Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anyone else find the Chowhound format annoying? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anyone-else-find-the-chowhound-format-annoying-612935/)

lisettemac May 4th, 2006 08:26 AM

Anyone else find the Chowhound format annoying?

I find the site doesn't maneuver well and don't like the way replies to messages are listed. Nor do I like how they encourage you NOT to put substantive info in the title line. Anyway, just my musings.

pepper131 May 4th, 2006 08:30 AM

I HATE their message board (not the people or info) and don't participate in it because of it's lousy format.

Judyrem May 4th, 2006 08:33 AM

I agree it needs some major revamping! What a pain!

Gekko May 4th, 2006 08:38 AM

I loathe not only the format but the pretentious morons who post regularly. Please, anyone who uses the word "foodie" should be taken out back and beat silly.

(And anyone who pathetically self-identifies as a "foodie," oh jeez, don't get me started!)

:)

grantop May 4th, 2006 08:40 AM

I detest the format, the typeface, etc. Unfortunately because of that I don't use it and I know there is some good information there - somewhere.

rb_travelerxATyahoo May 4th, 2006 08:54 AM

Ugh--- why do you come HERE to discuss and "dis" another messageboard?

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to appeal to "chowhound"?

bbqboy May 4th, 2006 09:04 AM

What a funny complaint, considering this board is almost, but not quite, as archaic.
CH and here share a lot in common. Inside knowledge on the REAL best places to go in any given area.
C-net bought them so you might get your wish.
There are very few no register boards left.
The fact CH is (was?) non profit, worldwide and knowledgeable is the type of stuff that makes the internet wonderful.
Sure there are a bunch of pompous folks, but also the best cooking advice, and instant feedback on anything, as long as food is involved,
even remotely.

RBCal May 4th, 2006 09:46 AM

I have gotten many tips on reasonable good restaurants from Chowhound and I haven't found a better source for restaurant info yet.
I don't like the format but it is easy to search by destination. The most annoying thing the moderators do is that they are incredibly strict about the location you post. For example, posts for Orange County MUST go in the LA section. However, anything that is an inch into Riverside, San Bernardino or Ventura County MUST go in the California section.
Chowhound was just sold so the format might improve.

lisettemac May 4th, 2006 10:42 AM

I didn't post this because I was "appealing" to this site to do something about it. If that were the case, you're right, I'd be better off "appealing" there. I posted here because so many Fodor's posters refer people to Chowhound, I tried that site and found it frustrating, and wondered if anyone else thought the same.

Betsy May 4th, 2006 11:22 AM

If you go to to www.chowhound.com you'll see the announcement that they've been purchased by CNET Networks and will be getting new software "redesigned by an awesome design firm." Yea!

starrsville May 4th, 2006 01:08 PM

Hate it too.

Mincepie May 4th, 2006 01:13 PM

Iagree..good info..but terrible site..let's hope it improves.

christy1 May 4th, 2006 01:35 PM

This is great! I too hate the format, but whenever anyone does complain or offer a suggestion (as I and many others have), Jim Leff posts and claims that Chowhound users LOVE the format. He then goes on and on about why the layout is actually superior to other boards.

It probably differs on the different Chowhound forums (e.g. maybe the New York group is terrific, but I never look at that), but I think the users at egullet.com and mouthfulsfood.com are a much better source for food and restaurant ideas. They are for my region at least.

SusieQQ May 4th, 2006 02:39 PM

I guess I'm in the minority...I have no problem with chowhound...I read three different boards without any difficulty and use it's search engine without problems.

Scarlett May 4th, 2006 02:42 PM

I rarely read Chowhound since I found out about some **people** who post on there that make up all of their reviews.
Like TripAdvisor, I don't know how much you can rely on anything said there, especially by the self proclaimed "foodies" lol..

Suzie May 4th, 2006 03:35 PM

AAArghhh Scarlett what do you mean you can't rely on TA? Is there something about that board that's wrong? Do tell!!!

Neopolitan May 4th, 2006 03:40 PM

I'm sort of glad someone brought it up. For years I have been gritting my teeth here every time someone suggests going to Chowhound. If a person knew nothing about a city and went to Chowhoud, after three hours of pouring through that impossible to maneuver list of stuff, he'd still know nothing. I have never understood why so many people recommend going there to get information.

Scarlett May 4th, 2006 03:52 PM

LOL Suzie, I am learning my lessons every day, I am beginning to not believe Anything I hear (read) LOL
Of course, anything you read that has been written by me, is the Absolute Truth.

I just found out that one of those chowhounds got kicked off those boards..now what do you have to do to get kicked off a board where you talk about food all the time? Use the word <i>yummy</i> too often :D

Fodorite018 May 4th, 2006 04:04 PM

I tried reading it a few months ago. Takes WAY too much time and even then I didn't care for it. I read just enough to see that people who had been kicked off were back posting with really silly names.

cigalechanta May 4th, 2006 04:09 PM

I'm in Boston,and I'd never go there for advice! on my area!!
Hi Scarlet, Neo, I don't stop by here too often