Anyone been to Discovery Cove in Orlando?

Old May 1st, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to Discovery Cove in Orlando?

Going to Orlando this month. The adds for Discovery Cove(swim with Dolphins etc.) looks fun but expensive. Has anyone been there and could you tell me if it is worth the outrageous prices for the experience.
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM

Go to disboards.com - there is a discussion forum for Sea World/Discovery Cove - you'll find lots of great info there.
We went to DC in Feb and loved it - felt it was worth the $$$. You also get 7 free days at either Sea World or Busch Gardens (Tampa). We chose Sea World and spent 2 days there, which was great. At DC everything is included - wet suits, snorkel equipment, a wonderful lunch. There is also an area to swim with sting rays, a tropical reef snorkel area, a warm freshwater lazy river and an aviary (you get a small cup of food and the birds land on you!). Of course, the dolphin swim itself (about 1/2 hr) is incredible. Be prepared for the high prices of their photos - it's easy to want to buy them all!
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you for your information about DC. I have had a life long dream of swimming with Dolphins but have not had the opportunity to do it.
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:46 PM

It's definitely worth it.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:52 PM

I thought it was worth it especially when you take advantage of the Sea World passes. We loved Discovery Cove- very pleasant experience.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:55 AM

I took my adolescent niece there a couple of years ago, and even though we reserved too late to do the dolphins, we still thought it was the highlight of our trip. Your price includes parking, a locker for your belongings, and lunch in their restaurant. It also includes the neoprene vests, and maybe even the mask and snorkel. Also you get a one-day pass to Sea World. Make sure you spend some time in the aviary, feeding the birds. Given what it includes and the fact that it is limited to 1000 people a day, it is a nice break from the crowds in the theme parks. I would do it again.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:11 AM

We did this (with a 12 year old) 2 years ago.

It was an incredible experience and well worth the expensive price tag. I am not sure if it is still very popular but we had to book 2 months ahead (we were in FL Memorial Day weekend).

We have about 30 minutes one on one time with the dolphins, 5 or 6 people to a dolphin. We got to ride on them by holding their fin, feed them, "talk" to them and learn everything you ever wanted to know about dolphins.

This was the cleanest park I have ever been in my life. Lunch was great (more of a meal than a fast food experience).

We then went snorkling in their pool - another great experience.

It was nice that they limit the number of guests as it wasn't too crowded.