Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Probs W/ Continental Baggage Fees?

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Long story short....flew from U.S. to Mexico on Continental, no problems. Returning, agent told us our bags (2) each weighed 58lbs and we would have to pay $50 overweight charge per bag. Gave him our credit card. On return home we noticed we had been charged $200 instead of $100. Called Continental and they verified that the charge should have been $50 per bag, not $100 per bag. (We have receipt on Continental tickethead that says we were charged $200 for 2 overweight bags). However, they also state that they have no way of refunding the charge. Huh? They won't credit our card or issue any kind of a refund because "we don't refund baggage fees". Huh? I've talked to 3 "customer care" agents and to 1 "baggage agent" and it's the same story. HELP!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM
yk

I have no experience dealing with Continental, but last month I had some issues with American Airlines. I tried calling several times and spoke with various agents to no avail. So I ended up contacting them by writing (via an online contact form on their website). The issue was resolved within a few days to my satisfaction.

So my suggestion for you is to do the same, rather than calling again for the 5th time, just go ahead to CO's website and click for the Customer Care section.
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...r/default.aspx

Alternatively, can you have your CC block and dispute that charge?
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Stop talking to agents and talk to managers. Or do as yk suggests and write to them.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Yes, will dispute with Ccard company. It just makes me mad that airlines try to get away with this nonsense. "The price is $50, yes, but we charged you $100 by mistake and there's nothing we can do about it. We don't correct our mistakes. Even after 55 minutes on hold".

"And we have no idea why our customer service reputation is so bad".
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Even more importantly, don't pay the credit card bill - tell your credit card company that there is an incorrect charge, and that you are not going to pay the incorrect charges. That way, you also have your credit card company working for you....
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM

I am sorry clarkgriswold. Emailing is better then trying to work it out via the phone. If that doesn't work do contact your CC Co...but make sure you do so within the required time limit they require for disputes.

Also..this is a very good reminder to ALWAYS look at the amount before signing for a CC charge. And I mean that for myself also so sure not critizing.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Although it's too late for you this time, here's a hint.

It would have been way cheaper for you to have removed some items from each bag to get it under 50 lbs and put it in a third bag and then checked it or carried it on. A third checked bag costs a lot less than even $50 a bag.

I always carry a small, nylon duffle type bag with me. It is in an outside zippered pocket of suitcase. That makes it very easy to quickly take it out, get some thngs from other bags and put it in the duffle and check it. If the weight is ok, you don't need to use duffle.

Also it is very handy for those "gotta buy" items you see while traveling and you don't have room in regular suitcase.

Deb
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Debi: Even more importantly, don't pay the credit card bill - tell your credit card company that there is an incorrect charge, and that you are not going to pay the incorrect charges. That way, you also have your credit card company working for you....

Well, if you don't pay the CC bill, then you'll just pay interest on the unpaid balance. It's not going to motivate the CC company to work harder for you - they'd prefer you not pay it so they can charge you the interest.

Instead, the best solution is to dispute the charge with your credit card company as others have mentioned. But you must do this quickly because you have only about 60 days after the charge to dispute it. The CC company will expect you have made a reasonable effort to resolve the issue before disputing the charge, meaning probably a 2nd call after the first one to try to get half of it refunded (also noting down the names of the people who deny it next time). After that, turn it over of the credit card company as a dispute.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM

If you dispute it within the required time frame, I think the CC company will tell you that you don't have to pay the disputed charge.

The CC company will ask you to prove that the charge was incorrect, and to provide information about the phone call that you made to try to resolve the matter yourself.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Ended up emailing the CEO of the airline, his assistant emailed me for more details, then someone called me and promised a $100 refund. I saw the credit on my card in about 6 weeks.