's a chain, albeit one that shows indie films, the Landmark does have those comfy seats!

If you have the opportunity, please do go to the Music Box sometime soon. Best time is on the weekends when they have the organist during the intermission, during one of their special silent film showings - or, especially, during their Christmas sing-a-long!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:32 AM

CAPH52, if your husband is a big fan of the show, have you ever gone to Ravinia when Garrison Keillor is there? June 17th this year for the live national broadcast.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, exciledprincess! We'll definitely have to put the Music Box on our list!

I had no idea Garrison Keillor was going to be at Ravinia next weekend. Would've made a great Father's Day gift! But my husband and son have Cubs tickets that day. Even though I'm pretty sure it's a day game, it'd be too much to try to do both.

But I'm so glad you mentioned it. Now I know to watch for it next year!