Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

anyone been to sanibel harbour resort and spa?

Dec 28th, 1999, 11:24 AM
lori

I am looking for a luxurious yet family-friendly Florida resort to visit. The Sanibel Harbour Resort and Spa comes to mind; has anyone been there who can testify to the resort's amenities, beach, condominiums, service, food, pool, etc. Any info. is appreciated.

Dec 29th, 1999, 11:15 AM
Patrick

I live in the area. By far the top place to be on Sanibel (actually Captiva) is South Seas Plantation --very family friendly (my only objection as a non-family traveler). Beats Sanibel Harbour Resort by a landslide. Are you aware by the way that Harbour Resort is not on Sanibel at all--but across the bay? You need to pay $3.00 toll bridge everytime you want to go to the beach, a couple of miles drive away.
South Seas has it all, right at the northern tip of Captiva, beach, boats, and all right there (although it is a drive to virtually all the rest of Sanibel and Captiva) --which is true of the whole islands.

Dec 29th, 1999, 08:43 PM
david

Stayed at the resort in October. My wife and I love it. Due to it being off season the resort was nice and quiet. We were happy sitting by the pool and reading books so not having a natural beach did not matter. The spa and tennis facilites were very nice. The staff was incridible they bent over backwords for anything and everything. I do not know what the rates are for the time you are interested in but I do not think I would have stayed there if the price was over $250 a day. We had a suite in October for $129 a night.

Dec 31st, 1999, 01:09 PM
Dara

We stayed at the SHRS this past October on another couple's rec.- the place was wonderful. The food was great, the rooms were comfortable with balconies and fabulous views of the gulf, and the staff was accommodating. we will be back.

Jan 1st, 2000, 07:27 AM
Patrick

We all have different tastes and that's what makes the world go round, but if anyone has a "fabulous view of the gulf" from Sanibel Harbour Resort and Spa, it is indeed remarkable, since the resort is on the river where it meets the bay and there is the entire island of Sanibel between it and the gulf. Of course, if you looked over the big bridge, I suppose you could glimpse the actual gulf just off the south end of Sanibel Island. It is indeed a pretty area, I just worry about people who go there thinking it's on Sanibel when it isn't, and nowhere within walking distance of the Gulf beach.